• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale What was the first .ca? Apparently my Alma Mater...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm, upei.ca
Date-Approved: 2000/10/24

So far the first .ca names I've seen appear as registered in 2000
 
hm, upei.ca
Date-Approved: 2000/10/24

So far the first .ca names I've seen appear as registered in 2000

I have always wondered about how to properly check the real age of a domain. I have some .ca names that are over 10 years old according to webconfs domain name age tool, but the whois information shows that the creation date is much later...

I am really not sure how to verify the age of upei.ca but I guess they would have checked their facts with CIRA....
 
I have always wondered about how to properly check the real age of a domain. I have some .ca names that are over 10 years old according to webconfs domain name age tool, but the whois information shows that the creation date is much later...

I am really not sure how to verify the age of upei.ca but I guess they would have checked their facts with CIRA....

Well, the best way to check is through their official site

http://whois.cira.ca/public?domaine=upei.ca&LANGUE=en

or I like who.is/upei.ca

Other tools can be based on archive.org and it may not work properly, or display some errors etc.

It's also possible something happened in 2000 with the .ca registry that got it all reset, but I haven't been around for that long :)
 
I don't think there's anyway to find out what names predate cira. But since their formation, they actually have themselves showing as the 1st registrant with cira.ca being the 1st domain. (according to their whois)

elivate - dates are reset if they are acquired at tbr. which might explain the discrepencies.
 
oh that explain it then.. partially.
So I guess cira started operating in 2000 and all previous whois got reset then, what was there before cira?
 
I know for a fact northpole.ca was regged about 1995 but it shows Date approved: 2000/10/29

I was there in the office at axion internet on burrard st vancouver standing there with the guy that regged it. He still owns it today.

Man just think of the names I could have regged then!
 
The thing that would have been smart to do before the landrush in 2000 was to start a company and register top .ca domain names, like Jason Chapnik did.

These are some of his names.

email.ca
sex.ca
sports.ca
travel.ca
music.ca

... and so on

He was also the guy who initially started to market the .tv extension.
 
Who has the most .ca domains? Chapnik, emall, ET, DCG or someone else?
 
Unless you are insider at CIRA, I don't think there is any way to know who owns the most .ca domains. A registrar once told me that ET owns 40,000+ .ca's. It may be true...

Other really big players in the .CA domain market include:

IREX Corp
IBWA.com Inc (Sania Breton)
Shaun Pilfold
Empire Systems, Inc (Theo Stuben)
Eric Maddeaux

Anyone here have over 5000?
 
Well it's more about quality than quantity imho :)

With 5 top names like what hugegrowth mentioned it already has to be worth over a million bucks


Ebenezer Thevasagayam seems to have the largest portfolio of 2 char .ca names

P.S.: looks like Adam has girls.ca :)
 
Last edited:
Absolutely!! Chapnik's early entry secured the best of the best .CA domains (likely worth several million dollars, now!) He is now involved in Domainer.com which I believe received $2 million in funding to buy and develop more domains. His top holdings include these gems:

address.ca
books.ca
email.ca
health.ca
information.ca
law.ca
music.ca
sex.ca
online.ca
school.ca
sports.ca
bank.ca (my guess is they bought banks.ca too!)
cars.ca
entertainment.ca
homes.ca
kids.ca
movies.ca
news.ca
restaurants.ca
search.ca
travel.ca
academics.ca
code.ca
journalism.ca
media.ca
stamps.ca
website.ca
casino.ca
classroom.ca
gambling.ca
software.ca
travels.ca
 
The thing that would have been smart to do before the landrush in 2000 was to start a company and register top .ca domain names, like Jason Chapnik did.

These are some of his names.

email.ca
sex.ca
sports.ca
travel.ca
music.ca

... and so on

He was also the guy who initially started to market the .tv extension.

Sex.ca was originally owned by some non profit organization devoted to sex education. He must have sweet talked them out of it. I know I damn near S**t when the whois changed :disappointed:

I never thought they would give it up!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom