Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Has .info failed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain Summit 2024

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whats "huh", I never said that I dislike info, in fact I'm heavily invested in it

garptrader

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I generally only register .info domains that are one word. But I see now on SEDO a .info domain with only ten page views a month and a 1500 euro offer (abogado.info - lawyer in Spanish). Maybe .info isn't as speculative as previously thought.

nametrader

Now showing : .info
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Speculation and adaptation are 2 different things. Right now .info is used by spammers and blackhats to the bottom of it. If this continues and if general public amass end up at some kind of stupid, annoying and useless .info sites they make up their mind that .info is worthless. All this because of the under a buck or two sales going on almost continuously for over 3 years now. If these sales stop making .info cost around 6-9 bucks the negative effect reduces because Black hats and Spammers will start choose any TLD they wish not just .info to spam the hell out of all us.

Other than this on the positive side we have some great .info sites out there.

Info is no way inferior to anything except a bunch of useless sites because of the cheap pricing.

nametrader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are right when it comes to SPAM at domain.com, that is phishing and more...
There are too many .info black hat sites, Proxy spamming etc.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.info, .biz, .mobi have ALL failed............

......to meet some domainers' expectations of what they should be. :)

now i wonder when icann will be removing all these failed extentions from the root..

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If anyone no longer feels comfortable buying or even having .info's, since they have failed... Please PM me.

I enjoy investing in these traffic and revenue generating failures.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Taken from Modern Domainer Magazine Oct '07 Pg 18:
Ostrofsky's investment's advice for the domain name game in this new. more competitive market is based around being a huge believer in the .INFO and .BIZ space for speculation. 'It's smarter to invest $100K in three or four great .INFO names than one .COM name,' he said. 'After five years, the .INFO's will go up much faster in relative to the .COM.'"
The man makes a very good point.
I don't think .info is a failure, just hidden in the shadows of the other larger TLDs.

Ostrofsky is the Founder of Internet REIT, and bought Business.com in 1994 for 150k and sold it for 7.5mil in 1999.

nametrader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The point of failure is just a relaxant for those who don't like .info or any other TLD for that matter.
TLD's are not our lifeline, like if we don't have food we'll die, like you don't have home or shelter you'll die. These domains are not our prime necessity. At the same time .com was a necessity at the time of launch when the birth of this www took place, so it soared to heights and still soaring. other TLD's follow it. Point is not success or failure, point is need,preference and choice. When all good .com's are gone or become pricey users will look for other options also, choose other TLD's like .info.
I am not comfortable with the fact that .info is tied to geo domains, it's not the case. Somebody speculating on geo domains with .info extn and saying .info is only suitable for geo domains is not a wise thing to say.
The general awareness will slowly become visible as time passes bye and .info along with other TLD's will see a steady growth in the prices. This prime keyword domains are just showcase domains for the wealthy to own or buy, Speculators are not developers often, end users will not often buy these premium keyword domains either, simply because they can't afford. So the real market lies out of our speculation world where real world websites are made and this market decides what our speculation is worth, This is because when I want to sell a domain, I will take a real world website as an example, can we show a parked domain as example? no right.

In the end this domain speculation is something domainers care about and success and failure is something the real world doesn't give a damn about.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nice sale on sedo homepage, reported recent sales section:

medicaldoctor.info $10,500 :cool:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do hope that every one thinks it has failed.

I love it when the collective minds get together and pronounce something dead and begin to dump or ignore the whole of it.

Makes me go in mourning.

I just think we should all should abide by this timeless advice by the domain elite of a few years past:

Only dot com
No hyphens
No numbers
No more than seven letters
Only English words

We owe to the internet founders and the .com gods to pledge our allegiance to this credo.

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dot com gods will do anything to keep their assets on the top of the market
the thing is that i dont believe in gods....

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice sale. Registered in 2006! Gosh I'm selling my .info way too cheap.

i know. i checked too.
all hyphenated and non-hyphenated gone in all extensions.

may have been a drop but whois shows a doc has bought :yes:

tbh i don't like much and would have sold for 10% of that, but for an enduser is a good domain and perfect extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom