Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What's the point of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I came to DNForum.com to discuss domain names and ended up with some new prospective regarding the meaning of life

"as you travel the roads of life, there is knowledge along those paths you take"

like when searching a niche's of domains, often i'll come across a keyword i wasn't looking for

that keyword or subject, may lead to something better later

Domain Summit 2024

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"as you travel the roads of life, there is knowledge along those paths you take"

Speaking of knowledge along the path, I,m surprised a little, having been around DNF as long as many of us have, that there are not more friends, like real pals, I have met a few Domainers and they where pleasant enough, and done some business here and there, but its not like, "Hey Tedge, I,m coming to Calgary can we get together for coffee or beer" I would make time for that, if possible.
Maybe, people are just caught up in the rat race, and they are missing out because, I,m a lot of fun lol.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Speaking of knowledge along the path, I,m surprised a little, having been around DNF as long as many of us have, that there are not more friends, like real pals, I have met a few Domainers and they where pleasant enough, and done some business here and there, but its not like, "Hey Tedge, I,m coming to Calgary can we get together for coffee or beer" I would make time for that, if possible.
Maybe, people are just caught up in the rat race, and they are missing out because, I,m a lot of fun lol.

maybe if you start a domainer's group in Calgary...they will come

sometimes it's difficult to make definitive plans for a get together, as everybody is always into their own thing

but maybe if you planned it around a domain related seminar or held it at the strip club :) .... it may be more enticing

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
but maybe if you planned it around a domain related seminar or held it at the strip club :) .... it may be more enticing

Something tells me Tedgeman doesn't have the number of many strip clubs on speed-dial...I may be wrong...

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"but maybe if you planned it around a domain related seminar or held it at the strip club"

I thought we could all met at Centre street Church, maybe on Sunday...and then we go to the strip club :)

Calgary has a big event this year: Notice the date first rodeo and festival in 1912 ... so this year is 100 years celebration!

The Calgary Stampede is an annual rodeo, exhibition and festival held every July in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The ten-day event, which bills itself as "The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth",[2] attracts over one million visitors per year and features one of the world's largest rodeos, a parade, midway, stage shows, concerts, agricultural competitions, chuckwagon racing and First Nations exhibitions.

The event's roots are traced to 1886 when the Calgary and District Agricultural Society held its first fair. American promoter Guy Weadick launched his first rodeo and festival in 1912 and returned to Calgary in 1919 to organize the Victory Stampede in honour soldiers returning from World War I. It became an annual event in 1923 when Weadick's festival merged with the Calgary Industrial Exhibition to create the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to live...not just exist

RMG

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The life has no meaning because there is no God. You die and you cry.

Look at our world: stupid and tragic deaths, hungry, diseases, pain, etc.

Tell me if there was a God why the things are this way?

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless we become all robots, and have our choices taken away, with the freedom to decide what we become, people can be evil or good, thats the stage thats set! Play it and choose, so we reap as we sow :)
Any domainers coming to Calgary, let me know .

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

We are just surviving together to keep this society get going and we pretend to be there's meaning in life.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

they are that way for "people" to make choices.... to choose to help or choose to ignore.

but let's say you are right and there is no God, as it applies to each respective religion.

if, the populations of the world were to have same opinion, then there would be no fear of what happens to your soul.

there would be no afterlife judgement

and therefore, there would be no conscience of the consequences that we humans make when deciding between good and evil or right and wrong.

religion is the tool that gives "man" the ability to control the masses.

logic and rationality is what controls the individual and those without that, are truly uncontrollable.

a world without religion and logic, would not last as we know it

:)

gr8names

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many respected scientists agree that there is a very high probability that we are living in a computer simulation:

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

If so, one's goal in life should be to be as interesting as possible. Do great things. Be a celebrity. Be famous. Be infamous. Do whatever it takes to catch the eye of whatever it is on the outside that is responsible for keeping this program running. That way your data might get backed up to be inserted into the simulation the next time it is run.

Statistically, the only way that we *aren't* in a simulation is if the human race self destructs before it develops the technology to run global scale simulations. In which case the end is nigh. Live it up! Hedonism for all!

Full disclosure (for biggedon :)): Yes, I do own a simulation domain, but I promise it has nothing to do with this.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many respected scientists agree that there is a very high probability that we are living in a computer simulation:

when given the choice, you must have took the "blue" pill

run, neo, run :)

but in reality, or in virtual reality.......looks like we may be headed in that direction

as many have already been simulated. can ya say facebook

to be part of the collective, is resistance futile?

gr8names

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually the theory is that there we don't have physical bodies at all outside the simulation. Unlike the Matrix, we aren't "jacked in" to this world. We are all pure software agents.

You do bring up a good point about nested simulations. To expound on the original proposition, some think we are living in a simulation that may be running in another simulation, and so on, like Russian nesting dolls. It could be turtles all the way down.

Of course, if we can't ever know about the outside then what difference does it make if this a simulation or not? It's our reality until someone reboots the cosmic computer.

Some physicists have proposed the universe is just one big 3D hologram - a projection of the "real" universe which is 2D. At least this one got struck down recently by advances in quantum mechanics. The only way to disprove the the simulation theory is to wait for the mushroom clouds, but by then it won't matter.

I think I need a beer.

ryanmlanane

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All I know is when I ask God for help my life gets better.

If there is no God, why does this happen repeatedly ?

Programming bug ? Also affecting millions / billions of others.

Coincidence ? Ever tried asking for help sincerely ? Try it, because if God isn't real - what is the worst that could happen :)

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All I know is when I ask God for help my life gets better.

If there is no God, why does this happen repeatedly ?

Programming bug ? Also affecting millions / billions of others.

Coincidence ? Ever tried asking for help sincerely ? Try it, because if God isn't real - what is the worst that could happen :)

Are you saying God helps people who ask for him to help but ignore others? What kind of God is it ignoring very poor unfortunate people throughout the world while helping your life (assume way lot better than those unfortunate people) get better.

ryanmlanane

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nope, I am saying .. and it is all I can say as I have little spiritual knowledge (unfortunately)

"All I know is when I ask God for help my life gets better.

If there is no God, why does this happen repeatedly ? "

As to all the philosophical questions - who am I to answer such questions. There has to be some purpose somewhere. Doesn't mean I can or ever will understand it though :)

All I know is :

"All I know is when I ask God for help my life gets better.

If there is no God, why does this happen repeatedly ? "

ryanmlanane

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I ask God for help my life gets better too. Except for when it doesn't.

I wonder what fraction of amputees have sincerely asked God to replace their missing appendage? I'm pretty sure they're batting zero in the help department.

I know a lot of handicapped people live life with more joy in their heart than I do !

Probably more than most people ..

If your life gets better when you ask for help, then why not ask for help again ?

We don't get everything we WANT - but we get everything we NEED to live the life we are suppose to.

But if I am just a program thinking this stuff up, it explains a lot. I would much rather believe something else though :)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think I am depressed but thinking about the point of life makes me feel like wanting to just disappear?

I'm not so sure about that, people who ask this question are usually unhappy, perhaps even lonely and have a pre-occupation with death.

For me the purpose in life is to experience happiness and to help others in need... And it doesn't have to be money, success or material things to make me happy, it could be helping others, helping fund a orphanage for children in desperate need of food, health care, clothing and a education, so they too can experience a happy and fulfilling life.

why on earth, I am doing things to make money more or less on daily basis. Finally we all have to leave the money and everything behind and it doesn't matter I am millionaire or billionaire, we all have to die at one point.

Your point here is; "You cant take it with you, so why bother?" The money your leaving behind is not always wasted, UNLESS of course you don't have a Will and the Government takes it...

Let's assume your a self made Billionaire, why not go from "James The Domainer" To "James the Philanthropist"?.. You may not like hearing this but one Child dies every 5 seconds from malnutrition in this World.. Maybe our purpose in life is to help others :idea:

I think you need to stop thinking of just yourself, then maybe you won't be so pre-occupied with why your here.

Last edited:

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that, people who ask this question are usually unhappy, perhaps even lonely and have a pre-occupation with death.

For me the purpose in life is to experience happiness and to help others in need... And it doesn't have to be money, success or material things to make me happy, it could be helping others, helping fund a orphanage for children in desperate need of food, health care, clothing and a education, so they too can experience a happy and fulfilling life.
View attachment cub_chimp_01.jpg

I am not depressed. I know myself and I got experience in psychiatry as a medical professional.

Animals can experience happiness and help others in need as well (as in the picture) and it doesn't mean there's point of life. I agree with you about other things and I also stated in my posts that we're here to keep this society keep going at the end. We might be able to contribute small or big but we (in the essense) try to keep this society sustainable.

Your point here is; "You cant take it with you, so why bother?" The money your leaving behind is not always wasted, UNLESS of course you don't have a Will and the Government takes it...

Let's assume your a self made Billionaire, why not go from "James The Domainer" To "James the Philanthropist"?.. You may not like hearing this but one Child dies every 5 seconds from malnutrition in this World.. Maybe our purpose in life is to help others :idea:

I think you need to stop thinking of just yourself, then maybe you won't be so pre-occupied with why your here.

The same thing you said. I have already mentioned about us being part of the society and contributing to society to keep it going. May be we can contribut big and leave legacy behind or only able to help the society to much smaller extent depending upon individuals. But it doesn't mean there is any point of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom