Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Which answer is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm moving my contact information to a new email address and I emailed the 2 registrars that I have .CA's with and asked them the following...

If I change my email address for my domains, does it cause them to be locked for 60 days following the change?

And here are the two conflicting answers I received...

Registrar # 1

Thank you for your inquiry.

The 60-day lock will only be inflicted if one of the followings happened:

========================================================
- new domain being registered

- domain being pushed from one registrant profile to another registrant profile (with the domain push function)

- domain being transferred from another registrar to Namespro.ca or from Namespro.ca to another registrar
========================================================

Changing the information on a registrant profile itself (such as changing the administrative e-mail address) will not inflict the 60-day lock.

We hope the above information is helpful to you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions. We will be glad to answer them for you.

Registrar # 2

Their first reply: If its a .ca domain, Yes, any update to registrant details will be subjected to a domain hold for 60 days. Your domain name or website does not have any downtime during this time. You will not be able to transfer out your domain name during this period.

My reply: Is this a general rule? Because at other registrars, simple email changes do not lock the names

Their second: Hello, It is common rule only for .ca domains. This rule is not for other domains.

My second reply: Is this a CIRA rule or a XXXXX policy?

Their third reply: Hello, Its a policy handled by CIRA.

Am I missing something/not phrasing my question correctly...or are these 2 Registrars really contradicting eachother? Or is this not a CIRA rule (as I assumed) but in reality a policy that may differ from registrar to registrar?

Thanks

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't believe changing the e-mail/contacts should trigger a 60 day. I would recheck with NP to be sure though (as I have always found their responses to be accurate) and tell them that another registrar said it would....see what they say.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jaydub, will do. I edited my first post to include some addition follow up with Registrar # 2...still confused

Also, I guess I wasn't sneaky enough...I forgot to edit Namespro from the Registrar #1 piece...lol :)

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I called up CIRA and will advice you to do so too, to avoid any confusion.. it also depends on who at CIRA you are talking to. They are pretty straight with these kind of answers. I had the same dilemma.

The answer from CIRA to me and I found this out to be correct later on when I checked it out myself, is that ONLY the Registrar transfer and Admin Name change ( Registrant Transfer) will cause the 60 day freeze on any existing domain. DNS changes or email changes do not cause any locks. But you might want to make sure yourself, by calling CIRA direct.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Let me guess, #2 is from GoDaddy?

Some registrars will use any excuse to trigger a 60 day lockout.

Well said...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators