Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

What should be realistic price for a third world country name dot com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imneazmh

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Estibot, Valuate and other automatic and even manual appraisal systems provide a very high price for any country name dot com including the 3rd world countries- like nepal.com, bangladesh.com etc. I was in a personal brokerage project in last 3 months and became disappointed with outcomes. The project was to find end user among the high income group people and companies within the third world countries as I believed that they are the ultimate users of their country name dot com. And I conducted this project within two countries since I have very handy network in those countries. My project summary as follows:

a) reached ~359 high potential buyers who have income range between USD 5,000 - USD 100,000 (per month) and using internet more than a decade
b) Got maximum offer of USD 12,000 for their country name dot com (only one) ... max offer was less than 8k
c) Most of them really don't care about dot com because cctlds are available there like, .com.bd
d) Overall society knowledge about internet and technologies is at least 15 years behind than any developed country.

My findings:
Owners or Sellers or brokers of third world country dot com will have to find buyers outside the country itself to get reasonable price.

This was my very personal observation. I just want to know from my experienced friends, what should be realistic price for a third world country name dot com at this stage? like, nepal.com bangladesh.com

Thanks
NeazMH

Last edited:

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depends, if it is a third world country with large tourism like Nepal.com it can fetch a nice price, if it is a country like Somalia.com with zero tourism then I wouldn't spend much on it (most of the value lies in rarity). Search volume alone doesn't justify the price either, people can simply search for shocking news in third world countries, if they search mostly for accommodation and tours, that's a good sign.

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is how I personally value bangladesh.com
According to the public data, there are only 600,000 internet users in Bangladesh. Lets assume that there are 1% of the users actually type in bangladesh.com to the address bar, then it should receive 6000 typein per month. Bangladesh traffic should be regarded as low quality and does not even worth $0.05. But lets assume it worth $0.04, so it will be 6000x$0.04 = $240.

Next, I will multiply it by 60 months, 60x$240 = $14,400. But since because of its rarity, I will double the value to $14,000x2 = $28,800.

imneazmh

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is how I personally value bangladesh.com
According to the public data, there are only 600,000 internet users in Bangladesh. Lets assume that there are 1% of the users actually type in bangladesh.com to the address bar, then it should receive 6000 typein per month. Bangladesh traffic should be regarded as low quality and does not even worth $0.05. But lets assume it worth $0.04, so it will be 6000x$0.04 = $240.

Next, I will multiply it by 60 months, 60x$240 = $14,400. But since because of its rarity, I will double the value to $14,000x2 = $28,800.

This is a good assessment David. But based on my personal project summary, its quite impossible to sell domain at that price particularly within that country.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have to look at the demographics of the population - ALL demographics.

Look at the industry, their GDP, etc. A third world country that is not expanding or growing in their GDP is not a positive sign.

Is there a demand for tourism? do they have proper facilities for tourism?

What is the infrastructure like? How stable is the government?

A geo name for the sake of being a geo name is not always a good decision for return on investment. Countries that support a strong tourism campaign, provide basic services throughout the country, have a viable government and infrastructure are a plus, perhaps the most be a strong tourism trade.

If there is a demand for flights to that country and booking of hotels then it is a better investment. The fact that a country as a destination for tourist is equal to the value of a name. Little demand outside the country (demand as in searches for good, services, amenities) is not a strong market therefore not as strong as a geo in terms of demand in the geo market.

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc com, tetrapak. From your own view, what is the realistic price for bangladesh.com and nepal.com?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what is a realistic price for the .com name of a country, period.... because there are no more third worlds?

for example:

somalia may not have tourists now, but they are starting to receive food aid

to value that domain based on today's events and economic status, would be shortsighted on the sellers part

the resources and potential of the land, that make up the borders of that country is the value

there is also potential in the progressiveness of the people who inhabit that region

so what is the realistic price for that?

realistic price = lowest price you can sell for

imo...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc com, from your own view, what is the realistic price for bangladesh.com and nepal.com?
The realistic price is what someone would pay for it.

If you are comparing the two and asking which is most valuable of the two, then based on everything I presented above would be nepal more valuable than bangladesh. Bangladesh does not even have any viable infrastructure to speak of, does not even have basic services (water, electricity) to the whole population, and no tourism demand. Nepal is associated with natural beauty, spirituality, and has a tourism appeal and demand that far exceeds Bangladesh. Nepal is in the news for those pluses but also minuses (China claims) along with the positive of its neighbor, Tibet - while most of the news associated with Bangladesh is widespread disease, famine, monsoons, and aide organizations.

Nepal may not have widespread basic services (mountainous, remote, rugged) but there is a demand for Nepal outside of Nepal.

Another example would be the country of Bhutan, Nepal's neighbor. Bhutan is a mountaineer's and mountain/ice climbing mecca. But the appeal here is such a small niche that again, comparing Bhutan side-by-side with Nepal, Nepal wins. I know people who have journeyed to Nepal and Tibet but know of no one (on a personal basis) who have taken vacations in Bhutan or Bangladesh.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whatever the seller wants for it
this is the selling price
and what they can hopefully one day realise
country .coms are amongst the very best domains one could own imo

how do you put a price?
namibia.de of all things just sold for about 50k i think on dnjournal
one things for sure. when this whole global financial collapse has played out theres going to be more 'third world' countries than there were a couple of years ago

also the examples you use show perfectly how it is impossible to put a price
the gdp, the future of the countries
the history, tourism potential
age and memorability of domain
possibility of a country name change can be risky for african countries for example

ussr became russian federation
of course everyone knows as russia
and russia is virtually priceless. think sold for about a million or million and a half a while back

tell me what the country is. maybe we could give better idea of possible worth

Last edited:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good point about the CC extension popularity (dot-us excluded) but I would still estimate both Bangladesh.com and Somalia.com at between 50k to 100k or more.

P.S. To Pred. Couldn't help but notice and just wondering why you write like that DomainLords guy?

imneazmh

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good point about the CC extension popularity (dot-us excluded) but I would still estimate both Bangladesh.com and Somalia.com at between 50k to 100k or more.

P.S. To Pred. Couldn't help but notice and just wondering why you write like that DomainLords guy?

Indeed. But I believe that ultimate end-users for Bangladesh.com and Somalia.com must be from those countries. And I wonder if anyone from those countries even wants to pay 10k for those domains.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Indeed. But I believe that ultimate end-users for Bangladesh.com and Somalia.com must be from those countries. And I wonder if anyone from those countries even wants to pay 10k for those domains.
some of the lowest per capita nations.

Like I mentioned, until there is a viable tourism trade and industry established, there will not be much interest or demand.

Someone can proudly claim that they own a country but, depending on what they paid, they are stuck with it. Better to make a site regarding the relief work and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom