• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Youtube.com ... hijacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy0x52

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Looks like someone hijacked youtube.com and pointed it somewhere else.

Anyone confirm? Or am I just hallucenating?
 
fine for me, it could be software updated your host file to point it elsewhere
 
Where would one locate said hosts file on a Windows XP sp2 PC?
 
The host file is \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
 
Nothing in my hosts file out of the ordinary.

Command-line ns-lookup on www.youtube.com produces three IP's, all three going to the real youtube.

IE and FireFox both go to the "fake" youtube.

I think this safely means it's not my DNS - it's on my machine.

Anyone have any other ideas?
 
DNS now resolves to 65.23.154.2 which is the offending site.

Hmm. Time to check my DNS server too I be thinkin.
 
Anyone know of some DNS software for windows that will give realtime DNS updates and is compatible with IE7? I had one but it didn't work that well.
 
Looks like a hotfix I haven't yet applied to my firewall which prevents DNS poisoning attacks - which looks to be what this is.

Oh glory - patched. We'll see if it clears up in the next 24 hours.
 
any screenshot of this?

recently i've had both my browsers hijacked so if i ever mistype a domain, rather than searching google like firefox used to do it now comes up with a site called searchathand.com or a few other pages that are actually parking pages for verious domains. i have a feeling it may have be a domain owned by someone on here that caused this but as it crashed my browser i had no way of finding out.
 
http://www.geekosis.com/ss.jpg


Screenshot of the offending site.

Little follow-up...

Flushed the firewall's cache, my dns server's cache, and my cache.

Now I can waste time at youtube again.
 
YouTube is cool, I found some decent videos literally hours after I got home from a 3 day music festival. Was on there last night
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom