Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What can be done about .WS fraud ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Out right fraud by WS trying to get you to register.

I own AmericanEagles.Biz

I was contacted with this email on 12/30 (Note.. .WS comapny isnt mentioned anywhere..not even as the sender)

"HI, ARE YOU THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR AMERICANEAGLES.BIZ?

-KELLY

Kelly Lyn Reed"

I responded ..same day with ..

"Yes I am , How may I help you"

She respones with this ,

"
Hi DM,

Thanks for replying. We have an important trademark security issue
regarding your domain name, americaneagles.biz, and I handle all of
these matters personally.

Global Domains International, Inc. ("GDI"), based here in San Diego,
CA, is the Registry for all .ws "website" domain names worldwide. We
have a system in place that sends notices to our legal department
whenever a domain is reserved that matches certain criteria, such as
already having been registered at other registries like .BIZ and
.COM.

Someone recently reserved americaneagles.ws, and our system has the
order pending verification, for approximately another 24 hours (then
the domain will be released and given to the pending party). We can
make sure that you are the one to register this domain if you wish,
otherwise we are requesting confirmation that you are willing to let
another party register americaneagles.ws.

This system was put in place to minimize litigation on the parts of
the .ws Registry, and all end users.

GDI (http://website.ws) is the fastest growing tech company in San
Diego County, and the 5th fastest privately held company in
California, according to the 2002 Inc. 500 list (ref:
http://www.inc.com/apps/inc500/viewCompany.jsp?cmpId=2002037)
Nationally, we rank 37th on the list of 500 companies, and in the
domain name industry, we are growing faster than both .BIZ and .COM.

Because of our rapid growth, we are interested in minimizing our legal
expenses due to potential trademark conflicts such as this one.

If you would like to protect this domain name and override the
currently pending order for americaneagles.ws, then please follow
these simple instructions:

1) Within 24 hours from now, go to http://WebSite.ws

2) Create a new account by clicking on the "register" link at the
top of the page. (takes about 30 seconds)

3) For a username, type americaneagles, and fill out the rest of the
form. The system will recognize your relation to americaneagles.ws
and will allow you to register it, and override the pending order.

4) Register any other domains that you feel necessary in order to
protect your trademarks.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me and I
will assist you as needed.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Kelly L. Reed
Paralegal
GDI Legal Support Dept.
http://WebSite.ws
[email protected]
+1.760.602.3000
+1.760.602.3099 FAX"

Pure spam..AND the fraud is the NAME AmericanEagles.WS is still avaliable !

Anyone else receive this scam letter ?

Domain Summit 2024

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Obviously a sign of complete desperation. What scummy tactics. Now I have another reason besides resale value to view .ws as truly being an acronym for worthless.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"Pure spam..AND the fraud is the NAME AmericanEagles.WS is still avaliable !"

It IS still available ... I just checked! Yikes.
Winner - Have you called her?? I wonder if that's a "real" name?
Now, I have not received such a letter ... but I've heard the rumours. This looks to be the real thing (scam letter). I'm anxious to hear legal input, but I plan on dumping my one and only ".WS" for some DNF Bucks as soon as possible. I hope the potential buyer doesn't read this first (just kidding). Good Luck and thanks for the heads-up.

PS. I ain't no lawyer.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
Obviously a sign of complete desperation. What scummy tactics. Now I have another reason besides resale value to view .ws as truly being an acronym for worthless.

The funniest part Duke is that in the first email she included a photograph of herself (of some women)(side pose , seductive smile) like those smut emails !
So I was trying to figure out what the relationship of getting a smut email and inquiry into one of my domains.. :laugh:

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost
[B...but I plan on dumping my one and only ".WS" for some DNF Bucks as soon as possible. I hope the potential buyer doesn't read this first (just kidding)./B]

:D

Well didn't i offer you just some hours ago $DNF for your .ws name?

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wonder what happens if someone else were to register AmericanEagles.Ws in the 24 hours that it's supposed to be 'reserved' for the .biz owner.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
Wonder what happens if someone else were to register AmericanEagles.Ws in the 24 hours that it's supposed to be 'reserved' for the .biz owner.

I dont know RJ...they make it sound like they WONT let anyone..no I take that back ..they CLAIM they wont let any one else register it (in that 24 hours) and we all know thats bull..

If what they were claiming (this reserved "notice" ) it could actually be a marketable "service" and even lend them a "bit" of credibility..

But nah.. they choose the sleaze route..

If I could afford it I'd slap a small $100,000 suit on them...just enough to bring their sleaze out into the mainstream media a bit..

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"Well didn't i offer you just some hours ago $DNF for your .ws name?"

Nope. You simply declined MY offer of "some" ... I've never heard YOUR offer amount (in "some" DNF Bucks), Beatz. But I digress. Again, thanks for posting the .information! :)
Good Luck.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
they make it sound like they WONT let anyone else register it (in that 24 hours) and we all know thats bull..

They can make that claim with little fear - they know no one registers .ws so they don't have to worry about someone taking it before you "claim" it :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl

They can make that claim with little fear - they know no one registers .ws so they don't have to worry about someone taking it before you "claim" it :)

(I have received other spam domain email with the name Kelly on it plugging $15 domain registrations. Didn't pay any anttention to it but probably the same person. Did you notice she is listed as a Paralegal. Apparently the .ws people can't afford a real attorney for they legal department!)

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"Did you notice she is listed as a Paralegal. Apparently the .ws people can't afford a real attorney for they legal department!"

Touche!! LMAO, Duke (again). Thanks and Good Luck.

ObtainADomain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, didn't realize AmericanEagles.ws was still available. I'm trying to register it right now...................hmm whats this it's telling me? It says I can't register it because its pending verification for another 24 hours while Bidawinner decides if he wants it! Weird.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should all point out that ws is not web site or even water sports on our domain retailing sites.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"Maybe we should all point out that ws is not web site or even water sports on our domain retailing sites."

I once heard it (".WS") called, ".Wasted Space" ... think that is becoming more and more clear every day! Good Luck.

edisaacson

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am offended by Duke's post. I am a paralegal for a large corporation and regularly do all work that an attorney can handle. The only difference is I can't sign my name to most things, but all the work was done by me. Hopefully all of that will change when I take the bar in July. Just remember, a lot of paralegals (especially TM paras) are just as knowledgeable as attorneys.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"Hopefully all of that will change when I take the bar in July. Just remember, a lot of paralegals (especially TM paras) are just as knowledgeable as attorneys."

I don't think you should be offended, and certainly in agreeing with 'Duke regarding that statement I can tell you that neither one of us intended to insult any paralegals. I'll let Duke speak for himself, but I think the focus of the statement was toward the ".WS", not paralegals.
But the fact remains, too ... when you take and pass the Bar THEN you will become an attorney. No doubt you are likely as intelligent and hard(er) ;) working than an attorney ... but by taking the Bar you do desire to become a "real" attorney. Right? It's not a knock on you, rather, it's a testament to your desire to reach the top of the profession. I've been in both pairs of shoes (in another profession), it's not that bad.
Sorry if I offended, as well. Good Luck.

PS. I ain't no lawyer! :)

edisaacson

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks CoolHost, I guess "offended" might have been a little strong. My point was more that just because its a para sending you something doesn't mean it should be taken any more lightly than if an attorney sends you something. We are both representing the company so the message is still the same.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by edisaacson
I am offended by Duke's post. I am a paralegal for a large corporation and regularly do all work that an attorney can handle. The only difference is I can't sign my name to most things, but all the work was done by me. Hopefully all of that will change when I take the bar in July. Just remember, a lot of paralegals (especially TM paras) are just as knowledgeable as attorneys.

Hi EdIsaacson! I certainly didn't mean the comment as an insult to paralegals - but generally a major corporation is not going to put out a statement like the one in question and have it signed by a paralegal rather than one of their own attorneys. That was red flag #1. Of course, no real attorney is going to sign a patently fraudulent letter like that because they would risk being disbarred.

I can vouch for what you say about the skills of paralegals as much of my legal work has been done by an incredibly talented paralegal here in Tampa, including setting up 3 corporations for me. He also does a great deal of work for several local attorneys who then simply sign off on his work as their own, so I know for a fact that what you are saying is true.

Good luck with your bar exam and though I did not mean to insult you, I appreciate your post as it opened the door for me to comment on my own personal experience with a paralegal - it has been all good!

edisaacson

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Duke, like I said earler, I think "offended" may have been a little strong. I do have to disagree though with you. I regularly send out letters on behalf of my company, signed by me not any of the attorneys, which mean as much and are just as binding as any letter written by an attorney. So if I end up sending you a letter regarding one of our trademarks ( and we have over 30,000 worldwide) I hope you do read it :)

Sorry again for the misunderstanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom