• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Which answer is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
652
Reaction score
30
Hey everyone,

I'm moving my contact information to a new email address and I emailed the 2 registrars that I have .CA's with and asked them the following...

If I change my email address for my domains, does it cause them to be locked for 60 days following the change?

And here are the two conflicting answers I received...

Registrar # 1

Thank you for your inquiry.

The 60-day lock will only be inflicted if one of the followings happened:

========================================================
- new domain being registered

- domain being pushed from one registrant profile to another registrant profile (with the domain push function)

- domain being transferred from another registrar to Namespro.ca or from Namespro.ca to another registrar
========================================================

Changing the information on a registrant profile itself (such as changing the administrative e-mail address) will not inflict the 60-day lock.

We hope the above information is helpful to you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions. We will be glad to answer them for you.


Registrar # 2

Their first reply: If its a .ca domain, Yes, any update to registrant details will be subjected to a domain hold for 60 days. Your domain name or website does not have any downtime during this time. You will not be able to transfer out your domain name during this period.

My reply: Is this a general rule? Because at other registrars, simple email changes do not lock the names

Their second: Hello, It is common rule only for .ca domains. This rule is not for other domains.

My second reply: Is this a CIRA rule or a XXXXX policy?

Their third reply: Hello, Its a policy handled by CIRA.


Am I missing something/not phrasing my question correctly...or are these 2 Registrars really contradicting eachother? Or is this not a CIRA rule (as I assumed) but in reality a policy that may differ from registrar to registrar?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
I don't believe changing the e-mail/contacts should trigger a 60 day. I would recheck with NP to be sure though (as I have always found their responses to be accurate) and tell them that another registrar said it would....see what they say.
 
Thanks Jaydub, will do. I edited my first post to include some addition follow up with Registrar # 2...still confused

Also, I guess I wasn't sneaky enough...I forgot to edit Namespro from the Registrar #1 piece...lol :)
 
Let me guess, #2 is from GoDaddy?

Some registrars will use any excuse to trigger a 60 day lockout.
 
I called up CIRA and will advice you to do so too, to avoid any confusion.. it also depends on who at CIRA you are talking to. They are pretty straight with these kind of answers. I had the same dilemma.

The answer from CIRA to me and I found this out to be correct later on when I checked it out myself, is that ONLY the Registrar transfer and Admin Name change ( Registrant Transfer) will cause the 60 day freeze on any existing domain. DNS changes or email changes do not cause any locks. But you might want to make sure yourself, by calling CIRA direct.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Let me guess, #2 is from GoDaddy?

Some registrars will use any excuse to trigger a 60 day lockout.

Well said...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom