Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Why .com.cn sucks !

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok,

first i thought great another extension i can blow my not-so-hard-earned cash on but i'm glad i didnt reg any of those.

Most people that speak in favour of com.cn seem to have either one of these 2 opinions:

A)

"The chinese market is the worlds largest one besides the US - imagine all the zillions of people you could market to through a com.cn !" That kind of stuff.

Excuse me, but don't most chinese people rather speak chinese than english?! So unless you want to make a site using chinese letters, forget it.
There must be a reason why people even seldom reg english terms with a .de extension - i havent seen a global .de-goldrush yet, not even for "perfect for SEO" reasons.Which takes me to..

B)

".com.cn is perfect for searchengine optimisation ! Just look at all the unregged yummy keyword names ! Mmmh, i think imma get me some of these juicy ones !"
That kind of stuff.

Well, why spending $9/$19/29 ( please choose your fav registrar )
for a 3d level domain when you can get a

- .ws for like $15
- free 3d level name like xyz.cjb.net ( please choose your fav free "domain" provider ) on any rotten street corner ?!

At least the .ws are kind of easy to remember and at least the free ones are...free, you guessed it - but hey, maybe it feels just more sexy to spend $29 for something that is hard to remember AND expensive at the same time ?! Wow 2 things in one...

What do i know, but i have a suspicion that my beginner-regs ala "mybodyismy.biz" kinda have healed me from regging crapola like com.cn

Now go on regging.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Im not so sure you are right. At first I tthaught same as you, but then again: THERE ARE SO MANY CHINESE PEOPLE! I think they are already used to use english on web, so if you pick a good 1 word .com.cn, I think you might make it. Just dont reg crap like thebestxysomethingfromme.com.cn. I think typeins are one and only way..

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Notethat nobody will probally ever type in cars.ws, while cars.com.cn has billions of prospective visitors, even though its not in chinese (cos they are used to it, that web is 90% in english anyway). Just my oppinion..

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL
Just the exact same thing i have mentioned above.
Listen, i live in Germany and it's considered the world's 3d biggest consumer market in the world - still 99,9% of germans aren't able to speak better english than i speak suaheli - if thats how it's spelled.

Btw - the chinese people that do indeed speak english and are familiar with the internet, what do you think they're going to type in ? I bet it's gonna be a .com - without the .cn

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by domainAddict
Notethat nobody will probally ever type in cars.ws, while cars.com.cn has billions of prospective visitors,

How do you arrive at billions of visitors for cars.com.cn?

99.999999999999999999% of the people will forget the .cn after the .com.

I would never reg any .com.cn.

-Bob

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
where I live, im sure 80% of people who surf the web speak english.. I think that even for germany you are exagrerating..

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob

How do you arrive at billions of visitors for cars.com.cn?

99.999999999999999999% of the people will forget the .cn after the .com.

I would never reg any .com.cn.

-Bob

Chinese people wont..

Anyway, do what you want. Im not saying im right, its just my expectation.. I have regged only one till now: cigarettes.com.cn. They are being used all over the world, and will be used until we all die :) So if com.cn turns out to be a dud, Ill lose those $25. But if it turns out to be a winner, then i also have a winner. DONT YOU CRY OVER 50 BUCKS, CMON..

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just make a check and look up all the great generic english terms that are regged elswhere but .de - there is a reason for that.
Bottom line is - we might reg a GERMAN term with a .com or .net - but why an ENGLISH term with a .de ?!

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In China, they use .com, and .cn, NOT .com.cn, .net.cn, .org.cn. Those are like .biz to us.

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
if I would be looking for cigarettes, i would check .biz as well :) usually you never find what you are looking for at .com, cos they are all owned by cybersquatters..

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
Just make a check and look up all the great generic english terms that are regged elswhere but .de - there is a reason for that.
Bottom line is - we might reg a GERMAN term with a .com or .net - but why an ENGLISH term with a .de ?!

I agree english term +.de is bad choice. But i must say that english term + com.cn makes more sence to me..

Also, for long time english was the only supported character set for domain names, when chinese characters are pretty new to everyone.

Not to mention that German market isnt even as near as big as chinese..

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps some people who registered .com.cn names did so in pure speculation.

Maybe in a few years these names will be worth many times more IN THE CHINESE MARKET, ie have increased resale value.

If we follow the speculative retionale, we don't need to be concerned about which language to develop them in and/or the current state of type-ins.

NZmp3.com.nz gets many many more type-ins than NZmp3.com (I know this for sure). This as an example of a "developed" local market for a 2nd level extension.

You are all right but let's not forget the reason some are here ie to speculate.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"makes more sence to me.."
Exactly - but not to chinese people unfortunately.

"when chinese characters are pretty new to everyone."
LOL - it might be news for you, but chinese is a zillion years old so to most chinese people my guess is its not SO new.
Also you mix up characters for domains and characters for typing .

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, .com.cn, .net.cn and .org.cn are already widely used by chinese sites.

.com.au is reasonably popular here in Australia, and we only have a population of 18 million..

It is a gamble, but perhaps worth it if you choose wisely..

I just spent $100 on 5 .cn's. If it's a failure I haven't lost much, but if it's a success...........

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

LOL - it might be news for you, but chinese is a zillion years old so to most chinese people my guess is its not SO new.

This brings to mind the Real Names fiasco. Up until this past year, a lot of Chinese were using "Real Name" technology to type Asian characters directly in to the browser address window. They liked having the ability to logically surf the web using their own language. Many Chinese people were upset with Microsoft when they pulled the plug on Real Names. What this points out is the Chinese PREFER using their own natural characters as opposed the the Roman centric characters (duh). Most of the chinese that use dot com or .cn are fluent in english. This is a very small #, compared to the rest of the chinese population. Keep this in mind.

If you want "domain gold" don't buy .cn or .com.cn. Come up with an equitable solution for the asian populations to logically surf the web using their own natural language. Their language is is a big part of their culture. Many in the west don't understand this, and it's no wonder these ".com.cn" type ventures fail.

izopod

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"makes more sence to me.."
Exactly - but not to chinese people unfortunately.

I AM TALKING ABOUT CHARACTERS FOR DOMAINS. NO MIXUP, EXCEPT ONE IN YOUR HEAD :D As I recall, chinese character domains werent available to register for quite some time :)
Anyway, you might be right that they are worthless, but just in case they arent, i have spent $25. Not much to loose, but lots to gain..

star

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Agree with doberry.
Most popular chinese site are using .com as far as know.

C

chinewang

If you have .com.cn,you can register .cn now.
.cn is the best,.cn=.com+.net

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would be interested to hear some comments on this from someone located in China. Regardless, when you are saying that it is market of 1 billion people, it is totally misleading. How many of those acutally have a computer or access to one? And those that do have a computer, how many of those have access to the Internet? Of course, it is a market for the future. But we are talking a lot of changes that involves culture, infrastructure, economy etc. It will take time. So don't expect anything to happen for many years to come.

Just my opinion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators