• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Why are domainers so paranoid and secretive? Does everyone have something to hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
8,934
Reaction score
245
I was just wondering why this business and industry in general tends to make people very reclusive and secretive..I mean c'mon people we are not frickin' spies or something...of course there are a few "celebrity" domainers that you also hear about but for the most part people are nearly in hiding..

I can't help but notice that I am running into more and more paranoid and overly suspicious people on a daily basis, or the "sasquatch's" of the industry that have to stay anonymous for whatever reasons and you don't even know who you are talking to half the time when trying to do a deal..

I myself have always had a "what if" state of mind by nature but it has nothing to do with the business and that's just how I am, to a healthy limit. So, is this just the world we live in today making us all like this? Maybe as domain values soar people are becoming more & more sketchy with their information online & who they tell what to and so on and so forth..I think about this stuff and was just wondering how everyone else feels about this matter and what if any symptoms of this you have yourself at times....of course considering your personal safety & business longevity is something we all need to think about and I'm sure the guys with million dollar domain portfolios think about it alot more lately..or they should.

Your thoughts are appreciated...

Chris :spy:
 
I guess most think its all about business and do not want to associate with anyone else. Or maybe they are major computer geeks. I wonder if some of these "paranoid" people you talk about still live with their parents.

Personally, I could care less. Sure I try to conceal my personal information for my family's sake, but for the most part I am open to hang out with others and have a beer. Just as long as they do not try and give me a reach around or touch my a$$.
 
lol, now that's funny...I'm sure alot of young ones do..naturally
 
I'm not sure I get you clearly, Focus. Aren't we all hiding behind a monitor? :P

Are you talking about information sharing or identity sharing? Because as you can see, I'm not shy about my identity. :D

Tia Wood
 
I'm not sure I get you clearly, Focus. Aren't we all hiding behind a monitor? :P

Are you talking about information sharing or identity sharing? Because as you can see, I'm not shy about my identity. :D

Tia Wood

I think it is because you are newly divorced (from what I can remember) and trying to get Focus to go out with ya. :lol:
 
<--- Chris Williams ;)

I only date strippers and porn stars j/k
 
I was just wondering why this business and industry in general tends to make people very reclusive and secretive..I mean c'mon people we are not frickin' spies or something...of course there are a few "celebrity" domainers that you also hear about but for the most part people are nearly in hiding...

Chris :spy:

Most of the people I know aren't like the above. They certainly are careful in their business dealings and are aware that due to the ever increasing value of the business, there is a lot of fraud that you have to look for.

I would guess that there is a certain element of this business that operates in a reclusive and secretive manner, but I don't think it is the mainstream, but more the schemers and scammers crowd.

At least that's what I find after 8 years, 9 TRAFFIC shows, 2 DRT shows, a few Domain Fests, thousands of phone calls and the such...
 
I think it is because you are newly divorced (from what I can remember) and trying to get Focus to go out with ya. :lol:

I only want him for his F$. Please don't tell.
 
Shaun..you do realize you are one of those near "celebrity" domainers right? ;)

I'm talking about everyone else...the people that are not posting in this thread (or on the forum) revealing who they are and all that jazz...
 
I was just wondering why this business and industry in general tends to make people very reclusive and secretive..I mean c'mon people we are not frickin' spies or something...of course there are a few "celebrity" domainers that you also hear about but for the most part people are nearly in hiding..

I can't help but notice that I am running into more and more paranoid and overly suspicious people on a daily basis, or the "sasquatch's" of the industry that have to stay anonymous for whatever reasons and you don't even know who you are talking to half the time when trying to do a deal..

I myself have always had a "what if" state of mind by nature but it has nothing to do with the business and that's just how I am, to a healthy limit. So, is this just the world we live in today making us all like this? Maybe as domain values soar people are becoming more & more sketchy with their information online & who they tell what to and so on and so forth..I think about this stuff and was just wondering how everyone else feels about this matter and what if any symptoms of this you have yourself at times....of course considering your personal safety & business longevity is something we all need to think about and I'm sure the guys with million dollar domain portfolios think about it alot more lately..or they should.

Your thoughts are appreciated...

Chris :spy:

lol Chris

have you been smoking your own work? ;)

how ya gonna make profits like that. j/k


i am who i am


those that want to find me can via phone/ snail mail or email.

if you're brave enough you can even come to the hood!


about tellin secrets of the trade...no i won't give that so easily, cause i feel ya gotta plant some seeds and do a harvest....reap what ya sow kinda thing

however, the more people come in this game, the more leery ya gotta be


ya can't trust every "mocus" that comes around ;)


gotta see if they are gonna have some longevity


i mostly do "third-party" deals now, so i don't get burned as easily

and the returns are greater than everyday reseller to reseller deals


there's no need to give personal info, unless it has to do with the deal


as is personal info is at a premium, in the banking/insurance/credit business industry. and we don't want that floating around now do we.


if we all used our "real names" on the board, would we feel less paranoid?
 
Good points biggedon...thats why I posted this thread..again, it's not the people here posting I am referring to. ;)
 
of course considering your personal safety & business longevity is something we all need to think about

I think these are the two big reasons, Illegal activity is another, and with corporations keeping a close eye on these Forums, its not surprising members want to hide their identities and hide what domains their trading in.

You have to keep in mind that anything you disclose on this forum is open to anyone that wants to read it, and if its quoted it will stay on here for years. So I can understand the reluctance to give away too much. I would love to post the domains I sold for 30K, 40K, 50K, but I cant because I have to respect the privacy of the buyers.

As for sharing financial information, it has its boundaries.....I'm not going to tell you want I earn everyday or every month, you will either become the subject of envy or the subject of attack "I make 3 times more than you ha ha ha" stuff like that.

Many members here do share, but they draw the line just how much and rightfully so....I remember John Berryhill asking me a question here, it was personal and I chose not to answer it, If he asked in a PM I would of gladly answered, but to disclose it to the rest of the forum, and especially to members that don't like you, who can later use it to attack me, I don't think so....If your a Woman and you get too personal, you run the risk of a pervert attaching himself to you and God knows what else...It's happened. :yes

It's the world we live in.
 
lol Chris

have you been smoking your own work? ;)

how ya gonna make profits like that. j/k


i am who i am


those that want to find me can via phone/ snail mail or email.

if you're brave enough you can even come to the hood!


about tellin secrets of the trade...no i won't give that so easily, cause i feel ya gotta plant some seeds and do a harvest....reap what ya sow kinda thing

however, the more people come in this game, the more leery ya gotta be


ya can't trust every "mocus" that comes around ;)


gotta see if they are gonna have some longevity


i mostly do "third-party" deals now, so i don't get burned as easily

and the returns are greater than everyday reseller to reseller deals


there's no need to give personal info, unless it has to do with the deal


as is personal info is at a premium, in the banking/insurance/credit business industry. and we don't want that floating around now do we.


if we all used our "real names" on the board, would we feel less paranoid?

Cheers to that...Bigg
 
Good stuff guys...glad to discuss stuff in a non-flamed thread!

(that's cuz it's a Mocus thread) :ok:

Anyone else have input?
 
Now I'm gonna kick your A$$ I know where you live! :mad:

j/k
 
did you spew? yummmmmmmy
 
:smokin: :hippie: <--- Your always quick to call me out!

I think that compaired to a few years ago, a lot more people are actually coming out from under the rock... Too many people in the market now to keep things hush hush.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom