Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Has .info failed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO, .info is a failed extension, not a suitable ext to serious development.

No one told the guys at http://spain.info this...

- Owned and operated by the Institute of Tourism in Spain – the largest tourist information provider in Spain.

- High up on the first page in Google for the keyword "Spain". No. 3 out of 553,000,000 to be precise.

- Regularly advertised in national newspapers here in the UK, full and half page ads.

Oh well, guess you must be right :undecided:

Rob

Domain Summit 2024

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Coming to your RED letters, don't be MAD and show your frustration discussing a topic you don't like. When you write something others members may support your writing or contradict. It goes like that. As a moderator of this forum, I now request you not to do this again, if you don't like something please do not participate. Otherwise you risk Warnings and Infractions that are unnecessary.

I am NOT MAD! Why you use "MAD" to describe another domainer/DNF member? I think you owe me an apology.

I am showing my personal opinion on an extension which is being discussed. Please would you check the topic which OP started "Has .info failed?". I have no interests to write too much on this topic but I am still very interested to show my opinion in short. That's my rights and you can't take it away even you are a moderator. If the OP post a topic like "I really like .info", I wont even enter this thread, I will at least show my respect to the OP. But this topic is totally different.

I am very disappointed with your words and "warnings", this is rude and doesn't fit your title. Also with your word "MAD", this do let me down.

When people asking your opinion if you like something, I have the rights to say I don't like it. So I am waiting for your apology as a moderator!

So I really am having difficulty grasping the concept of domainers criticizing domain extensions simply because they don't like it. Or because they are not of the country when it comes to ccTLD's.

For sure, but where did you find that I don't like .info (Though Nametrader thought that is my opinion. But would NT find it out from my previous replies?)

My key opinion is the domain doesn't worth serious development, and I believe many domainer has the same opinion. Should they be warning or banned when they discuss this to others?

I have many .info and I sold many as well, and I am going to acquire much. But this doesn't mean I should love it and think the extension is successful, right?

There are too many online fraud site using .info and even .biz, .info doesn't have many natural typein traffic like .com/net/org. The extension fits information related site, but if a corp wanna start its network, will they seriously goes to .info? Of cause there are several big .info site is being advertised, but not much, isn't it? From this point of view, there are also some big .cc site, why the moderator didn't try to warn members who say ".cc is a failed extension"?

I am confused and I am trying go back to the right discussion :)

nametrader

Now showing : .info
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.OwnTag please stop your attack on this thread, you discuss it is your right but you should accept others opinions too. You cannot talk to yourself on a forum like this.

In your opinion INFO is failed extension, I completely disagree and thousands of others disagree too. Please stop arguing let others discuss. Your input in this particular thread is not appreciated in this way.

Again you are free to say things like There is no scope of developing INFO domains etc. It is just your opinion and there are many here who ignore that opinion including me.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.OwnTag please stop your attack on this thread, you discuss it is your right but you should accept others opinions too. You cannot talk to yourself on a forum like this.

In your opinion INFO is failed extension, I completely disagree and thousands of others disagree too. Please stop arguing let others discuss. Your input in this particular thread is not appreciated in this way.

Again you are free to say things like There is no scope of developing INFO domains etc. It is just your opinion and there are many here who ignore that opinion including me.

I am not attacking on this thread, please DON'T simply put these words on me. I always like to take other's opinion, but I am very disappointed with your attitude, especially as a moderator.

The topic of this thread is "Has .info failed?" It is a topic to let people arguing and show their like or dislike. This is not a .info praise thread, right?

I know there are many many many other domainers/investors disagree my opinions but why do you think this is a reason to WARN me with your Moderator title? do you think this is a reason that you can call me "MAD"?

I am simply showing my opinions but I never use any rude word like "MAD" to others. Do you think a moderator has the right to say others "MAD"?

Nametrader, I am still awaiting your apology for your words.

And I do apologize to OP that I should make my statement more clear at the very beginning.

nametrader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When someone start a thread titled "Has .info failed?" all INFO praisers or real critics concerned will step in. I did stepped in as a INFO praiser. Cheap doesn't mean failure. I contradicted your opinion, I can do so as any other member.

As to your apology demand I don't owe you one, If you feel I am wrong, let's see if someone will say that I owe you apology in this thread.

I debate and discuss here just like any other member. I will continue to do so. Being a moderator I have not lost my right to debate!

As a moderator I still request you not to use Bold red Letters again in this thread. You did it twice, if you do it again you are going to get Warning. This particular paragraph is from the moderator side of me.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:pop2:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For sure, but where did you find that I don't like .info (Though Nametrader thought that is my opinion. But would NT find it out from my previous replies?)

My reply is a blanket statement, as I read where folks on here have expressed that .info is dead...just like those that have pronounced .mobi dead.

Dead? Not in any measure. Just opinions.

My key opinion is the domain doesn't worth serious development, and I believe many domainer has the same opinion. Should they be warning or banned when they discuss this to others?

Again, more opinions where as my opinion is the belief that all extensions have possibilities if properly marketed or branded. There are a great many domain names worthy of the info extension.

I have many .info and I sold many as well, and I am going to acquire much. But this doesn't mean I should love it and think the extension is successful, right?

Then what means a domain is unsuccessful? Shear numbers of regs or developed sites? If I decide to take Aced.info to a site for test prep for SAT, ACT, MGAT, LSAT does that make it a worthless extension or site? Why would someone not want to look up test prep materials on an info site.

I remember nearly a year ago, right here on this forum I was looking for a programmer to redo my CEUQ.com site. Instead one was commenting what the hell was CEUQ, it meant nothing, and did not understand it. So, without looking at the site this forum member made a judgment based purely on the domain and not the content.

As of yesterday, 534,791 users for 2007 later I guess it does mean something to somebody.

There are too many online fraud site using .info and even .biz, .info doesn't have many natural typein traffic like .com/net/org. The extension fits information related site, but if a corp wanna start its network, will they seriously goes to .info? Of cause there are several big .info site is being advertised, but not much, isn't it? From this point of view, there are also some big .cc site, why the moderator didn't try to warn members who say ".cc is a failed extension"?

I can with out question proclaim that unquestionably most spam, phishing bogus offers and fraud that comes into my inbox is .com. Modified urls to emulate dot coms.

What I am reading here and now is the same BS that I was reading 3 years ago.

But, all of this is my opinions.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But, all of this is my opinions.[/B]

Sure, I always respect other's opinions when people discussing in a decent way. I partly second your opinions.

Regards

When someone start a thread titled "Has .info failed?" all INFO praisers or real critics concerned will step in. I did stepped in as a INFO praiser. Cheap doesn't mean failure. I contradicted your opinion, I can do so as any other member.

As to your apology demand I don't owe you one, If you feel I am wrong, let's see if someone will say that I owe you apology in this thread.

I debate and discuss here just like any other member. I will continue to do so. Being a moderator I have not lost my right to debate!

As a moderator I still request you not to use Bold red Letters again in this thread. You did it twice, if you do it again you are going to get Warning. This particular paragraph is from the moderator side of me.

Dear Moderator - Nametrader

:)

What can I say?

I have the rights to show my personal opinion on any extension especially I am in a right thread, you have the rights too.

But I don't think you have the right to say something rude (like "MAD") to other members, especially you are a moderator and I don't think you have the right to force me to stop showing my opinion on an extension.

Anyway, I don't wanna get this thread in mess, and I am leaving this discussion now.

I apologize to DaveZilla (OP) again.

nametrader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Honestly I felt you are RUDE when you said FAILED :)

Anyways let's take in good spirit. to conclude dot info is not FAILED, may all of us rest in peace and give this thread a honorable BURIAL.

PS: My moderator thing is limited to your BOLD RED LETTERS, for everything else I am debating hard with you. Forget and do not mention and bring moderator thing again and again.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You people are smoking crack if you think it hasn't ... info is the extension on choice for spammers ... Sorry to bust out with a little reality.
There are basically two camps of commers: contented ones who realize a world exist outside of .com (the balanced perspective crowd), and those who manufacture and mislead under the pretense of some firm grip on "reality".

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
funny stuff.

I just left mobility.mobi to come back to this site.

I am on a laptop and entered dnforum.mobi.

Took me a while to figure out why in the hell the page was not loading.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't consider onetag's comments rude, personally.

I don't agree with his comments in the slightest but he's entitled to his opinions.

- Rob

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theres a rule against bold red letters now?

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am simply showing my opinions but I never use any rude word like "MAD" to others. Do you think a moderator has the right to say others "MAD"?
I think you are misunderstanding nametrader's comment. The word 'mad' was used in this case meaning angry, not crazy. This is not an insult. :?:

nametrader

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you are misunderstanding nametrader's comment. The word 'mad' was used in this case meaning angry, not crazy. This is not an insult. :?:

Exactly, that is what I meant.

I didn't consider onetag's comments rude, personally.

I don't agree with his comments in the slightest but he's entitled to his opinions.

- Rob

Rob I am not serious in saying that, I request you to see the smiley on the side. I want to end it peacefully.

This kind of threads get heated up a bit, we should give some heat, get some heat. Nothing personal nothing serious. BTW where is the thread creator he has put some fire and got inactive ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lorenzo,

The point is, anything can be branded and anything can be embedded as a default or as an extension for a specific endeavor.

Overall, I am bewildered by this thread along with all the bashing regarding .mobi.

There is so much talk about this not being branded, that not being branded.

Ask people what .com stands for and 99.99% will get it wrong.

Then ask them what .net, .info, .org, and .biz might stand for and they will get it right.

Now, do they recognize it and use it? Perhaps not. But the point is they can figure it out.

Then do the same with .mobi. Typically they will say they have never heard of it but you tell them it is for mobile and they immediately say it makes sense. Just like .edu for education and .gov for government. They get it. It makes sense.

If domainers would quit sitting on stockpiles of these domains (guilty) and build sites and brand them and cross promote them, then there would be very little need for threads like this.

And keep in mind...all of this talk about domains only means something to domainers. We are the only ones that would even raise the question "is info dead?".

I keep saying it over and over...you are not just a domainer but you are also consumers. So what makes sense to you as a consumer should be a huge factor in not only determining your market and your demographics but also which words and extensions to reg.

We are too tied up discussing all of this in English and automatically think that what we say goes. This is so far from the truth.

Again, it appears that our basis as domainers for making a decision on any thing has little to do with perceived or potential value and global usage but instead boils down to personal preference. This phrase seems to have become a credo or rallying cry of many on this and other domain forums:

I don't like it, I don't want it, I don't need it, I won't use it, therefore it is a waste of time, money and effort.

Is this how you, as a consumer, feel about automobiles, electronics, sports teams, and other matters in life?

Did anyone here stop to think how many languages globally that .info would have the same interpretation and use for word information?

Of course not. Otherwise this would not even be debated anywhere except right here.

Danish: information
Dutch: informatie
French: information
German: die Information
Hungarian: információ
Indonesian: informasi
Italian: informazione
Latvian: informācija; ziņas
Lithuanian: informacija
Norwegian: informasjon
Polish: informacja
Portuguese (Brazil): informação, informe
Portuguese (Portugal): informação
Romanian: informaţie
Slovak: informácia
Slovenian: informacija
Spanish: información
Swedish: information

By the way:

Someone forgot to tell these sites to stop using .info.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:.info&btnG=Google+Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 289,000,000 for site:.info.

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Theres no denying that .info is great for info sites, just as .biz is great for small businesses and .org is great for organisations

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom