• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale WhoisCanada.ca | New Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainatrix

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
120
Reaction score
4
Apparently someone is providing a new service that will give you the Name and Email Address of any .ca domain registrant, even private CIRA ones.

We really needed to find the Registrant for a domain we were trying to buy for a client, but received no response through the private CIRA form.

During our search we found:

http://www.whoiscanada.ca

We decided to test the service with one of our own domains set to Privacy at CIRA, and the info we got back (Name and Email was accurate, despite being hidden at CIRA).

We then purchased the domain info for the domain we were looking to buy and managed to track down the owner quite easily.

FYI
Jen
 
There is no way of finding whois info unless they are relying on past data. Or they work with CIRA. Either way... $30 for this info is a scam and this site should be reported to CIRA.
 
the data must have been collected prior to June, before the privacy took effect.

why not just use the contact link at Cira to contact any domain owner?
 
You may be right, but as I mentioned the info we got was accurate; in fact the domain we requested as our complimentary one was one we got from the TBR two weeks ago, and it was marked as private, so I don't think the data is old...

Jen
 
I am unsure why Jen is promoting this site.

There is a reason privacy is in place...and if a website is trying to SELL personal information then it is a real bad idea to promote here.

Update : I reported the website to CIRA. I know when i put privacy on my domains..i want it to remain private.
 
Looks dodgy to me.

IMO, Real Businesses/Companies/People do not need to hide their Details, Owners Names or Contact Info. if they have Integrity.

I am interested to know more about what CIRA thinks of this.

Could they be breaching Canadian Privacy Laws with this 'service'?
 
Please read my post again; I am not promoting the site!!!!

I mentioned it on here as a matter of discussion; thought you might all want to know; and know that I used it and actually was given our private info.

At no time did I say anyone should use it.

For the record!
Jen
 
They won't be providing it for too much longer.
 
We decided to test the service with one of our own domains set to Privacy at CIRA, and the info we got back (Name and Email was accurate, despite being hidden at CIRA).

We then purchased the domain info for the domain we were looking to buy and managed to track down the owner quite easily.

FYI
Jen


Testing the service...and then supporting the site by "purchased the domain info for the domain we were looking to buy"


Sounds like you are supporting it and promoting it to me!!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom