Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Verisign given 15 days to correct whois inaccuracies

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
By Scarlet Pruitt, IDG News Service

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) threatened to strip Verisign Inc of its ability to sell ".com" domain names Tuesday if the registrar does not clean up inaccuracies in the public database that records who owns which Web sites.

ICANN, the nonprofit group that oversees matters relating to the Internet addressing system, gave VeriSign 15 working days to correct inaccuracies in the "Whois" database, saying that the leading registrar has "exhibited a pattern of persistent violations."

Although the regulatory body said that nearly all of the 150 accredited registrars complied with requests to correct inaccurate information in their Whois records, VeriSign repeatedly ignored ICANN's requests, forcing it to take more stringent measures.

ICANN flagged 17 specific inaccuracies in the database, and said that it would give notice of the termination of VeriSign's domain accreditation agreement if the corrections weren't made within the deadline of 15 working days. VeriSign may then choose to initiate arbitration against the action, ICANN said.

VeriSign Spokesman Brian O'Shaughnessy said Wednesday that the company "absolutely" plans to comply with the order, but added that "holding 17 examples out of an active database of 10.3 million domain names is not a pattern and shouldn't be characterized as one."

The Whois database is used to record information on who owns which Web sites, providing the relevant contact details, as well as allowing the public to verify whether a domain name is available or not. Saying that the database is an important consumer tool, ICANN said that it would take the necessary measures to ensure its accuracy.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they won't make the dead line and are banned from registering .coms.

Mmmm. I'm dreaming... but it would be nice :shy:

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There are TONS of "no.valid.email@" in Verisign's records. One guy I've been talking to about getting web design work done has a domain with the same "[email protected]" address.

I'd like to know how those happened. Gotta ask him sometime.

~ W|Z

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Who-Wiz
There are TONS of "no.valid.email@" in Verisign's records.

Names ripe for swiping? :cool:

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
15 days to clean up millions of database records! Haha! I hope Ican actually follows through on their threat!

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sure hope so. And it better not be a temporary ban, ban them forever!

Originally posted by -RJ-
15 days to clean up millions of database records! Haha! I hope Ican actually follows through on their threat!
Remember they only have to address domains that have had formal complaints filed against them. I susect that number is very small at this time relative to the total number of problems they are facing.

-t

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
LOL :)
Really - LOL!!!
NetSol "inacurate" LOL!!
they might change - LOL!!

Sorry - LOL!!

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a report link on ICANNs site which you can use to
report inaccurate whois info.

I reported a bunch of names I found that were registered
with Verisign.

Maybe this will do something..

Luc L.

deist

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
some of the domains cited in ICANN's threat STILL have erroneous information as of my posting this...

is the 18th the fifteenth day? should we have a countdown party in the dnforum chatroom on the last hours of that day?

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Countdown party sounds good!

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it would be cool if someone hijacked one of those domains they were supposed to correct the information for, and then set up a little site making fun of NSI. it sure would make them look stupid.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
make them look more stupid then they already are?

i dunno if that's possible :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Verisign responds. If they have to work this hard for all the domains they have on record with bad contact information, they will be very, very busy.
September 11, 2002

Mr. Louis Touton, Esq.
Vice President and General Counsel
lCANN
4676 Admiralty Way. Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA 90292

Dear Mr. Touton:

We are in receipt of your letter of September 3, 2002, alerting the Network Solutions’ Registrar to 17 domain name registrations that have inaccuracies within their WhoIs records. We are in the process of addressing each of these registrations. To date, we have initiated customer breach letters to 13 registrants. We also have deleted 3 of the domain name registrations for not timely complying with our notice to them. Finally, several of the domain name registrations have already been updated, wrth the remainder to be resolved by COB on September 15, 2002.

Beginning on September 16, 2002. we will have 8 more streamlined process ro report inaccurate Whols Inforrnation. Please have your staff submit reports of inaccurate information to the email address <[omitted]>. The team that handles these issues will monitor the emails received and address these reports in an expeditious manner.

Once all of these 17 domain name registrations are resolved, we will inform you of the results in detail.

Yours truly,

W. G. Charnplon Mitchell
Executive Vice President and General Manager
Mass Markets Division
-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom