Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Why .com.cn sucks !

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chinewang

Originally posted by DryHeat

Is that true? This is the first time I read this....:confused:
If you own .com.cn,you can register .cn first for 3 month.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DryHeat

Is that true? This is the first time I read this....:confused:

Well actually, anyone can register .cn, if you can find a reseller in china that has an english language site.

The same way other countries register .us, and they are not supposed to..

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kvinsencius
So don't expect anything to happen for many years to come.

Just my opinion :)
But if it was already happening it would be too late to speculate, wouldn't it? :)

China has one of the fastest growing internet populations in the world:

"China has surpassed Japan to become the second largest global at-home Internet population, the Internet audience measurement service Nielsen/NetRatings reported Monday in Los Angeles. China's Internet population is only next to the United States' 166 million, but only accounting for 5.5 percent of homes in the country"

Lots of room for growth...

Google returns over 2.5 Million websites using .com.cn, 800K using .net.cn, and 500K using .org.cn

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beachie
But if it was already happening it would be too late to speculate, wouldn't it? :)

China has one of the fastest growing internet populations in the world:

"China has surpassed Japan to become the second largest global at-home Internet population, the Internet audience measurement service Nielsen/NetRatings reported Monday in Los Angeles. China's Internet population is only next to the United States' 166 million, but only accounting for 5.5 percent of homes in the country"

Lots of room for growth...

Google returns over 2.5 Million websites using .com.cn, 800K using .net.cn, and 500K using .org.cn

Speculating on a romain character, chinese CCTLD is about the funniest thing I've ever heard. It's true there are chinese people that use dot com/.cn/.com.cn....However they PREFER to use their own natural language when accessing a site.

Just ask yourself this. Why the hell would the Chinese gov't allow the wholesale raping of the .cn and .com.cn namespace?? Answer: They don't care if you buy, Recipe.com.cn, etc. To the average chinese citizen, "Recipe" might as well be "Gobleygook"....

Think about it!

izopod

llew

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm a chinese american (born in the US), but I do know lots of popular .com.cn sites like

people.com.cn
zdnet.com.cn
download.com.cn
legend.com.cn
icbc.com.cn
dreamer.com.cn

You can check alexa for their popularity. Also chinese people uses the pinyin system, which uses the alphabets(a-z) to represent the spelling of chinese words. Examples are sites such as
sohoo.com.cn (Search fox)
beijixing.com.cn (north star)

Would be interested to hear some comments on this from someone located in China. Regardless, when you are saying that it is market of 1 billion people, it is totally misleading. How many of those acutally have a computer or access to one? And those that do have a computer, how many of those have access to the Internet? Of course, it is a market for the future. But we are talking a lot of changes that involves culture, infrastructure, economy etc. It will take time. So don't expect anything to happen for many years to come.

Just my opinion :)

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The figures does not surprise me. But to say that it is a potential market of 1 billion people is not correct in my opinion. I can see the bigger cites like Shang Hai, Hong Kong, Peking etc. having big invlovement in those figures. But I find it really hard to believe that it would grow much more after that. What I mean is when will the rest of the country catch up? I think if you look at the percentage of Internet users compared to the population China has, it still has a long way to go. If I'm not mistaken, I think Sweden is ranked either 1st or 2nd in that department. But still, a figure close to 100 million users is not bad for one country :)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by llew
Well, I'm a chinese american (born in the US), but I do know lots of popular .com.cn sites like

No offense, but the the "marketing" behind .com.cn (.cn) is that we can now have a way to attract the 1 billion Chinese citizens in China. The sites you list are roman-character domains. To the average chinese citizen these names don't mean anything. To think we can "convert" 1 billion people to use "roman character" domains is absurd in my point of view.

izopod

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
Speculating on a romain character, chinese CCTLD is about the funniest thing I've ever heard.
Tell that to the 4 Million+ sites currently using the roman character .cn namespace..

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of CN domains already. Boy, that was fast :weird:

llew

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No offense taken. But did you even look at the traffic for people.com.cn? Traffic rank 663 on alexa, it's completely chinese, which means only people who understand chinese(for example average chinese citizen) will go visit the site. Why would they type in a name that means nothing to them?

No offense, but the the "marketing" behind .com.cn (.cn) is that we can now have a way to attract the 1 billion Chinese citizens in China. The sites you list are roman-character domains. To the average chinese citizen these names don't mean anything. To think we can "convert" 1 billion people to use "roman character" domains is absurd in my point of view.

izopod

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beachie
Tell that to the 4 Million+ sites currently using the roman character .cn namespace..

Ok...you're going to laugh...

Guess how many of those .cn sites are chinese based?

Yup, probably most of them. Go figure, the chinese using their own ccTLD.

If you think the average english speaking person is going to buy a .com.cn/.cn site and adequately create a site to attract chinese visitors you are sadly mistaken. It costs $$$ to create a chinese language site.

If you think the average english speaking person is going to buy a .com.cn/.cn domain name (in great numbers) to sell to people in china you are again sadly mistaken. From what I gather the registry has been open for a couple of years to chinese citizens. If they haven't had the desire to purchase the names themselves by now, what "gems" could we offer them that they already haven't had access to.

My guess as to why China is opening the .cn CCTLD to everyone is because they wanted to sell their "unused" portion of their name-space. Now I wonder why after all this time that the some of the english-word space would still be available...

izopod

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is a freebie - LoveSongs.com.cn. I would have taken that one if I was interested in that market. $20 DNF if someone takes it :D

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kvinsencius...look deeper :)

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by E-Promote
kvinsencius...look deeper :)

Can't go deeper than that. I tried and bounced right back up :laugh:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
heres one:

individualist.com.cn (Hehe)

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you think the average english speaking person is going to buy a .com.cn/.cn site and adequately create a site to attract chinese visitors you are sadly mistaken. It costs $$$ to create a chinese language site. izopod
"It seems there are more people learning to speak English in China than there are English speakers in the whole of the United States."

http://abc.net.au/asiapacific/location/asia/GoAsiaPacificLocationStories_717371.htm

Use your imagination.. I just registered several which would be of interest to business outside of China, including:

imports.org.cn
exports.org.cn

Hey, maybe I have wasted my money, but that's what speculation is all about :)

Originally posted by izopod To think we can "convert" 1 billion people to use "roman character" domains is absurd in my point of view.
Seems to me that their own namespace is roman character. Unless you're gonna tell me 'c' and 'n' are Chinese characters..

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The figures does not surprise me. But to say that it is a potential market of 1 billion people is not correct in my opinion. I can see the bigger cites like Shang Hai, Hong Kong, Peking etc. having big invlovement in those figures. But I find it really hard to believe that it would grow much more after that. What I mean is when will the rest of the country catch up? I think if you look at the percentage of Internet users compared to the population China has, it still has a long way to go. If I'm not mistaken, I think Sweden is ranked either 1st or 2nd in that department. But still, a figure close to 100 million users is not bad for one country :)

Ive read something about 50% yearly growth of internet users in China.. Doesnt sound bad to me :)

domainAddict

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Ok...you're going to laugh...

Guess how many of those .cn sites are chinese based?

Yup, probably most of them. Go figure, the chinese using their own ccTLD.

If you think the average english speaking person is going to buy a .com.cn/.cn site and adequately create a site to attract chinese visitors you are sadly mistaken. It costs $$$ to create a chinese language site.

If you think the average english speaking person is going to buy a .com.cn/.cn domain name (in great numbers) to sell to people in china you are again sadly mistaken. From what I gather the registry has been open for a couple of years to chinese citizens. If they haven't had the desire to purchase the names themselves by now, what "gems" could we offer them that they already haven't had access to.

My guess as to why China is opening the .cn CCTLD to everyone is because they wanted to sell their "unused" portion of their name-space. Now I wonder why after all this time that the some of the english-word space would still be available...

izopod

Please dont be ridiculous.. Even in .com .net and .org there are still few good domains left, and they are on scene for much much longer time, so by your statement all .coms should be gone after initial 2 years? Cmon, get real..

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by chinewang
If you have .com.cn,you can register .cn now.
.cn is the best,.cn=.com+.net

chinewang..thats interesting as just yesterday I posed that asa hypothetical..

Could Icann come March..give a "sunrise" on .CN to those who have the .com.cn !...

http://dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14810

"

The ONLY thing I have been wondering about..what if in March the powers that be have a "sunrise" for owners of .com.cn !

if you own mysite.com.cn..what if they give those owners say 15 days to grab the mysite.cn ? !

Not saying they will..just something for consideration.

Unlikely...but..makes you wonder.."

Are YOU saying that this is how it IS going to work ?

And how do you know this? are you able to point us to any verifying links?

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner

The ONLY thing I have been wondering about..what if in March the powers that be have a "sunrise" for owners of .com.cn !

if you own mysite.com.cn..what if they give those owners say 15 days to grab the mysite.cn ? !

Not saying they will..just something for consideration.

Unlikely...but..makes you wonder.."

Are YOU saying that this is how it IS going to work ?

And how do you know this? are you able to point us to any verifying links?

Great question Bid. I'm sitting on a VERY nice .com.cn name - but haven't registered it yet. If I knew I was going to get first shot at the .cn version - then I would definitely register it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators