Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Brandable.uk

... a change brewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.circleid.com/article/738_0_1_0_C/

"This proposal outlines the creation of a new market for the efficient disposal of domain names that are about to expire and how Registrants are best included as an integral part of this process."

"Essentially the demand side of the ESP market has evolved to create a useful efficiency. The supply side, however, remains woefully inefficient. This must change."

What's interesting is that this 'plan' was put forth by the #2 domain registrar. I wouldn't be surprised if Tucows stopped dropping their names.

Domain Summit 2024

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chaiki said:
http://www.circleid.com/article/738_0_1_0_C/

"This proposal outlines the creation of a new market for the efficient disposal of domain names that are about to expire and how Registrants are best included as an integral part of this process."

"Essentially the demand side of the ESP market has evolved to create a useful efficiency. The supply side, however, remains woefully inefficient. This must change."

What's interesting is that this 'plan' was put forth by the #2 domain registrar. I wouldn't be surprised if Tucows stopped dropping their names.

Regulation of ESP's via an authoritative body, would be IMO a viable proposal. Under the drop markets current manifestation, you don't have to be psychic to figure out........ the system is broken. Especially when it comes to the "rights" of domainers/registrants and endusers alike.

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes but, say Tucows implements this. How long do you think it would take before Enom, GoDaddy, Netsol, Register and Melbourne IT do the same? What will be left to drop the old fashioned way? What will happen to those 100's of registrars participating in the drop game and the auction houses like pool, snapnames, namewinner etc. If this happens it will be a big change.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chaiki said:
Yes but, say Tucows implements this. How long do you think it would take before Enom, GoDaddy, Netsol, Register and Melbourne IT do the same? What will be left to drop the old fashioned way? What will happen to those 100's of registrars participating in the drop game and the auction houses like pool, snapnames, namewinner etc. If this happens it will be a big change.

This is an understandable strategy for established registrars with lots of registered domain names against dozens of new startup registrars competing in the drop game. It's an intriguing idea, and something definitely needs to happen to change the current drop situation. But I think it's going to have to make it past a few legal challenges. Hopefully Tucows has already organized some allies and is ready for a fight.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to explain what the page said in a few sentences? As I didn't particulary wanna read the whole article.

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chaiki said:

If tucows did implement such a plan...would they not be going against ICANN's "Registrar Accredidation Aggrement" ?http://icann.org/registrars/ra-agreement-10nov99.htm

Most notabley:

J. Business Dealings, Including with SLD Holders.

"9. Registrar shall abide by any ICANN-adopted policy prohibiting or restricting warehousing of or speculation in domain names by registrars."

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ExpireGuy said:
If tucows did implement such a plan...would they not be going against ICANN's "Registrar Accredidation Aggrement" ?

If Tucows has released the details of their plan, I have not seen them. If they want to help a registrant voluntarily sell an expiring domain name, there shouldn't be any compliance problems. If they want to lobby for a change in the rules, no problem. If they want to sell domain names without the consent of the former registrant and without deleting the domain at the registry, then I'm sure they will face plenty of opposition. We can only guess until the details are made public.

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chatcher said:
If Tucows has released the details of their plan, I have not seen them. If they want to help a registrant voluntarily sell an expiring domain name, there shouldn't be any compliance problems. If they want to lobby for a change in the rules, no problem. If they want to sell domain names without the consent of the former registrant and without deleting the domain at the registry, then I'm sure they will face plenty of opposition. We can only guess until the details are made public.

Here's an update just released (speak of the devil).....
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040907/nytu194_1.html

" Presently, most registrants of expiring domain names are unaware of the potential value of their name and do not share in any revenue from the resale of their domain name," said Elliot Noss, President and CEO, Tucows Inc. "We estimate that the resale of expiring domain names in the secondary market generates about $60 million a year in revenue. Tucows' new service will enable our registrants to get their fair share of this market."

"Tucows' new domain auction service is designed to give its registrants the opportunity to share in the revenue from the resale of their expiring or recently expired domain name while preserving all of their existing rights. Tucows will share all proceeds from the auction service with the former registrant and participating service providers - with the registrant receiving the largest portion."

Doesn't this count as speculating from a registrar to a degree? Their registrants...Their auction? Their cut of a 60 million dollar market?

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your quote: Doesn't this count as speculating from a registrar to a degree? Their registrants. Their auction? Their cut of a 60 million dollar market?

I am inclined to agree, but what is to stop them from "pulling a pool" set up some 3rd party service under a different name brand that is not directly connected and partner with their registrar and major resellers to offer an "impartial" service through this service. The bottom line is that Tucows seems well positioned with a pocket of expiring names, to take advantage of Snap, Enom, Pool's aggresive lead and "get creative" with the process. Things definately seem 2 be changing; and as we have all seen, lawsuits typically move very slowly and have little consequence on the process.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
chatcher said:
Couldn't the details just be covered in the registration agreement/TOS?

So they agree to allow Tucows' aid in selling their domain(s) if/when expiree is met. That would be along the lines of "helping the registrant sell their unwanted domains" rather than "selling the domains without permission".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Days till Domain Summit

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom