• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Will Google Devalue domain names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olney

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
331
Reaction score
0
This week Google changed the way it handles searches for domain names.
Before if you typed in a domain in the search field
like dnforum.com

It would bring you to a page with only dnforum.com & options like
see the cache for the domain
see how many links it has
see how pages are indexed

Now you type in a domain.EXT

& you get google results with competitors & all.
If anyone puts a title of a page with your domain title it should rank.

Do you think this is a blow to make domains have less value?
 
I don't think this is an intentional move to diminish domain values. But it will hurt Google because it results in less accurate search results ... not more accurate. I'm already using MSN Search with better results.
 
I noticed this too.. This kills OVT with EXT names IMHO.

Hopefully they will change it back, or at least put the domain as the first result.
 
Seems like a pretty stupid move on Google's part.

If someone types a full URL, it's pretty obvious what they're looking for. Not to have the URL displayed as the first result is totally crazy.

BTW, I sent an email to google outlining my concerns. Here's the link if others want to do the same…

http://www.google.com/support/bin/request.py

Select other > other

- Rob
 
Absolutely makes Google look stupid because the results often given now don't even remotely match what one is seeking; could potentially raise TM issues too.

For example, domagon.com (my domain name site) now comes up #3 ... the first match is a post on GFY. Talk about being way inaccurate - a person seeking domagon.com wants domagon.com - not to see some post advertising a domain name for sale on GFY; on the bright side, perhaps Google knows something about bared.com that I don't LOL!

Anyways, has Slashdot reported on this yet?...

If not, I'd suggest some here to try submitting a news item about it to Slashdot; many google staffers read that site.

Ron
 
p.s. just did some testing at Yahoo - they still do domains right :)
 
Yes, I noticed this as well.

I used MSN and there was no problem. Google has really screwed up here.
 
I don't know...if someone is searching at Google for domain.com aren't they looking for sites with that content as a result? It never made sense to me that a person would search google for domain.com if they wanted to visit domain.com they can type it into the browser.

As for this being any possible TM issue...highly doubtful.
 
I don't know...if someone is searching at Google for domain.com aren't they looking for sites with that content as a result? It never made sense to me that a person would search google for domain.com if they wanted to visit domain.com they can type it into the browser.

As for this being any possible TM issue...highly doubtful.

In some cases on a mac...it is difficult to type it into a browser and the search engine works...thats what I experience sometimes.
 
I think it affects those relying on traffic from Domain+EXT
Since OVT(us) mainly comes from Yahoo there might still be traffic
But seriously the traffic from Google might be gone.

Those of you with domains that you bought because of searches DOMAIN+EXT might want to monitor traffic since the change.

The way I see it is like this.

Before you typed in DOMAIN+EXT you saw one domain or no results
Now you type Domain+EXT let say stocks + com

You see a whole bunch of adwords revenue for Google.
I doubt they'd change it back.
 
I don't mind it as long as they make the first result the domain in question.

I just searched for "stocks.com" as you mentioned Olney and guess what?

http://www.google.com/search?client...icial_s&hl=en&q=stocks.com&btnG=Google+Search

It's not even on the first page of results. A TON of people use Google as their homepage, and simply type domain+ext into the search box instead of using their browsers address bar...

This is very very bad news in general for SEO if Google leaves it like this. I wonder what MySpace.com's OVT with EXT is.. If anyone wants a piece of the pie now all they have to do is rename all of the pages on their site to "MySpace.com and get a decent PR and BAM, they have an opportunity to steal MySpace traffic.. and traffic from any site they can think of..

I predict this will be fixed very quickly.
 
It's not even on the first page of results. A TON of people use Google as their homepage, and simply type domain+ext into the search box instead of using their browsers address bar...

That's the main point here – a LOT of people use the Google search bar as an address bar, many of my family and friends included.

I suspect that this is another stunt by Google to bring in the advertising dollars. I also suspect this will lead to countless lawsuits.

- Rob
 
Google needs to consult with the DNF community before making drastic changes like this!!!
 
Feedback sent...I think everyone needs to do the same!!
 
Good point about the spoofing aspect ... phishing alone will likely force Google's hand to change it back.

For persons sending feedback ... please, please also submit a news item to Slashdot - many google employees read that site. It could make the difference!

Ron
 
I suspect that this is another stunt by Google to bring in the advertising dollars. I also suspect this will lead to countless lawsuits.

- Rob

That seems to make sense. It has to be a way of making yet more money at the expense of the domain owners and the users doing the google search. Perhaps someone can invent a name for this shady operation.
 
That's the main point here – a LOT of people use the Google search bar as an address bar, many of my family and friends included.

I suspect that this is another stunt by Google to bring in the advertising dollars. I also suspect this will lead to countless lawsuits.

- Rob

And what would people sue Google for ...on what basis? It's still their search engine. They can ban any domain they wish. They can set their algorithm however they want. I don't see how they are obligated to give the #1 result for a domain with extension to that domain legally.

imho it's a good move on Googles part...also it can bring up some better results. Now we can target for SEO actual domain with ext keywords..won't that be fun. :-)
 
imo

google has already devalued domains.

since many of the ppc's are using their feeds, they can dictate what the payoff will be.

google is no dummy...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom