• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Why not to sell names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Messages
4,063
Reaction score
23
You never know when something might happen to drive traffic to your name.

Take befuddle.com. This got a smattering of traffic until someone made befuddle.co.uk and it became popular. Now befuddle.com has great traffic and revenue.

Another single word .com I own that is also 2 words became a nationwide prevent heart disease campaign.

Both of these I would have sold cheap a couple of months ago.
 
I agree. Research and go with your instincts. Valuing domains at current traffic and revenue multiples is just a bargaining chip for buyers to pay less.

Think hard if selling on traffic and revenue multiples alone. Some names are just too good to be sold based on a single attribute.
 
You never know when something might happen to drive traffic to your name.

Take befuddle.com. This got a smattering of traffic until someone made befuddle.co.uk and it became popular. Now befuddle.com has great traffic and revenue.

Another single word .com I own that is also 2 words became a nationwide prevent heart disease campaign.

Both of these I would have sold cheap a couple of months ago.


sometimes, the fruits of your labor do manifest themselves.

i regged a few names and held them a couple of years, now I have seen sites built with my domains as part of their websites name.

only they may add "the" or "u" or "e" as the prefix, now i get traffic for having the root keyword!


for instance, recently sold "upscalemale com" to site owner of "the upscale male.com". i had bought the name on the forum some time ago for $.
 
Well if you can afford to hold a lot of names for "what if" traffic than sure, do it. However, I wouldn't turn down a decent offer because it might get traffic someday. Otherwise I agree.
 
Totally agree GregR..I have sold waaay too many waay too cheap after later learning new events had taken place and their value status changed...if you can hold them and they are good then do so!
 
perfect example of why we own domains... :smile:

How much is it making now?
 
nice! if you spent $8 to register it then thats like $500-$600 in free smackaroos
 
totally agree that there are times to hold domains even when respectable offers come in.... but you gotta be careful in your decisions on which to hold cause like my grandpa use to say.... "boy you know a bird in hand is worth two in the bush."

You gotta look at it from a business perspective... If I get an offer for 12x monthly revenue, you can bet I'm taking the offer if I'm convinced I can make more in another domain than the one I'm selling.

If I don't have any options more lucrative then you can forget me selling it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom