Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Web Page Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwblubug

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If I develop a website and have links to other sites, do I need permission from the companies whose links I add to my site? Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated ;)

Domain Summit 2024

vwblubug

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you taking the time to respond...;)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No you dont their permission VW..

Link to who ever you want..if they dont want you too they will email you..(never ever in 6 years has anyone ever asked me to remove a link..)

99.999999999% of companies WANT you to link..
because your link means TRAFFIC for them..

It isnt a big deal..

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

vwblubug

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link :) I will refer to it each time I work on a site. I can't believe people are against linking to their sites- I see it as free marketing for them. Thank you!!!!

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill
http://www.dontlink.com/

Please provide a list of people that have been SUED for linking..,

I link to who ever I like.. they have a problem with that..fine I'll remove them..no one is going to sue you for linking..because they know they will look like total jackassess in the press

But certainly if you feel uncomfortable seek their permission

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sites can and have been sued for linking without permission.

As far as I know they have always asked for the links to be removed before starting a lawsuit over it, so you are probably OK just linking unless you know they don't want you to.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"But Ticketmaster lost that bid. "Hyperlinking does not itself involve a violation of the Copyright Act," ruled U.S. District Judge Harry Hupp. "There is no deception in what is happening. This is analogous to using a library's card index to get reference to particular items, albeit faster and more efficiently."

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,48874,00.html

oohdale

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
"But Ticketmaster lost that bid. "Hyperlinking does not itself involve a violation of the Copyright Act," ruled U.S. District Judge Harry Hupp. "There is no deception in what is happening. This is analogous to using a library's card index to get reference to particular items, albeit faster and more efficiently."

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,48874,00.html
I need sone advice myself in this matter. I have some clients that I am the webmaster for them and they say that I must take off all links on their website which they lease from me. I say in our agreement that I reguire a links page for the reduction in cost of their hosting lease agreement and they agreed to it. Now the www.pets4you.com website says that I must remove them or they will not allow my client to advertise on their website. How silly, I say. Can anyone advise me on this issue? if I remove them which I did but now my client is getting a lower cost website forced on me by another website saying I can not link to them.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by oohdale
I need sone advice myself in this matter. I have some clients that I am the webmaster for them and they say that I must take off all links on their website which they lease from me. I say in our agreement that I reguire a links page for the reduction in cost of their hosting lease agreement and they agreed to it. Now the www.pets4you.com website says that I must remove them or they will not allow my client to advertise on their website. How silly, I say. Can anyone advise me on this issue? if I remove them which I did but now my client is getting a lower cost website forced on me by another website saying I can not link to them.

Oohdale..
let me get this straight..YOUR clients are using your hosting ..in YOUR hosting agreement you state that all clients must have a your link on their website ? If thats the agrement they agreed to then tell them that is the agreement and they dont like it to go elsewhere ...OR you can offer a fee to remove the link OR if your client is very imnportant to you you can simply agree to remove the link ..but in thats case you are setting up a precedent and then althe other clients can claim if you did it for them you must to it for everyone else..

These are just the options I see..

oohdale

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Oohdale..
let me get this straight..YOUR clients are using your hosting ..in YOUR hosting agreement you state that all clients must have a your link on their website ? If thats the agrement they agreed to then tell them that is the agreement and they dont like it to go elsewhere ...OR you can offer a fee to remove the link OR if your client is very imnportant to you you can simply agree to remove the link ..but in thats case you are setting up a precedent and then althe other clients can claim if you did it for them you must to it for everyone else..

These are just the options I see..
This is not so cut and dried as I see it but let me try and explain. Conflict of interest page here. Now this is there option. My options are if I can have a links page on their website so I can get extra income from selling posters and such, then I will give them a break on the costs of the hosting fees. This company says I can't do this. Because of their options listed there at this link I just provided. I am in in contact with the President now thru email but I have not heard back from him yet, but I did get an answer from his secretary who said for me to just read this page and if I had any comments to email the president. So I did but no answer as of yet.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is not so cut and dried as I see it but let me try and explain. Conflict of interest page here. Now this is there option. My options are if I can have a links page on their website so I can get extra income from selling posters and such, then I will give them a break on the costs of the hosting fees. This company says I can't do this. Because of their options listed there at this link I just provided. I am in in contact with the President now thru email but I have not heard back from him yet, but I did get an answer from his secretary who said for me to just read this page and if I had any comments to email the president. So I did but no answer as of yet.

Oohdale where is YOUR agreement link.. you are HOSTING this pets4you.com .. is this correct?

Where is the link to the terms THEY agreed too...

oohdale

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No I am not hosting the Pet4you website. My client has his website ad on their website. www.dinkerskennel.com And by doing so he can not have any live links to other websites as per their Link options page Now it is hurting me because I gave him a cut in costs for the services I offered to him in a verbal agreement so he could have lower monthly hosting fees. Now my delima is now I must ask for the total costs in place of this issue and he doesn't like it. I don't have much choice but to forget it and give in to him or just copy and paste the addresses like they said we could do but, hey that's no good for me. I had to remove my options on my website till I can revamp my options page again. But with all this trouble with my newest website purchase at the Sitetutor.net I have my hands full. I am probably just a little in need of a good rest. Ha! :)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK tommy I think I am getting the jist of it...

So basically your client wants to balk out of your verbal contract so that he can retain the link from Pet4you..

Well that seems like your clients problem not yours...

The pet4you looks like they are simply trying to corner a market .. I wont deal with any website that trys to tell me who I can and cannot link too....

I personally would NOT give in to your client..you guys are being bullied is my opinion...but you do what you have to do..

I would charge him the extra to remove your link.. just depends on how imporatant this client is to you..

Your decision...

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BTW Tommy how are your poster sales going.. I am still very upset at Art.com moving their affiliate program over to linkshare...

Art.com had the best in house affiliate program out there..

Did they at least grandfather you in so you can keep getting upto 25% commisssions?

I wont use allposters and their one day cookie..what a joke..

oohdale

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I liked the way it was before too. Art.com made a big mistake IMHO I just got my reports from the new affiliate yesterday and my commisions are down to about $32.20 dollars per month now. No sales for the last few months but it's their choice not mine as you know. I am so busy with all this new stuff I haven't had the time to update all my poster pages that did in the past, made me over 133.00 per month. Now it's down to less than 33.00 per month. Oh well -- I am fighting new battles this week. my click thrus are better but no sales is no sales if you know what I mean.:rolleyes: Linkshare has less %'s and they do not have the whole page options like Art.com did. But I am learning to design better with tables so it has been a little better till today with all these new issues to deal with. You ask(Did they at least grandfather you in so you can keep getting upto 25% commisssions?) I am not aware of this. So once again I am hearing new things as to the new deals from Linkshare. Thanks for the info, I will check into it. This webmaster business is one big job that is all consuming isn't it?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I liked the way it was before too. Art.com made a big mistake IMHO I just got my reports from the new affiliate yesterday and my commisions are down to about $32.20 dollars per month now. No sales for the last few months but it's their choice not mine as you know. I am so busy with all this new stuff I haven't had the time to update all my poster pages that did in the past, made me over 133.00 per month. Now it's down to less than 33.00 per month. Oh well -- I am fighting new battles this week. my click thrus are better but no sales is no sales if you know what I mean.:rolleyes: Linkshare has less %'s and they do not have the whole page options like Art.com did. But I am learning to design better with tables so it has been a little better till today with all these new issues to deal with. You ask(Did they at least grandfather you in so you can keep getting upto 25% commisssions?) I am not aware of this. So once again I am hearing new things as to the new deals from Linkshare. Thanks for the info, I will check into it. This webmaster business is one big job that is all consuming isn't it?

I know of another company that has a 6 month cookie !

Waiting to see If I am approved..not for posters...but another product you can put on nearly any website..
I get in you want to signup under me like at art.com? let me know I when I am approved I'll send you the link..

oohdale

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I know of another company that has a 6 month cookie !

Waiting to see If I am approved..not for posters...but another product you can put on nearly any website..
I get in you want to signup under me like at art.com? let me know I when I am approved I'll send you the link..
You bet All you did for me at Art.com was make me money so why would I say NO? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom