• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

What happened to DNforum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And by the way -- it has NOTHING to do with caching, clearing browser cookies, or any of the non-sense that has been suggested implying that the problem is on the user's end. It's not, and that's been proven over and over again by several people.
I am in Mt Airy, NC working tonight. I have logged in on three computers here. All info is saved. I can go back to each one. Information is there. I have my laptop. Same log in ease. Not only that, but I can use Firefox and IE on all the ones at work. I have my laptop here. I can log on with FF, IE, and recently loaded a beta Safari. No problems with saved info.

Why it is not working on other computers is bizarre and baffling. I work at two hospitals 50 miles apart, I can take a break, log on with saved information from each. Is it IP issues? But in firewalls by the IP? I know some who use Road Runner and at times had issues. Is it the OS that people are using? Are there some things in the bios of a computer that were disabled or turned off allowing passwords to be saved?

So who knows what or where the problem lays. All I know is I have had issues with sites in the past from heavy usage that eventually bogs down and locks me out of my account, most notably GoDaddy.

Using their suggestions of clearing history and cache works. Or even increasing cache memory. I am not a tech head so I go with what I know or what someone has suggested and proven to work for me.

But God forbid I would make a suggestion and it not work...I feel so inferior. :asleep:
 
I use many forums on many platforms, and have the problem no where else. I've been using the same firewall for years, a cheapo that doesn't get into cookie issues, so I'm sure it's not that. Using IE6 on Windows 2000 server. Lots of memory and disk available.
 
umm I never had the timeout or session expired problem!
I havent had to clear the cache even. I still think it might have to do with ones local browser or firewall settings.

I've had that remember me option selected and the sessions lasts.
 
I use many forums on many platforms, and have the problem no where else. I've been using the same firewall for years, a cheapo that doesn't get into cookie issues, so I'm sure it's not that. Using IE6 on Windows 2000 server. Lots of memory and disk available.

I had the same issue for a few months - I agree it's incredibly annoying...

Then...all of a sudden it went away. I'm really not sure how I fixed the problem, but now it keeps me logged in forever...

I think there is some little bug with DNF that causes this - since others have had the same issue and I'm pretty sure we'll all reasonably technically savvy people...
 
I had the same problems 3 times in the past and from different computers running IE7 and XP.
Each time the problem appeared after having erased the computer cookies.
Now fortunately after few days the problem use to dissapear alone.
So be patient.
 
I had the same issue for a few months - I agree it's incredibly annoying...

Then...all of a sudden it went away. I'm really not sure how I fixed the problem, but now it keeps me logged in forever...

I think there is some little bug with DNF that causes this - since others have had the same issue and I'm pretty sure we'll all reasonably technically savvy people...

Exactly the same for me GT :yes:
 
I used to have that problem too, but it disappeared. This is the only vBulletin forum I've ever had that problem. I suspect it's either an add-on causing the problem or some custom modifications.
 
Just so you know we are looking into it here this am as promised.

-=DCG=-

Cool.

I use IE7, but have the same problem with Firefox and Opera. Most of the time when I am logged into the DNForum, I get automatically logged out when I leave the site. Sometimes though, I can browse around at other sites and come back, and am still logged in, but this is rare.
 
Never had a problem with staying logged in. Always used win xp/vista and FF.

Quite strange that other users have this problem, cause we are all using the same forum + add-ons & custom modifications.
 
MANY people have stopped using this forum -- including myself -- because the "remember me" option was broken a few months ago, and the management here simply refuses to fix it.

I posted about this in detail way back when - and nothing has been done. Several people commented they have the SAME problem - including some in this thread.

This is a BIG deal - I'm just not going to waste my time logging in again and again to read the board or respond to PMs. I'm tired a posting a long message (ie contributing to the forum) only to LOSE THE ENTIRE POST because my 'session timed out' and can't be continues because DNForum is failing to properly read the session cookies.

And by the way -- it has NOTHING to do with caching, clearing browser cookies, or any of the non-sense that has been suggested implying that the problem is on the user's end. It's not, and that's been proven over and over again by several people.

You may have noticed that other forums are getting MORE traffic while DNForum is getting less. That becuase many people, myself included, have taken out business and our contributions elsewhere. If DNForum wants to commit suicide by ignoring bugs and making it difficult to use the system, so be it.
Hey Juniper,

It seems to be working for many users.
I had the same problem as you and I was running IE 7. Everytime I revisited the forum I had to re-login. I could not find out what the issue was until I decided to check the recommended Internet Explorer for my operating system.

I installed the recommend Explorer and now it works perfectly for me.

Try this out and let me know if it works for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx
 
THIS IS 100% COOKIE ISSUE
it appears from time to time after your dnforum cookie has expired or deleted and u need to re-login.
the first 1-2 days or more you need to sign in every time, after this is fixed without doing anything.
If you sign in through another pc in which you never logged before on dnforum information is saved OK but the pc on which the cookie expired/deleted will still have problem.

Don't remember what I did to solve it, I thing you must delete cookies, delete ALL temporary internet files (also check to Delete All offline content) ALL your TEMP files and then is a good idea to reboot computer so no memory-cache issue will be in place before relogin to dnforum.

Seems that after a cookie expired and you re-login the site cannot replace the expired cookie and write a new one or it reads the old one, or if cookie was deleted the site is expecting to read it, faling and is sending you wrong expiration date on the new cookie ? - something very complex but related to the above must be happening and to solve such issue maybe even more complex!

The problem do exist and maybe a nightmare :?: to delete your cookies (you will loose all your saved logins) but ok you can live with that, after all this will happen once, twise a year ?

In any case the software vendor must have some feedback for such issues and possible fixes
 
Had the same problem...but you know what I log into my email every time...so what the heck I get more value here than those Viagra spam emails...
 
With a name like Pooh, do you think you will be taken serious...

First suggestion, change username....

.... Second point, will pick up as summer ends and people get their holidays overwith.

-=DCG=-

Well, unlike you, I don't need to self-declare myself a 'god' in order to get respect. :yes:

And I wasn't referring to the site's activity. I was a little bit, but that doesn't matter much. I was touching on the over unprofessional look of Dnforum.

Look at DP, webmasterworld, and *********... they're sites are clean. Dnforum use to be clean... that's what I'm referring to here.

EDIT: Thanks for all the personal attacks everybody! It really supports my argument!
 
Well, unlike you, I don't need to self-declare myself a 'god' in order to get respect.

Well..hate to break up your halo of light and goodness, LMAO but I don't think you have any "respect" here kid..you don't even have any feedback..or even more than a few posts for that matter..so..ummmmm...yeah..."POOH" :laugh:
 
haha. So, here I am pointing out the flaws of a forum that used to be reputable, and all the members (oh, and even the admin) have to say is personal attacks against my reputation.

Being an active member doesn't mean I have a high post count or feedback...

I expected it I guess. I mean, this is Dnforum.
 
Pooh, go poo.

Maybe this is a vBulletin 'cookie prefix' problem in config.php - Adam, did you change this prefix in the last vB update? Might account for it.
 
MANY people have stopped using this forum -- including myself -- because the "remember me" option was broken a few months ago,

It goes much deeper than this, Inactivity by other members is attributed to many other reasons, Back track to when the sweeping changes were made and work your way forward, management alone is responsible for DNF's current state.

As for the "remember me" option, its worked fine for me up until recently and I use IE7, even though Firefox is better ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom