• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Who is using MS Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
14,984
Reaction score
1,302
Curious to know who has used MS Vista and what your thoughts are on it.

Just puchased a new slick laptop for the wife and loaded with preinstalled Vista and Office software.

Vista is nice but pain in ass pop up windows galore everytime you try to do something.

I must say the Office 2007, especially Word, has a great user interface and pleasing to view.

I'm sure it will take some getting used to but wanted to get some other feedback.
 
Hi Doc ...I was going to ask the same...:lol:

Havent yet installed it...still with the XP want to know what the people say...if its worth
 
still use XP too
 
Been using vista for quite a few months now..i still have the beta and it will expire soon :( i dont want to buy any Micro$hit product :D..will switch back to xp or go to linux..
 
1 in the hand :)
 
I'm still with XP myself, too many issues with Vista still. When they release a service pack addressing most of those, maybe then I'll upgrade.
 
Linux primary, XP secondary.

I would only get vista if I buy it preloaded on a computer down the road. I see no reason to upgrade from XP.
 
Vista is good, but I don't see that it works any smoother or runs any faster than XP. It is a nicer package I suppose, but total resource hog. I don't think they have done anything OSX hasn't already done before. And the Vista UI is even OSX inspired, so overall I think it's rubbish. Although I really like it at the same time? Haha, pretty much my overall opinion of M$. Unless we are talking about their optical mice, which I couldn't part with ever.
 
Vista Ultimate 64bit here - I disabled the UAC popups you speak of. I am advanced enough that I know how to avoid installing malware, and if I do get hit with something 0day I am fine with reformatting and doing a clean install.
 
I doubt seriously that I would have upgraded but it was preinstalled and is a nice format.

Upgrade is a horse of a hog (huh? sleep deprivation) as I had been reading. Also have some tips on how to disable all those popups so will do so in short time.

I understand the Linux preference as I also do not want to be a slave to MS but program compatibility for wife's job dictates it.

Would love to take the time to learn RedHat and I will. Too many other things to learn. Also have Linspire and SuSe 10, I believe it is. Have one computer that I have removed all OS and will reinstall XP Pro, and all the linux stuff.

Ambitious but too many projects may hinder the actual time frame.

Vista is good, but I don't see that it works any smoother or runs any faster than XP. It is a nicer package I suppose, but total resource hog.
BINGO
 
Have used it, but didn't like it. I prefer XP.
 
I haven't used it yet, I make it a point to wait at least 1 year and examine the reviews + allow MS to work out all the bugs.
 
I am about to purchase a new computer and getting Vista Ultimate pre-loaded. I have not used it, but in the same boat we were when XP was released. No one wanted to touch it since it was different, but look at us now. Sure there may be some bugs, but nothing a SP won't fix in a few months or so.

Also, waiting for OSX "Leopard" to come out. I may pick up a new Mac computer to mess around with.
 
Ive been using Gentoo linux exclusively since the turn of the century on my main PC, once you realise how much more powerful and safer it is you can never go back.

For compatibility with office documents that openoffice doesn't handle, I have crossover office installed, I have never had a problem with working with any doc or spreadsheet.

Actually I still run XP on my work laptop, only because the telco equipment software requires it, but I see no reason to upgrade until the software tells me too.

Unless your gaming or run a lot of proprietary software, theres really no reason to risk your valuable domain/financial account information and passwords online with Microshit, if your capable and have the time to learn *nix.
 
I am about to purchase a new computer and getting Vista Ultimate pre-loaded. I have not used it, but in the same boat we were when XP was released. No one wanted to touch it since it was different, but look at us now. Sure there may be some bugs, but nothing a SP won't fix in a few months or so.

Also, waiting for OSX "Leopard" to come out. I may pick up a new Mac computer to mess around with.
That is about the size of it. Expect some flaws, but with it preloaded, what the heck.

Got a friend who is pissing himself (well, almost) waiting on Leopard.

Unless your gaming or run a lot of proprietary software, theres really no reason to risk your valuable domain/financial account information and passwords online with Microshit, if your capable and have the time to learn *nix.
I couldn't agree more. Unix, Linux is so much more universally accepted than what we see here in the US. I hate being a "Slave to the Machine" in regards to being tied down to MS.

But when that is the business standard here, there is very little option when business even dictate what software to communicate in and which software needs to be installed.

Why? Because many don't know that there are choices.
 
I still own Windows 2000 and it has no restrictions. Laptop came preloaded with XP. I don't plan to upgrade to Vista at all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom