Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Tupac Shakur .US - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I own Tupac Shakur .US, and would like your oppinion on possible legal issues over the name. Should I expect problems, and if so - how to avoid them? Any help and comments appreciated. PS: Domain itself is being discussed here: Tupac Shakur .US thread

Heres comment from another DNF member:
Originally posted by William9
My appraisal is:

Tupac.US - worth $,$$$
Tupacshakur.US – is it worth a legal headache?

I suggest you also post your question to the Legal forum. Briefly – the Shakur estate lost UDRP against Tupac.com, but, your registration is another story. Your current strategy could be to build value but stay under the radar.

Good luck

Domain Summit 2024

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the domain is setup as a fan site, then there is nothing to worry about. If you are making money off of it or have pron on it or if try to sell it to his estate, then you could be pushing the envelope and could lose the name if challanged.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. I would certainly develop a fan site. What exactly is considered as "making money of it"? If I had an affiliate link of another site on it, would that be "wrong"?

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you sold merchandise or services not even related to Tupac. As far as a link, I don't know. I don't put links on mine, just to be on the safe side.

Ari Goldberger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain names containing the names of celebrities are best protected if used for an unofficial fan site that clearly states it is not affiliated with the celebrity (or its estate). Incidentally, there was a UDRP case involving tupac.com and tupac.net where the registrant prevailed based on its use of the names for a fan site.

http://www.disputes.org/eresolution/decisions/0348.htm

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ari is right... try speaking to our pal -RJ- tupac.com is his domain.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ciqala, Ari: Thanks, I have.

DNQuest: you said that it would be wrong if I would sell merchandise or services not even related to Tupac. So If It would be set up as a fan site, and as part of a fan site also offer merchandise, related to him, ie: cds, tshirts, stickers, posters (all original offcourse) would that be ok? PS: Which celeb site do you own? May I see it?

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Selling Tupac mechandise would need a licencing agreement with his estate, but if you did have a fan club and selling the fan club shirts may be acceptable. I would still stay away from that type of approach (depending if a person is really a fan, or is ultimately looking to sell the domain ).

It is a real tricky situation and of the answers supplied are not gospel. With lawyers involved, anything can happen (no offense to our friends). Just look at current websites where the famous person lost (EI- www.brucespringsteen.com) and see what they are doing and just stay along those lines. Since a precedence has been set, you could always refer to those. Of course, lawyers coming after you will state precedence of losing domains.

hope this helps.

www.kareemabduljabbar.com

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks! All info has been very helpfull. Ill try to follow the rules as much as possible..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom