Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Where to find unregisterable marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovicide

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own a two-letter domain name which is a common English language phrase. I'd like to know if the USPTO has ever denied a trademark for the phrase.

In the "waterfrontliving.com" case at:
http://www.arbforum.com/domains/decisions/102179.htm
the panel says:
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office reports that "no final determination as to the registerability of the mark has been made."

Where can I find if the USPTO has found a mark to be unregisterable?

I've had no luck at www.uspto.gov

Ovicide

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ovicide
I own a two-letter ...

Sorry, I should have said "two-word" domain name.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember that there was some issue that Intel got involved in. Something to do with American rivers not being part of trademarks. There may be other word restrictions as well.

Maybe an American lawyer can comment.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If an application for registration was filed, and eventually refused by the USPTO, you will find that information in the USPTO database.

Of course, if no application was filed, you will not find that information in the USPTO database (or, rather, you will find, by its absence, that no application was filed).

Whether a term is "unregistrable" for a particular class of goods and services doesn't mean it is unregistrable for another class of goods and services. For example, "dogfood" is unregistrable for dogfood, but would make a dandy mark for, say, jewelry.

Also, if you see an initial refusal and an eventual abandonment, that doesn't necessarily mean the term was not registrable. Maybe the applicant didn't feel responding, or had changed plans to use another mark.

However, when you see a rejection of a term such as "Waterfront Living" for goods or services relating to waterfront living, then it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened.

Ovicide

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill
Whether a term is "unregistrable" for a particular class of goods and services doesn't mean it is unregistrable for another class of goods and services. For example, "dogfood" is unregistrable for dogfood, but would make a dandy mark for, say, jewelry.

Thank you for this clear answer.

I've had the name two years. It's a substring of a trademark owned by a large local company. I'm using the name (in a lexically appropriate way, unrelated to the company's business) and they haven't approached me about it -- but I don't want a lawsuit. Almost all the traffic on the name does appear to be for their company.

A year and a half ago, I made an appointment with a big law firm (cost $450 for an hour), to try to find out whether I'm on solid ground owning the name. I tried to explain the situation to them (and brought screen captures, etc), but they didn't really understand domain name issues and didn't have a computer available which would have helped me explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom