• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Who is using MS Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no plans to upgrade to vista or any other new OS. I'm using xp pro now and may revert to win98. win95 was probably my fav OS due to its size and load time. the simplicity in customization and security. I've never used firewalls and the more complex these OS get the harder it is to protect myself, and wtf is up with some of these browsers that like sending you to suggested search results when you typo... I know when i typo and when they splash some other page at me i have to type it all over again instead of adding a vowel or the . before the com. It's all too intrusive now and I didnt sign up for that.

burp
 
use it from time to time but it will take a while to convert 100%
 
Wouldn't use Vista even if MS paid me.

Red Hat Enterprise and XP (at least until M$ comes up with a way to force a vista upgrade via auto-update).
 
I´m impressed how people love MS....lol
 
When you have companies and firms and business that don't know there are options out there and who will not take the time to train personnel or explore the flexibilty of other OS and the tremendous cost savings of Open Source, what do you end up with? MS.

Believe, I am not at all a fan of MS and am gradually breaking away in other areas that I can control, but the culture of business here in the US and the insistance of compliance with Word, Xcel, PowerPoint, etc is annoying.

As mentioned earlier, I am sitting here looking at boxes of software along with manuals of RedHat7 (gives you an idea of how long I've been toying with this), along with SuSe Linux 10.0 software, Linspire, books of Joomla, CSS, Drupal, and numerous other open source products.
 
When you have companies and firms and business that don't know there are options out there and who will not take the time to train personnel or explore the flexibilty of other OS and the tremendous cost savings of Open Source, what do you end up with? MS.

Believe, I am not at all a fan of MS and am gradually breaking away in other areas that I can control, but the culture of business here in the US and the insistance of compliance with Word, Xcel, PowerPoint, etc is annoying.

As mentioned earlier, I am sitting here looking at boxes of software along with manuals of RedHat7 (gives you an idea of how long I've been toying with this), along with SuSe Linux 10.0 software, Linspire, books of Joomla, CSS, Drupal, and numerous other open source products.


MS Office is firmly embedded in nearly everything and there's no getting around it. I do like excel but free programs like CSVed (invaluable for large CSV domain lists and database exporting) kick the hell out of excel's processing limits.

Down side of open source is it gets replaced, outdated, merged etc so fast you can't really sit on the learning materials for longer than a few months once you have them in your hand.

This ties into your first point - when the average joe struggles in the learning curve on a microsoft product why would a business invest in training and re-training employees every 3-6 months to use free open source software? That is a lot more costly than eating license fees and just using what everyone else is.
 
This ties into your first point - when the average joe struggles in the learning curve on a microsoft product why would a business invest in training and re-training employees every 3-6 months to use free open source software? That is a lot more costly than eating license fees and just using what everyone else is.
Good points. I guess I was thinking in terms of my own disdain for all the MS products and licenses and wanting to break free. But there obviously needs to be a standard issue for the masses.
 
Usually takes MS about 2 years to fix bugs etc in new OS....so Vista will have to wait for me.....XP is stable now so I will continue using it.....
 
Red Hat Enterprise

excellent choice.

I have no plans to upgrade to vista or any other new OS. I'm using xp pro now and may revert to win98. win95 was probably my fav OS due to its size and load time. the simplicity in customization and security. I've never used firewalls and the more complex these OS get the harder it is to protect myself, and wtf is up with some of these browsers that like sending you to suggested search results when you typo... I know when i typo and when they splash some other page at me i have to type it all over again instead of adding a vowel or the . before the com. It's all too intrusive now and I didnt sign up for that.

You really don't use firewalls? You should at the very least use the inbound one that is packaged with XP. That typo thing you are taling about doesn't have to do with the OS though, that is simply companies paying for your search bar.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom