Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Looking for input on this marketing strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have spent the last few years building an inventory through drops and strategic acquisitions, to the point where I have amassed an impressive collection of generic domains in my business niche.

Over the next nine months, I will be at four major industry conferences - three of them with an exhibit booth.

Domains are not my main product offering - I am there to primarily promote my well known and respected industry service to the marketplace.

But as long as I am there, I am thinking I will produce a flier with the list of domains, asking prices and contact info. I can distribute them from my booth and pay a little money to distribute them through sponsoring an event.

One sale at my pricing would go a long way toward reimbursing me for the entire investment to date, so it would be worthwhile to invest a little into this process to get it right.

Does anybody have any direct experience in a scenario like this? I would appreciate any real-world advice that could help me avoid any noob mistakes.

P.S. I usually preach the virtues of offline niche marketing, so I am especially interested in seeing that mantra pay off with domain names presented in person to industry professionals.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Instead of distribute the flyers out (which mostly will be throw away anyhow). Put all the names that you want for sale on one of your website.
Then give them your business card with the listed website along with any promotion or discount for your service (from the business cards).

A discount code on the card would make them put your business card in the wallet instead of the trash can.

I don't think the flyers would word. Most of them would have access to wifi any how so browsing your inventory from the website would make it easier and convenient.

JMHO

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No experience with this, but I do have advice for marketing/sales. First create rapport and see what type of business their in... if they have a business card... family members... where they live... etc., if you have a domain that matches their niche, then ask them a few questions if they have an established website and how it's setup. If they do, see what their domain is and somewhat analyze it on the spot. Then explain the benefits of owning a premium name and how much greater income they could receive from having it. Negotiate pricing. Then the closer, it has to have an emotional appeal to it. (Dunno if I covered all 7 steps, but that works fairly well with me)

If you don't close the deal right then or get past negotiations, you will have enough information on them for a potential end user lead that you can follow up with (since it might not be the right time then, you could ask the question... "Do you mind me getting in contact with you at a later date?". No matter what, follow up with the info on their business card (they could say "No" for various reasons, but still be saying "Yes" on the inside).

Edit: In most cases, you're not selling a house, car, television, or a domain name but yourself. People connect with people they desire to do business with. I have a great talent of becoming the culture/society/ethnic group that the person comes from so it's much easier to make a sale for me face-to-face than over the phone (where I can't judge them in 10 seconds or less).

Last edited:

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Johnn. I viewed the fliers as more of the attention getting mechanism, rather than the primary method with which to review and contemplate the names.

However, the next step I had contemplated would be personal, direct contact from the interested party.

I had not considered building a page with a url and a purchase process that could be executed on the spot, the implication being that one would skip the direct, personal connection part altogether.

Is there an off-the-shelf script that could accomplish this in an elegant manner inside of Wordpress?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Added to that, you could use the script provided above or a Sedo profile as it shows statistics of a domain name and can be a sell point alone (additionally, they can buy right there as well... or you could setup a PP transaction if you feel comfortable with that). You definitely have to have some sort of list to toss names out though. However, if they're tire kickers... move on. You only have so much time at a booth so don't waste 30 minutes of time with someone who doesn't understand the concepts you're throwing out.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
David,

I am grateful for your sales advice. In this case, I will know the business everyone is in - they are there for the same conference I am. Think of it as selling quality generic domains on weight loss at a dieters convention (not my real niche, btw)

I am not necessarily comfortable doing a domain name analysis on each prospect. In most cases, I think the benefits would be obvious, and the obstacle wouldn't be the desire to buy, but the prices I am asking.

My pricing is anywhere between $250-$5000, with most being $1250, $2500 or $3750

I am expecting some people to want the domains but struggle with the pricing. I am thinking I could offer to contact them with a lower post-conference price if they want to claim the domain under those circumstances,

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Again, even though you know the niche... you must find out about the person and watch for intrapersonal communications. Hand gestures and eye movements count in sales. If I don't see a finger move from the top of the lip/nose to the chin in 2-5 minutes (quick sales), I will end the conversation as that is a dead giveaway (lip) not interested and chin (interested). Most if not everyone will do this in a sales pitch given to them. There's quite a lot of learning in sales and I've had extensive sales/practicing these methods.

Lou Dobois (though from 1970s) videos are a great way to learn quick and practice with people you know on a level of things that you know they like (say for instance your wife and flowers and you're trying to sell her flowers that she doesn't like, notice her facial expression/body language... then try to sell her the flowers she likes most), you will get two completely different reactions and eventually know when to close (ask for the money)... it's probably best to practice with acquaintances as most likely they will not know what your overall objective is. Great salesman and taught some of the greatest earners out there as well as methods for recruiters for the military.

Anyway, good luck. I don't think throwing a list in their face; whether it be an online website, flyers or business cards, will do much if they don't already know what they want without an analysis of why and the benefits of it.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
without knowing your names or what your industry niche's is, how can one even conceive strategy to market it

that being said, if the crowd will be majority male

then do a gd on them and use sex appeal to draw and close deals.

have some t-shirts and giveaways with your names on them, to pass out when the crowd gathers

give them something to remember

imo...

:)

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tough to go wrong with sex appeal, eh?

I am pretty comfortable with the market, and they know and like me already.

I guess I am just looking for input on how others may have tried this. Selling domains in person is not something you hear about very often.

Thank you everyone for the input so far.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
have some t-shirts and giveaways with your names on them, to pass out when the crowd gathers

I believe t-shirts would be a huge loss in this situation. While I was selling cars, I dressed professionally but related to my market niche (cars & younger buyers). I would roll them up, tape them tight and throw them at people. It actually created rapport with a lot of people as it was fun from what they're used to (yelled at all day). However, I would never see them being worn. Out of 1000ish t-shirts given (thrown, tossed, "here's a new shirt"), walking around I would only see 1 here and there... though someone said they make good jammies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom