• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Who's the biggest Dog in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeluxeNames.com

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
198
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th rankings based on the number of domains owned of the biggest players in the domain game?

I know the big players include: NameMedia of Waltham M.A. (AKA: BuyDomains, YesDirect), Demand Media (Bought Enom) and Oversee.net, both of Los Angeles, iREIT of Houston ("Partner" of this forum), and Marchex of Seattle (those smart dudes who bought Yun Ye's/Ult Search's priceless Portfolio).

While all seek to monetize their sites, each has carved out a different strategy. For the grand price and all the donuts, can anyone name their different strategies? I bet "someone" can tell us iREIT's strategy :-)

Maybe I've figured out who is the #1 based on number of domains owned:
Name Media claims to be: "NameMedia, which is already profitable, says it owns more Internet domain names than any other party." Taken from the 4th paragraph down of this link: http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2006/06/12/internet_stealth_company_steps_out/?page=1
 
It's not paticularly difficult to find out, if their names are parked. Get a zone file and parse it through. Like Adam's general parking DNS is yobajufa.com ... However, if the big players aren't parking, it'll be impossible.
 
I'd guess at BD in first place for sheer number of domains owned.

But that doesn't necessarily make them the biggest dog in the game.
 
i'm the biggest dog, and i'll bite your ass if you get too close!

ruff ruff........grrrrrrrrr
 
who is the biggest dog catcher then? lol
 
who is the biggest dog catcher then? lol

good one! :)



sorry to take your thread off topic, but I don't really care who the big dogs are?

that's something i think is a waste of time even thinking about.

ruff ruff ....grrrrrrrrr
 
=

I know the big players include: NameMedia of Waltham M.A. (AKA: BuyDomains, YesDirect), Demand Media and Oversee.net, both of Los Angeles, iREIT of Houston ("Partner" of this forum and owners of Enom), and Marchex of Seattle (those smart dudes who bought Yun Ye's priceless Portfolio).

So there you go....
 
If you want a technical answer, see my post above. Parse the zone files.
 
So there you go....

Huh?
That was a list of the big players you quoted, I was seeking a ranking of them.

Azooza, you are right that parsing the zone files would work for sure and thank you for that answer, but I was just hoping someone would know. I don't want to know bad enough to put work into it :couch2:
 
I know the big players include: NameMedia of Waltham M.A. (AKA: BuyDomains, YesDirect), Demand Media and Oversee.net, both of Los Angeles, iREIT of Houston ("Partner" of this forum and owners of Enom), and Marchex of Seattle (those smart dudes who bought Yun Ye's priceless Portfolio).

iREIT is a partner of this forum, but Demand Media owns enom.
 
i know some big players who want to rather remain silent becuase their large part of incomes comes from typo names so i doubt if u will able to spot them easily.
 
who let the dogs out?? woof woof!!

..:: peace ::..
Jeba
 
i know some big players who want to rather remain silent becuase their large part of incomes comes from typo names so i doubt if u will able to spot them easily.


Take out of obsequouis DFNS then! Park or quiet is the answer.
 
Take out of obsequouis DFNS then! Park or quiet is the answer.

these players will not have the same name on all of their domains so its still hard to track. very hard indeed.
 
Fabulous is definitely up there. They own in excess of 500,000 names.
IREIT have over 400,000
Marchex I'm not sure about, but I think the names they acquired from UltSearch makes up a large portion of their portfolio (100,000 domains)
BD used to quote "more than 400,000" domains, but with the consolidation, I don't know where they're at now. YesDirect's (aka NameMedia) portfolio was 650,000, so if you sum the two together they must exceed a million.
 
Nobody mentioned my heroes - Nameking aka Laporte aka Chesteron (and many other names), Unasi etc ? ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom