Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Sahar Sarid's domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe I outta :lol: (I work for myself, creative thinkers of my kind are ill served working for others*)

But no, Sahar is a savvy businessman (I was told that by the elite), so he knows that one of the best things you can get when you are just starting your own "brand" is a free publicity. The more someone repeats his brand, the bigger the brand gets. Remember even when the substance is there, it's still about the perception, because hightened perception is always larger than the sum of the actual parts.

*That answers a lot - creative types rarely convert to success in business.

Keynes

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The more someone repeats his brand, the bigger the brand gets. Remember even when the substance is there, it's still about the perception, because hightened perception is always larger than the sum of the actual parts.

Yawn. Honestly, at the end of the day, results are all that matters: those who build successful online businesses, no matter where they started, bring a valuable perspective to the table. Let's get back to why we're all here in the first place: solving problems, building companies and moving the industry forward.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*creative types rarely convert to success in business.

The two most successful people I know, also happen to be the most creative [goldsmith and an architect], and they both pull down six figures annually. So far neither one of them has cut their ear off and given it to someone as a gift...

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The two most successful people I know, also happen to be the most creative [goldsmith and an architect], and they both pull down six figures annually. So far neither one of them has cut their ear off and given it to someone as a gift...

if 6 figures is what you aim for you're clearly in the wrong business....

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if 6 figures is what you aim for you're clearly in the wrong business....

So what you're saying is if I only make $999,999.99 this year, I should hang up the portfolio and head over to Walmart to pick up a job application? :lol:

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So what you're saying is if I only make $999,999.99 this year, I should hang up the portfolio and head over to Walmart to pick up a job application?

don't be a smart ass... when people say 6 figures they usually mean low end , otherwise you'd say low 7 figs or mid 6 figs ;)

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
don't be a smart ass... when people say 6 figures they usually mean low end , otherwise you'd say low 7 figs or mid 6 figs ;)

Ice the bravado, and I'll stop being a smartass, deal? :D

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
in the words of rodney king at the bank: "can't we all just get a loan?"

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So what you're saying is if I only make $999,999.99 this year, I should hang up the portfolio and head over to Walmart to pick up a job application? :lol:

Not quite - but I wouldn't hand in your notice at McDs yet ;)

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i'm not trying to paint a rosy picture or domains... all I know is there's no better place to invest (i'm a flipper mainly) ;)

You are 100% correct. I'm not a flipper quite yet, I'm trying to build long term equity in areas with high growth potential.

Not quite - but I wouldn't hand in your notice at McDs yet ;)

God damn it, how many times do I have to tell you I work at Burger King. :D

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
does'nt almost everyone here make at least 6 figs? :confused:

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are we talking 6 stick figures, or have you not checked out some of the sales threads here lately? :D

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are we talking 6 stick figures, or have you not checked out some of the sales threads here lately? :D

do you realize that 90%+ of domain sales go unreported and done in private? Does 2 generic domain sales for $39k last week and one today for $29K just minutes ago tell you anything?

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
do you realize that 90%+ of domain sales go unreported and done in private? Does 2 generic domain sales for $39k last week and one today for $29K just minutes ago tell you anything?

Uh... it was a sarcastic reference to those "other domains", you know the ones that come up to your knees.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*That answers a lot - creative types rarely convert to success in business.

I agree with you on some level. That is because creative thinkers are usually intellectually superior vis-a-vis their audience. I am saying that not from some intelectually elitist standpoint, but simply to illustrate the fact. American marketplace in the last 20 years is ruled by mindless consumers, and lame, copycat companies (especially the large publicly owned companies) that cater to them. Companies for whom apparently is much easier and cheaper to grab a 1/100000000000th slice of somebody else's some pie, than to invent a whole new pie themselves. Never mind that the possible invention of a successful pie can give them returns higher than 10-15 years of anything else. They just don't want to think in those terms because they are chronically risk-averse and the name of their game is the shareholders-are-breathing-down-our-neck. They would rather project fake even minimal gains every quarter if possible, then ride the creative wave with the possibility of spiking their curve upwards to the umpteenth degree occasionally.

In such environment creatives are misunderstood bunch, because the average American idiot doesn't have the time, or mental capacity to understand anything other than a simplistic product hyped with a bombastic soundbites. Creative thinkers bring great values to other people's companies, but they themselves are less able to find a success if they are outthere on their entrepreneurial own. Look at the example of that great Geico Cavemen commercial that ruled the American cable airwaves for a while last year. That original "roast duck and mango salsa" piece

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iVvBXBZEhkw

That commercial became a huge (and unexpected) hit among the youngish "thinking" crowd. It spawned other similar ads, and even a network TV series. It is safe to say that these guys are now highly ingrained into the contemporary popular culture. But guess what? The guy(s) who came up with this idea, with these characters, with that dialogue, are are only a salaried employees in their advertising agency. And they own no piece of success of their own ideas/work. Not even their ad agency (Martin agency in Virginia) does own the right to the characters? Who does? Well, Geico does. Geico who hired the ad agency to come up with great stuff owns the intellectual idea on these Cavemen, even though they weren't cretaed by them, but for them.

So yes, creatives are the properties of their bosses. And they have hard time leaving them. It is also because they (creative thinkers) can't bring themselves on their own to do the lowly things expected of them in the american marketplace culture. To them everything is an intellectual challenge, and they have a disdain of coming down to the average consumer's level. To them the service/product they are creating must answer to them. They must like their own service/product in order to have enough life and creative juice to push that service/product. The problem is obvious: what creatives like, and what average consumer like, are usually two different things. That's why business wise many suffer or underperform badly on their own.

And I'll be honest. Domains are no different. I did relatively well in the last few years. But I can also say that I probably underperformed if I was to comparing myself to people like Maroulis who sells 30k domain every 30 minutes ;)

Same thing again.

I am outthere not just to improve my own bottom line every which way. If I was to do that I'd other things in life, like investing in recession-proof like-a-clockwork business (Funeral Homes). I am outthere to enjoy the process, to create, to anticipate, to challenge myself creatively. And yes, I can't bear to register or buy-for-investment domains/sites that peddle something that I am not passionate about. First and foremost I am a lover of ideas. It's the art of ideas, and therefore art of IDEAlistic domains/sites that appeal to me.

I was listening to DcG talking on GoMommy radio the other day. He talked about the need of covering the local markets with various: PhoenixContractors.com, AustingPlumbers.com type of domains. That's a long held and great no non-sense approach. Domain Wisdom 101. But I personally would never bother with such names because they don't appeal to me on a personal level. Yes, I realize such domains make money, in ppc or sales, but I just don't care. When I'm "creatively thinking" I don't think whether segment of this industry will want to possibly buy my domain one day. No, I can't stand to think that (well, not all the time at least ;). I'm thinking whether the name I am coming up with could be a great "thinker's" domain. Whether it could pass a "thinker's test" (and I'll elaborate on that in my upcoming blog soon). Whether its cool. Whether people need to "get it" a little. Whether it's memorable in an intriguing generic way, not in a straight up generic way. I am thinking whether my domain/idea could possibly be used as an originator of a popular info/culture site. I am thinking more of Gawker.com, and less of Shoes.com. Because thinking of Shoes.com as your life's goal, is like thinking that owning several McDonald franchises in Alabama will make you rich. It will. But so what? Will it make you happy? First and foremost the Internet is the medium of ideas. Global ideas too. And I hate to toil in it coming up with, or doing things I could do in "real life", on my neighboorhod block. And that is not to say I am outthere inventing making up future brand names that nobody will think of or ever buy. No. But I am saying I have no interest in the too obvious (Phoenix Contractors) even if that cost me money.

So yes, pure businessmen like Sahar and others that approach this business straightforwardly will always be more successful than me. I have no problem with that, I expect that because I am dictating the terms of my own success (or lack thereof) on my own. I am willingly doing things the way I do it. So yes, I may be a lousy domainer, but I'm a great thinker. And as long as you can think, there's always outthere something in it for you.

Next step is full-time development. Fearless and Beachie, prepare your wallets next year. You'll be the first one to want my successful "ideas".

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on some level. That is because creative thinkers are usually intellectually superior vis-a-vis their audience. I am saying that not from some intelectually elitist standpoint, but simply to illustrate the fact. American marketplace in the last 20 years is ruled by mindless consumers, and lame, copycat companies (especially the large publicly owned companies) that cater to them. Companies for whom apparently is much easier and cheaper to grab a 1/100000000000th slice of somebody else's some pie, than to invent a whole new pie themselves. Never mind that the possible invention of a successful pie can give them returns higher than 10-15 years of anything else. They just don't want to think in those terms because they are chronically risk-averse and the name of their game is the shareholders-are-breathing-down-our-neck. They would rather project fake even minimal gains every quarter if possible, then ride the creative wave with the possibility of spiking their curve upwards to the umpteenth degree occasionally.

In such environment creatives are misunderstood bunch, because the average American idiot doesn't have the time, or mental capacity to understand anything other than a simplistic product hyped with a bombastic soundbites. Creative thinkers bring great values to other people's companies, but they themselves are less able to find a success if they are outthere on their entrepreneurial own. Look at the example of that great Geico Cavemen commercial that ruled the American cable airwaves for a while last year. That original "roast duck and mango salsa" piece

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iVvBXBZEhkw

That commercial became a huge (and unexpected) hit among the youngish "thinking" crowd. It spawned other similar ads, and even a network TV series. It is safe to say that these guys are now highly ingrained into the contemporary popular culture. But guess what? The guy(s) who came up with this idea, with these characters, with that dialogue, are are only a salaried employees in their advertising agency. And they own no piece of success of their own ideas/work. Not even their ad agency (Martin agency in Virginia) does own the right to the characters? Who does? Well, Geico does. Geico who hired the ad agency to come up with great stuff owns the intellectual idea on these Cavemen, even though they weren't cretaed by them, but for them.

So yes, creatives are the properties of their bosses. And they have hard time leaving them. It is also because they (creative thinkers) can't bring themselves on their own to do the lowly things expected of them in the american marketplace culture. To them everything is an intellectual challenge, and they have a disdain of coming down to the average consumer's level. To them the service/product they are creating must answer to them. They must like their own service/product in order to have enough life and creative juice to push that service/product. The problem is obvious: what creatives like, and what average consumer like, are usually two different things. That's why business wise many suffer or underperform badly on their own.

OK this is TMed by Jeremy but i think it's VERY Applicable to this.. LOL

Sasquatch!!!.....Stare at this dot for 30 minutes.

30 minutes of dot > Your post.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You missed this part:

And I'll be honest. Domains are no different. I did relatively well in the last few years. But I can also say that I probably underperformed if I was to comparing myself to people like Maroulis who sells 30k domain every 30 minutes ;)

Same thing again.

I am outthere not just to improve my own bottom line every which way. If I was to do that I'd other things in life, like investing in recession-proof like-a-clockwork business (Funeral Homes). I am outthere to enjoy the process, to create, to anticipate, to challenge myself creatively. And yes, I can't bear to register or buy-for-investment domains/sites that peddle something that I am not passionate about. First and foremost I am a lover of ideas. It's the art of ideas, and therefore art of IDEAlistic domains/sites that appeal to me.

I was listening to DcG talking on GoMommy radio the other day. He talked about the need of covering the local markets with various: PhoenixContractors.com, AustingPlumbers.com type of domains. That's a long held and great no non-sense approach. Domain Wisdom 101. But I personally would never bother with such names because they don't appeal to me on a personal level. Yes, I realize such domains make money, in ppc or sales, but I just don't care. When I'm "creatively thinking" I don't think whether segment of this industry will want to possibly buy my domain one day. No, I can't stand to think that (well, not all the time at least ;). I'm thinking whether the name I am coming up with could be a great "thinker's" domain. Whether it could pass a "thinker's test" (and I'll elaborate on that in my upcoming blog soon). Whether its cool. Whether people need to "get it" a little. Whether it's memorable in an intriguing generic way, not in a straight up generic way. I am thinking whether my domain/idea could possibly be used as an originator of a popular info/culture site. I am thinking more of Gawker.com, and less of Shoes.com. Because thinking of Shoes.com as your life's goal, is like thinking that owning several McDonald franchises in Alabama will make you rich. It will. But so what? Will it make you happy? First and foremost the Internet is the medium of ideas. Global ideas too. And I hate to toil in it coming up with, or doing things I could do in "real life", on my neighboorhod block. And that is not to say I am outthere inventing making up future brand names that nobody will think of or ever buy. No. But I am saying I have no interest in the too obvious (Phoenix Contractors) even if that cost me money.

So yes, pure businessmen like Sahar and others that approach this business straightforwardly will always be more successful than me. I have no problem with that, I expect that because I am dictating the terms of my own success (or lack thereof) on my own. I am willingly doing things the way I do it. So yes, I may be a lousy domainer, but I'm a great thinker. And as long as you can think, there's always outthere something in it for you.

Next step is full-time development. Fearless and Beachie, prepare your wallets next year. You'll be the first one to want my successful "ideas".

Keynes

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Yawn redux. You're officially kicked off the soap box. Measure your success by results, not words; anyone can be a keyboard cowboy - actually building a successful web company takes time in the trenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom