Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Was this necessary Gregr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All this entertainment for less than .15 cents a day seems well worth it to me, nevermind the financial and knowledge gains that are obtained here.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomeBase
Some folks used DNF resources to promote another forum. Some folks here got really angry about it.

I think the big difference here Dome is that in the case you are referring to, the person used the board's private PM system to send members unwanted spam - with the hope management would not find out about it. If that individual had done it with an open post a moderator could have dealt with it if the board felt it was in violation of their policies. As distasteful as some may have found his comments, Greg posted in the open at DState, so they could have killed the post or the part referencing the Ebay auction if they wished.

The guys over there are not big on censorship of course and that is good. As I noted however, their supporters would do them a bigger favor, by flipping off the switch rather than keeping DNForum and Greg in the spotlight after the initial flurry of comments.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
I think the big difference here Dome is that in the case you are referring to, the person used the board's private PM system to send members unwanted spam - with the hope management would not find out about it. If that individual had done it with an open post a moderator could have dealt with it if the board felt it was in violation of their policies. As distasteful as some may have found his comments, Greg posted in the open at DState, so they could have killed the post or the part referencing the Ebay auction if they wished.

Open references to other forums are OK? I personally will probably not go that route, but it's an OK rule with me.

Originally posted by izopod Really, let it drop! Go watch a Simpson's episode or something! I find the old stuff REALLY amusing.

Good advice. I'll go have some coffee with my beloved and talk about stuff other than bits and bytes in the ether. Maybe we'll watch a show. :)

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains

I think you meant guerilla...I think :weird:

:D

Thanks GD:)
I thought it looked kind of funny.

Duke...It's quite obvious that there are people that feel different then you do about this whole thing. Probably a lot more than you think but they don't have the gonads to say so because they are afraid of the repercussions.

Your playing both sides of the fence from what I've read.

Bad Press may be a good marketing ploy to you...but the fact is it doesn't last very long and ends up being a real mess in the long run.

Since this may very well be my last post (not by choice)

Good Luck!

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems like traffic has picked up consistently at domainstate since gregr's other "high traffic" post not too long ago. That will probably be the trend with gregr's most recent post too.

Safesys and them probably think that gregr's posting seem to benefit domainstate in terms of consistent traffic increases. Increases that are not fading apparently.

So I guess they figure what he has to say encourages more traffic at domainstate so why not let him post away? There was a somewhat playful tone to his post I guess as well. He's not using foul language or anything although I think it is a little outrageous to go to another forum and call its members cheapskates, even playfully.

You know, we tried giving safesys and them money. There was a whole thread about it.

They wouldn't take it.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for taking my suggestion on edits, Mudfence

Duke is a friend

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomeBase
Open references to other forums are OK? I personally will probably not go that route, but it's an OK rule with me.

I don't know. I'm just saying if it is in the open then the forum can deal with it if they want. Personally it doesn't bother me either but it is up to management at each forum to set their own policy.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mudfence
Your playing both sides of the fence from what I've read.

I have no idea what you mean, but will be happy to answer if you care to speak in something other than a riddle.

Bad Press may be a good marketing ploy to you...but the fact is it doesn't last very long and ends up being a real mess in the long run.

I didn't say it was necessarily a GOOD marketing ploy - but it certainly looks like it was effective. If it blows up on him in the end then that is something he will have to live with. It is the danger you take with an unorthodox approach.

Since this may very well be my last post (not by choice)

What does that mean? Again I'm having a little trouble with the mind reading tonight. :)

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What they're finally finding out over there is that flames bring eyeballs. Their normal reaction is to immediately put out flames, example, banning Whois-Search. In this case they had me at the other end of a bunch of flame throwers. Instead of putting out the flame, they threw gasoline on me. :)

After all they're the ones that came up with some the corny rules here. "We also take politeness very seriously"

Now they're seeing all these views in the thread I started and they're thinking maybe little flares ever so often is ok.
I've had members tell me that DS is like going to a library. Maybe now they won't go around whacking those loud kids with rulers. :)

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gregr ... I feel your pain ... you give, you give, you give! Where is the thanks?

Shaun

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
What they're finally finding out over there is that flames bring eyeballs.

After all they're the ones that came up with some the corny rules here. "We also take politeness very seriously"

Now they're seeing all these views in the thread I started and they're thinking maybe little flares ever so often is ok.
I've had members tell me that DS is like going to a library. Maybe now they won't go around whacking those loud kids with rulers. :)

Despite all of the hand wringing when a flame war breaks out, there is no doubt it dramatically increases viewing. No one who has spent any time in a forum can deny that. I have to admit I enjoy reading them - it certainly adds a little electricity to the atmosphere and breaks up the monotony (why do you think the refs let them fight in hockey games?).

I like to watch an occasional special on the History or Biography channel but if I had to watch one documentary after another I would soon doze off. I have to pop a copy of Lethal Weapon in the VCR every once in awhile.

One thing I have always enjoyed about this forum is that it is always entertaining. I like the serious information I get and the business I can do here, but I also like that it has a bit of a rowdy atmosphere too. You don't feel like you are working all the time when you hang out here. I think that has given it a collegial feel that has led to some good friendships and good times. Of course, that loosey goosey atmosphere is not for everyone. Some people like Pepsi, some prefer Coke.

At least from my perception, DS offers a much different atmosphere and that is great. Who needs two forums that are exactly the same? I have liked Safe, Matty and Snoopy since their days here and have been a member at DS since day 1. I do sense more of an "all business" tone there, so I don't do as much "hanging out" there as I do here (there is also a much more active pro new extension group here that addresses a key interest for me). Other people have completely different sensibilities and can only handle a little bit of DNF's more raucous style.

It kind of reminds me of the last century when all the cowboys were out west firing their six-shooters into the ceiling at the saloon (while the gamblers were busy doing business at the poker table). Meanwhile, back east, everybody was all duded up and exhibiting much more refined behaviour. To me, DNF is the Old West (unfortunately without the Dancing Girls), DS is Boston. Both have their good points and bad points and which you prefer will be a matter of individual taste.

I see nothing wrong with a friendly rivalry between the two and see no reason to take some back and forth jabs too seriously. I think it was Safesys at DS who pointed out recently that it's just a couple of domain forums - nothing to get overly worked up about. If you don't like what's playing on one side of the multiplex, check out the other (just don't try to sneak in without buying a ticket)! :)

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
-- Sigh --

Greg is a maniac. It disturbs me what he's done. I remember when Wanda was originally banned and he said "we need Wanda back". I was like "WHAT!?!" Now, his point has been proven over and over. While every thread shouldn't be riddled with listless tortured complaints and flames, the results are pretty interesting. Like his recent comments about Tippy's design skills in the wildy popular "Gold Plans" thread.

-- Oyy! --

I'll still poo-poo it all, but most of the time, if its not done in some type of hateful fit, I guess I can roll with the barbs.

~ Nexus

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
Greg is a maniac. It disturbs me what he's done. I remember when Wanda was originally banned and he said "we need Wanda back". I was like "WHAT!?!" Now, his point has been proven over and over. While every thread shouldn't be riddled with listless tortured complaints and flames, the results are pretty interesting. Like his recent comments about Tippy's design skills in the wildy popular "Gold Plans" thread.
I'll still poo-poo it all, but most of the time, if its not done in some type of hateful fit, I guess I can roll with the barbs.

Every night here is like a night at the carnival. You stroll down the midway minding your own business and a carnie starts heckling you for not spending your money at his booth. Some people love that. Something tells me GregR spent a lot of time at the County Fair when he was growing up. (I wish he would get us some nice stuffed animals though, instead of those cheezy platinum badges!) :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharpy
All this entertainment for less than .15 cents a day seems well worth it to me, nevermind the financial and knowledge gains that are obtained here.

I didn't even address the paid/non-paid issue. For me not taking a membership would be just plain stupid. I sold three names in the auction Sunday night and the profit was more than my annual membership. Sold another one in a sales thread Monday that also netted another profit greater than the annual fee. I'll sell a dozen names in next Sunday's auction. Those "it's the principle of the thing" protests make no sense to me. Which principle is that - a heartfelt conviction that you don't want to make any money?

And where are you going to find cheaper advertising for your various enterprises than here for less than $1 a week? I mean standing on your principles is fine, but why do you want to blow off both of your feet? It's kind of hard to keep your balance on two stubs. It seems to me that anyone who is serious about this business HAS to be here.

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

I have no idea what you mean, but will be happy to answer if you care to speak in something other than a riddle.

I didn't say it was necessarily a GOOD marketing ploy - but it certainly looks like it was effective. If it blows up on him in the end then that is something he will have to live with. It is the danger you take with an unorthodox approach.

What does that mean? Again I'm having a little trouble with the mind reading tonight. :)

Duke...you can thank DomeBase for my broken words.
He requested I edit my post because I made references to the corn on the end of your nose from being up gregr's arse all the time.

Sorry, but your snide remarks tend to get a little old after a while.

MF

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but your snide remarks tend to get a little old after a while.

Mud---You just insulted a platimum member. That requires you to be bitch slapped all the way back to DS...

Seriously... Let's let this thread friggen die already. At least have the common decency (someone) to start a new thread so it looks our "pay forum" is busy!! :laugh:

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I made references to the corn on the end of your nose from being up gregr's arse all the time.

yuck!

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

Mud---You just insulted a platimum member. That requires you to be bitch slapped all the way back to DS...

Seriously... Let's let this thread friggen die already. At least have the common decency (someone) to start a new thread so it looks our "pay forum" is busy!! :laugh:

LOL :D
I agree about the bitch slapping...and the new thread.

I think I'll head back over to the appraisal thread where people love to hate me! :)

Enough of the bag-licking threads for me.

Cheers!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
I've had members tell me that DS is like going to a library.
Hmm ... a library. I guess that's what I like. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators