• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Worst domain(s) you ever regged!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
150
For some fun, list the worst domains you ever regged that you thought would make you a fortune.

I'll start. Back in early 2000 when XM satellite radio was starting out I regged a ton of .com xm names, like rockxm, countryxm, jazzxm. Don't know what I was thinking there.

Also regged AOLlooneytunes(dot)com when Time and Warner Bros merged. Actually got my one and only C&D letter for that one, and a lesson in what a trademark is.

Back then I did all my regs at Register(dot)com. Would I ever love to go back to that time and do some domain mining with what I know now. I still own the first domain I ever bought, wirelyss(dot)com, which I think is kind of catchy but has never had any interest. Will keep it for sentimental reasons.

Come on, let's see those crap names!
 
One of my first domain buys ever was last June.

MarkFeltDeepthroatWatergate.com

I bought six hundred dollars worth of Watergate related domains when the Deep Throat story broke. I knew absolutely zero about domain names. I bought many names that were even worse than this. If that story doesn't break then I am not here writing this today. I emailed a buddy and told him he should register MarkFelt.com. He emailed back and said it was taken so I did a little investigation and I have been hooked ever since.

In less than 13 months I have graduated to names like Mark.com, Pat.com, ActiveFitness.com, DigitalVideos.com, NorthernIowa.com and many more.

I probably bought over 50 names that were worse than the one I mentioned above. I actually ended up with three or four decent ones out of that initial buying spree. I still have WoodwardandBernstein.com, CarlBernstein.com, Watergate.biz, and WatergateHistory.com...not bad for day one.
 
Same story here, back in 1999-2000 I was regging names at register.com for $35 a pop , I regged some bad ones too LOL , how about MichaelJordanCollectibles.com and BL00D.com (bl00d), one day back then I regged 1Left.com , which even today I don't think I would reg 1Left , but got a email from whois few weeks later and settled at $1,700 , go figure.
 
WeHoldTheseTruthsToBeSelf-Evident.org

Registered just after 63 character domains became possible. Not renewed.

:laugh:
 
hd-dvd-forum.com

Hd-dvd news was just forming, and I figured why not...
 
I don't think that I'm the only one thinking this but I think many people post their worst daily in the Domains Wanted section...
 
Olney said:
I don't think that I'm the only one thinking this but I think many people post their worst daily in the Domains Wanted section...

You do see some real head scratchers in there sometimes.:confused:
 
Olney said:
I don't think that I'm the only one thinking this but I think many people post their worst daily in the Domains Wanted section...

You are correct. The one-year anniversay of registering domains is a moment of truth for many. Most people realize early on that most of their buys in the "mania" phase were useless so they get to work starting the sales threads (took me about 7 months start to finish to finally fine-tune my list).

It certainly can be argued that a majority of people spend more time trying to get bailed out of their worst domains than they do working on their best names.

If the name cannot be pronounced or spelled you shouldn't be allowed to sell it anywhere.

I bet DNForum could charge a few $$ per thread and clean it up real quick. The more you charged the better the names would be.
 
sevent said:
WeHoldTheseTruthsToBeSelf-Evident.org

Registered just after 63 character domains became possible. Not renewed.

:laugh:

Oh cool... I was hoping I wouldn't have to put a backorder on that one. :tape2:
 
I would not like the pay per thread. That will detrack people here just like Sp

I registerd alot of bad names can\'t really remember which the worst I regged.


WhoDatDog said:
You are correct. The one-year anniversay of registering domains is a moment of truth for many. Most people realize early on that most of their buys in the \\\"mania\\\" phase were useless so they get to work starting the sales threads (took me about 7 months start to finish to finally fine-tune my list).

It certainly can be argued that a majority of people spend more time trying to get bailed out of their worst domains than they do working on their best names.

If the name cannot be pronounced or spelled you shouldn\\\'t be allowed to sell it anywhere.

I bet DNForum could charge a few $$ per thread and clean it up real quick. The more you charged the better the names would be.
 
:greenlaugh: regged so many bad ones.. dont know if i should cry or laugh.. so much money i spent on lousy domains..
 
wwwgetnetscape.com.
The c and d letter was in the mail in a heartbeat!

:hurt:
That was dumb...
 
Well, if spousal response is any indication, crappedthebed dot com would be my wife's choice.
But Honey. It's listed in Urban Dictionary and multiple extensions of sh*tthebed are taken.

Didn't matter. She went into orbit. Thank goodness for the tasting period as I was able to set it free, and keep the peace.
 
I don't think that I'm the only one thinking this but I think many people post their worst daily in the Domains Wanted section

Ain't that the truth. You have got to be a glutton for punishment to start a thread in that section.
 
MSLonghorn.com and about 40 other Longhorn names not realizing that companies have "code words" for their in progress softwares. That was like 3 years ago when I first came in the biz, but damn did it hurt when I found out Microsoft was not comming knocking on my door :-(
 
regged this one many years ago when the first Harry Potter craze hit:

harrypotterportal (dot) com
 
This is really embarrassing...I actually snapped up:

HomeVidoesOnline.com (did not notice the misspelling of videos)

$60 bucks...See Ya.
 
Olney said:
... I think many people post their worst daily in the Domains Wanted section...

And the "let's be frickin' honest" post of the year goes to.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom