• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed Â£.com (and poundsymbol-dotcom)

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian1234

New Member
Legacy Gold Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2006
Messages
689
Reaction score
24
Hi

I am hoping to get a 'ball-park' appraisal on this domain name identity. There are actually two names here (as detailed in the title) and both are translations of one another, graphically and textually.

£.com is, of course, an IDN and represents the British pound symbol. The £ symbol may be found on 18 country keyboards throughout Europe (incl. the UK). You do need an IDN-enabled browser to make £.com resolve properly and the stats now show that IDN-enabled browsers are quickly replacing non-IDN browsers around the world (the fact that Vista, an IDN-enabled OS, has recently been released doesn't hurt either!).

The £.com domain gets significant 'type in' every day, but I am reluctant to post any stats at this time.

Regards,
 
its the probably only one idn domain, i would ever have bought

and $.com as well

nice name
 
It seems pretty to me. Could worth really much for the right person!
 
How long have you had it regged and where is it regged?

Getting too many conflicting issues with one character IDN's being registered and then suddenly dropped by the registrars for not supporting one character domains even when entering the complete domain (ie, xn--?????.com as an example of domain).
 
i like it too.
:yes:
i don't have a Scooby doo on value though, sorry ;)
 
Hi Doc Com, I've had £.com over 2 years now and it's regged with my dear friends at gkg.net.
I might have to check them out. As mentioned, many registrars that even accept IDN's are kicking back some of the IDN's when they are single character like this.
 
Hi Doc Com, I've had £.com over 2 years now and it's regged with my dear friends at gkg.net.
I might have to check them out. As mentioned, many registrars that even accept IDN's are kicking back some of the IDN's when they are single character like this.
 
I might have to check them out. As mentioned, many registrars that even accept IDN's are kicking back some of the IDN's when they are single character like this.


It's not necessarily that it is single vharacter, but I believe you may not be able to fresh-reg any more symbol domains...

I have single numerals in a few languages, as well as single letters, and I always use Dynadot.

As far as an appraisal for the domain, I think the sky is the limit for this one.
 
Awesome, simply awesome. How do you value something like that?

It's not necessarily that it is single vharacter, but I believe you may not be able to fresh-reg any more symbol domains...

I have single numerals in a few languages, as well as single letters, and I always use Dynadot.

As far as an appraisal for the domain, I think the sky is the limit for this one.
In response to your assessment, I was able to reg symbols.

Here are some single character (symbol) I recently regged
È£.net
ʊ.net
♋.net
�*.net
✟.net
♊.net
ʬ.net
⑂.com
⌗.com


My interpretation of these are:

Bull with horns (any U. Texas fans out there?
Horseshoe
69 baby! Oo La La
This is not appearing but it is a face (looks like pottery)
here's a link to see it: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=xn--m7j.net&registrar=sedopark
Christian Cross
Gemini Symbol (Zodiac)
Just a neat stacked W's
Football Goal Post
Tic Tac Toe


Just novelty items, but I think kinda cool nevertheless.

Even dynadot mistakenly listed some as available but are unable to be regged. It appears that the symbol must be associated with a language acceptable in an IDN format. Some, needless to say, are reserved.

Very surprised the British Pound symbol was not reserved.

It will be interesting to see if the one I regged and are shown get kicked back in a matter of a few days.

But so far all are resolving to the sedo page (which I have not optimized yet).

I don't expect revenue. Just having fun.
 
I think they are great, but I fear that at some stage they are going to be knocked back by Verisign and deleted. There's another thread called "ass.com" which has a single char closed omega where it's all discussed again.

I'd hate to build a huge site around a domain that's destined to be removed, but as I say, I do like these and some of them are very marketable.

Might just be worth confirming with your registry that the thing won't be booted.

£.com - priceless otherwise!
 
I think there are great, but I fear that at some stage they are going to be knocked back by Verisign and deleted. There's another thread called "ass.com" which has a single char closed omega where it's all discussed again.

I'd hate to build a huge site around a domain that's destined to be removed, but as I say, I do like these and some of them are very marketable.

Might just be worth confirming with your registry that the thing won't be booted.

£.com - priceless otherwise!
£.com is absolutely priceless. I am still amazed that was not put in the vault somewhere.

I am also familiar with closed omega.

These are legitimate IDN's but would probably fall somewhere in a novelty type category. For reg fee, I figured what the heck. Add to the portfolio.

I agree that there is always that possibility they may be "taken" by verisign, but I think the key is to find those that are part of an alphabet or established language already encoded as an IDN.

There are several that I have tried to reg that are coming up as being available but are not being registered. This happens.

But £.com? Stunning!
 
I might have to check them out. As mentioned, many registrars that even accept IDN's are kicking back some of the IDN's when they are single character like this.

Some registrars aren't allowing you to register them now. They are letting you renew them.
 
Some registrars aren't allowing you to register them now. They are letting you renew them.
Good to know. I am registering many as I see beyond the novelty of it and see the symbol serving as an international meaning perhaps, similar to numbers.

Even if not, what the heck, they are fun and don't cost an arm and a leg or two ⊍⊍.com.

Sorry, had to get that one in there.
 
Good to know. I am registering many as I see beyond the novelty of it and see the symbol serving as an international meaning perhaps, similar to numbers.

Even if not, what the heck, they are fun and don't cost an arm and a leg or two ⊍⊍.com.

Sorry, had to get that one in there.

Those useless symbols will be gone when punycode is updated to the new standard most likely.
 
Awesome domain that will command a very high price - £.com although €.com (Has the edge for me).

$.com - to the best of my knowledge cannot be registered.

Anyway, I am definitely on side owning £Sterling.com
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom