Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed What's the worst extension?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What do people think is the worst extension you can have on the end of a domain name?

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
probably .museum

Even for museums, it sucks.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.com - there's too many of them :D

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
probably .museum

Even for museums, it sucks.

At least I can see a use for .museum.

coop is the worst one in my opinion.

I can see a use for a whole TWO domain names:

Chicken.coop

and

iFlewThe.coop

I want chicken.coop in a BAD way. Anybody know who owns it? :D

-Bob

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.BIZ, no question..I have never liked BIZ to mean business...Its that whole "z" thing for the "s".... carz, drugz, freelancerz...etc...:weird:

We all hate "Z" names (I think)..

Its trendy, and I dont think a domain extension should be trendy..

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to warm up to .biz either. It just doesn't sound right for business to me. It is just too informal (like slang) to present a good image for a serious business. The few exceptions are businesses that are laid back and kind of loose to begin with. I think it works with entertainment oriented names - certainly show.biz is awesome, music.biz, bidawinner's posters.biz - that kind of thing. But for everyday businesses I just can't take them seriously with that extension. It remains my least favorite of the TLD's (and I would take the .US country code over it in most cases).

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh man...I forgot .NAME (wish you hadn't reminded me!). Yes, I'll change my position - that sucks the worst! The extension assumes everyone is an idiot - having to tell them that the preceding first and last names are guess what - Names! Well, No sh*t Sherlock!

P

President Gringo

Originally posted by Duke of Earl
Oh man...I forgot .NAME (wish you hadn't reminded me!). Yes, I'll change my position - that sucks the worst! The extension assumes everyone is an idiot - having to tell them that the preceding first and last names are guess what - Names! Well, No sh*t Sherlock!

damn, that one does suck...i'm changing my vote too :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well you might not want to be so hasty there Gringo. Stuff like .ws and .cc is pretty putrid too! Actually the fact that they try to get you to pay a PREMIUM price for these garbage extensions makes them even more objectionable in many ways.

In another thread we had a debate over another one of the country codes that are pretending to be something else - .md (the country code for Moldova that some outfit is trying to convince people is the new official domain for health care professionals! - Of course no one bothered to run this by ICANN or the health care industry). I went to their registration site and a basic registration costs $99! (with so-called premium names way higher!)

So I'm thinking "Let me get this straight. I can take $99 and go out and register a DOZEN .coms, .nets or .orgs - all extensions with a well-established user base and real value. OR, I can give you the $99 and get ONE name in a lousy extension that NO-ONE recognizes or uses! I will really have to think this one over before deciding what to do!" Sheesh!

I have never seen a real web site on any of those extensions but when I do the first thought that will flash through my mind is "Moron!". For people who are still on the fence about this - let me reiterate - it is not a good idea to use an extension that makes people think the proprietor has "sucker" tattooed on his forehead!

P.S. I said above that I didn't care for .BIZ but at least it is a real top level domain. I would take it over any of there bogus country code/premium domain - cough cough - extensions.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

trent2275

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.ws= website? or worldsite?

.name >> YAY

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ditto my previous post. Elequa has done all right with them but I think that has nothing to do with the quality of the extension and everything to do with him having enough capital to brand his name and the abilility to put up a very high quality site. He has done more to give .TV what credibility it has than anyone I know of. They should be giving him FREE reg fee renewals for the positive light .TV gets form his efforts.

For anyone else who does not have the extremely deep pockets needed to brand a site on a little-used extension AND put up great content I would advise staying completely away from them. It is senseless to pay a premium for a Tuvalu country code name when - everything else being equal - you would be much better off with one of the established extensions.

P.S. With ALL of the unregistered .TV names out there, BlingBling was the best you could get???! :confused:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by trent2275
.ws= website? or worldsite?

.name >> YAY

.ws means Western Samoa. It does not mean web site as the registrar wants you to believe so they can part you from your paycheck!

.name means name but I think most of us were able to figure that out on our own.

trent2275

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
didnt know that.............godaddy lied to me. :(

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Imagine that!

It is a good idea not to believe everything you see in advertising.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Had jewelry sales in mind, and thinking in line with hiphop urban
culture, went with the name Bling Bling

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by biggedon
Had jewelry sales in mind, and thinking in line with hiphop urban
culture, went with the name Bling Bling

The problem with that is that someone who is not into hiphop (like myself and about 200 million other jewelry buyers) would have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. To sell jewelry I would have gone with FineJewelry.TV (if someone held a gun to my head and MADE me register a .TV). That one is STILL available. Of course with .TVs silly premium pricing structure I'm sure they want a stupid amount of money (anything over $8 in this case) for that name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom