Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

_outlook _q_ _ :p

• Thread starter Deleted member 4749
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 4749

I'm changing my computer, does anyone know how I can transfer outlook messages from one computer to another? I don't want to email them to theserver and then download them again cause I need them untouched. Anyone know how to do it?

Thanks!
:approve:

M

mole

You can save all your email messages into individual files which is then transportable just like you do for any other files.

Open up an email in Outlook > File > Save As > Message Format

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The easiest and best way is to go:

file > export > messages

...and while you're at it

file > export > address book

Then when you set outlook up on your new machine, go:

file > import > messages

...and...

file > import > address book

Easy!

(Although I advise you to get rid of Outlook and Windows altogether ;))

M

mole

What version of Outlook are you using dan? Mine's Office XP and that Import/Export function is really confusing as it leads to a Wizard and doesn't have those simple commands you were referring to :huh:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by danield The easiest and best way is to go: file > export > messages

...and while you're at it

file > export > address book

Then when you set outlook up on your new machine, go:

file > import > messages

...and...

file > import > address book

Easy!

(Although I advise you to get rid of Outlook and Windows altogether ;))

I also have a problem of copying or archving the inbox and sentbox.

How do you transfer them to the new PC?

How can multiple files be combined into one big inbox/sentbox?

Also, I can't get Outlook 2002 to put addresses in my Address Book. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do a search for *.pst and *.pab files on your hard drive. The pst files should be your message file and perhaps your archived messages file (if you used the auto-archive function) and the pab file is your personal address book.

If you have a cd burner, you can copy them to a cd, if not then you could try a crossover cable between your old and new machines

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the varients of Outlook and how they operate. For basic outlook express that we have on our network with win2kpro, it's that simple.

RealNames: as wyvern said above you burn them to CD, or network the 2 PCs, or use a zip disk/stick or something to get the files across.

I've done the process many times and it's usually as simple as exporting them, and then importaning them and everything usually keeps its same structure.

I am not a Windows user, but I admin a Windows network and know how great their "wizards" can be.

I know it's off topic, but I really do suggest you take time to learn more about Unix-based computing. You will never want to use Windows again! (ok maybe for Photoshop, but that's about it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators