Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.Us , .Biz , .Info forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since when were .us, .info and .biz alternatives? :D

In some cases, these extensions are preferable to .com as an internet address.

Domain summit 2024

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doing that will show alienation from mainstream extensions (com,net,org).

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aliens ? where ? LOL

make a another forum discussion for them .com, .net .org ..I am just trying to simplify and narrow a persons search as DNforums grows..
If we want to discuss .Info here at DN .. you go to the .Info forum ...com s the .coms forum.. etc..

Just for the top 6 extensions ... everthing is like stew right know all blended together..nothing wrong with stew..but sometimes I like the beef in the middle of the plate..the carrots and peas seperate..

what the heck am I talking about.. ha

What happen if the posting involves more than one TLD .com / .net / .org / .info / .biz / .name , do you need to crossposting huh?
I mean in case mole only reads .info/.biz and not .com, you don't want to miss mole's comments, would you?

T

Tee

I think having a new tlds section would be a good idea. The new tlds have a lot of issues that pertain only to them. Many people here have bought into the new tlds because they believe as true speculators that they may come to have worth inspite of their being no hard data or sales or auctions or even much use to look at. Others are using the new tlds right now with a lot of success. Maybe a forum for the new tlds could balance out the very heavy .com is king slant this forum has. It may be king and it may be what sells right now, but no one knows what the future holds. A new tld forum would be cool imo.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
would help avoid our having to search other threads for info on new TLDs and would avoid annoying other folks who actively do not want to hear about extensions other than .com. just my two cents.. thanks

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hello tee de tee del dum ..err something like that ..

lets all rattle our tin cups against the bars and make a racket until the jailers give in HAhhhahaa

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why not include .museum, .pro, .aero whilst you at it ! :)

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dot coms only - the rest of the TLDs just drive more trafic to them if they ever do well. This I learned the hard way.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So Dotcomster you should be in favor of increasing alternatives to .com discussions then ! ...

I use to think like that...but have learned to expand my horizons..

If someone CLICKS on whatever.Info that does NOT send more traffic to the .com ...

The ONLY way the .com gets more traffic is IF your domain is such a hotshot that you are doing radio or TV ads....then peple will get confused and head for the .com

but since MOST traffic comes from search engines or other links..worrying about sending traffic to the .com just dosent hold water anymore... I run a fair amount of .info and .Biz ..the least of my worries is that a .com is siphoning traffic..

Youn are correct in that that line of thought WAS valid 2 years ago..but as the web matures so does it's community...most internet users are considerably more "bright" than they were even 2 years ago.simjply because of the maturation process..
the web is almost old hat..the sophistication level has risen for even the beginner..they now understand it is not just a .com world.. one of our TV stations uses .TV almost exclusively now for example ... http://kmsp.tv yep..people use to get confused a couple years ago when they started this and most the traffic still went to the .com (which they also owned)..but it's old hat today.. their .Tv gets over 94% of their traffic ..(they did a story on it, I'll see if it is archived)

Dont get me wrong--- .com is still king ....but the castle doors have been opened ...com no longer owns the kindom that is the internet .simply more of a big brother..he gets his due respect but the new kids ARe going to do whatever they please and change the status quo as they exlpore all the possiblities ...and expand the internet from getting stale with just .com ..one thing we never seem to learn is ..

things will change,whether we like it or not

my opinion of course

BID

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner I use to think like that...but have learned to expand my horizons..If someone CLICKS on whatever.Info that does NOT send more traffic to the .com ...The ONLY way the .com gets more traffic is IF your domain is such a hotshot that you are doing radio or TV ads....then peple will get confused and head for the .com but since MOST traffic comes from search engines or other links..worrying about sending traffic to the .com just dosent hold water anymore... I run a fair amount of .info and .Biz ..the least of my worries is that a .com is siphoning traffic....BID

Hey Bid, excellent comments and valid points but of course dot-com is still king by far. Most firms prefer a dot-com and corporations usually insist on it.

By the way, how do you rank the extensions in value? My own (somewhat subjective) ranking is this (in order) 1.com 2.us 3.org 4.net 5.info 6.biz followed by all the other CC's. Do you agree, in particular with .US being second already as I suspect it is?

Since you are heavy into Posters and are very knowledgable on them as far as generating some income goes and achieving good SE rankings, how would you value Posters.com Posters.US Posters.org Posters.net Posters.info Posters.biz? In fact, do you value them in that order?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Realnames..

Ranking is subjective of course to what you are using the domain for..I tell you .info certainly has come out strong..but you know for my poster business .info dosent really fit.. Posters.com certainly first my Posters.Biz then Posters.Net Posters.Us then Info and Org ..but now if you wanted the history of something website ..I would register a .info just as an equal if not more relevant extension

I think the web will eventually develop like that ..Travel .. depending on what you are doing..Travel.Info is perfect..if you want to market your Travel site to business then Travel.Biz may be your better choice..Travel.org? see that just dosent work..

I think you'll see more and more corps picking up domains that better reflect their business.. like kmsp.tv ..I have no use for .Tvs anymore but you have to admit for KMSP it fits..(sure they still keep their .com but that isnt where their traffic is)

Take any word and it really comes down to what direction you want to go with it..
take "Cancer"

well Cancer.Org says ..cancer support group and information..
Cancer.Info ..everything you wanted to know about cancer
Cancer.Us says the leading typoes of cancers in the US
Cancer.Biz ..says pharmacuetical to me
Cancer.com ..well ? you could take any direction but from the name it isnt entirelly clear..see my point..
Cancer.net ...same with .net???

achieving ranking is nothing more than making your site reflect your product/service/info ..be clear on what you are promting ..the rest is easy..

BID

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well if you really want to rank TLDs the best rank is asking yourself what tld would you have liked your keyword to be linked with if you had the chance to get it.

hence,
my ranking as of present time *:

.com
.net
.org
.info
.biz
.(the rest)

*Ranking could alter (drastically) in the near future (1-2 yrs)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My 0.02 of the future position:
.com
.info
.org
.net
.(the rest)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ranking based on speculative interests and old-school paradigms again I see :D

wipo.org
harvard.edu
travel.info
consultant.biz
jumptheshark.com

I used to think .com was great 2 years ago too. Once you've tasted wine.info, you will never go back to water.com.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the grape variety, goh, not the rice version :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators