Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

A domain at tucows has expired, where can i snatch it from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetman

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi HOPE,

Most Tucows expired domains flow into the NameJet auction (http://www.namejet.com) approximately 25-26 days after expiry. Make sure you put a bid on the domain before day 39 (39 days after expiry), otherwise you might miss the chance to get in on the auction.

Good luck, and happy bidding!

Bill

whitey59

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A domain at tucows has expired, where can i snatch it from?

Be careful grabbing Tucows domains.

Check the whois to find the reseller of the domain - likely a hosting company.

Often times the hosting company that resells Tucows dropped domains will not have a domain transfer capability and have no online resource to get the auth key to enable a transfer. Less often, but often enough, the hosting company will not respond to your emails requesting the auth key. Many have api's that only allow registration affiliated with a hosting plan - thus opening a "free" hosting account when the domain ends up in their api.

Emails to namejet will refer you to the registrar. Emails to Tucows will refer you to the hosting company. Maybe the hosting company will answer your email. When they answer, maybe they will provide you with the auth key. If the domain is worth it, it is worth spending the time to fight it through. For me, the two times it happened, within close time proximity, were with domains that were not worth sending tons of emails back and forth. After the 5th round of emails, I simply gave up. Neither host ever responded. I could have forced the issue, but it was simply not worth my time.

So, buyer beware. You may be in for a battle to actually get the domain into your preferred registrars account, much less resell it. This is likely not true of all Tucows registrations, but my two experience with Tucows dropped domains through Namejet ended the same way - I walked away.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Often times the hosting company that resells Tucows dropped domains will not have a domain transfer capability and have no online resource to get the auth key to enable a transfer.
I suspect you were not told the whole truth by those one or two Tucows resellers. First and foremost, every REGISTRANT with Tucows (not to say reseller) could access and even modify auth code online (at manage.opensrs.net). And transfer away is actually done "centrally" at registrar (and not reseller) level, so I'm not sure about their (latters') role in here.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

whitey59

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suspect you were not told the whole truth by those one or two Tucows resellers. First and foremost, every REGISTRANT with Tucows (not to say reseller) could access and even modify auth code online (at manage.opensrs.net). And transfer away is actually done "centrally" at registrar (and not reseller) level, so I'm not sure about their (latters') role in here.

Not sure what you did not understand.

Tucows requires a username and PW. To login, you need to have them. When a name drops and you acquire it, you require that info from the registrar that it is registered with. If that information is provided for the host interface and not Tucows, you cannot login to the opnesrs interface. If a host does not answer your emails (no, the hosts did not mislead me, they simply did not answer as I clearly stated), you cannot acquire the the login. If Tucows refers you back to the host, which is not answering, you cannot obtain said information.

In fact, this is the information I get back from opensrs when logging in with the user/pass I was given..

Error: Invalid username/password combination for xxxxx.net.

Authentication Error.
For support regarding xxxxxxxxx.net, please contact your reseller, SoftCom
Inc. via the following:

SoftCom Inc., [email protected]
http://softcom.com

Please visit http://myhosting.com or http://mail2web.com for support with
domain name logins and passwords, DNS and Name Server changes, renewals and
general inquiries.

Tucows does not provide a user/pw recovery interface.

I thought that was all clear in my post, as well as the fact that one could spend enough time ot resolve it. It was a caveat with those specific paramaters - and it was not worth my time for those domains to spend it. Quite clearly, the original poster got it.

Tucows refers one back to the reseller which does not answer either phones or emails meaning having the opensrs url is quite meaningless. That, my friend, was the simple message of my simple caveat emptor, and it is said caveat I would emphasize to anyone purchasing Tucows expired domains from namejet - make sure it is worth the time to get access to it.!!

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you did not understand.

Read it again :)

Sweetman

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@ whitey59 - Since I work for Tucows and manage the expired domain auction program, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could email me directly (bsweetman [at] tucows.com) with the specifics of the two auction domain names that you had a problem with. I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience, and I want to investigate what may have happened with these domains since the problems you describe are certainly *not* typical of what happens to expired Tucows domains auctioned via NameJet, and the vast majority of people who buy Tucows expired domains every day from NameJet are very satisfied.

For the record, all Tucows expired domains auctioned through NameJet are placed with myhosting.com, a Tucows reseller, and they provide excellent customer support via phone, email, and live chat. For help with domains acquired this way, visit http://myhosting.com/help/ ... and you can transfer the domain away to another registrar at any time, if you wish to.

The only reason a Tucows expired domain would end up somewhere other than with myhosting.com is if it was a Tucows expired domain that *dropped* and was picked up via a dropcatching services (like SnapNames and Pool) ... those could end up with whatever registrar the dropcatching service is using, and as we all know not every registrar offers the same level of customer service.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@ whitey59 - Since I work for Tucows and manage the expired domain auction program, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could email me directly (bsweetman [at] tucows.com) with the specifics of the two auction domain names that you had a problem with. I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience, and I want to investigate what may have happened with these domains since the problems you describe are certainly *not* typical of what happens to expired Tucows domains auctioned via NameJet, and the vast majority of people who buy Tucows expired domains every day from NameJet are very satisfied.

For the record, all Tucows expired domains auctioned through NameJet are placed with myhosting.com, a Tucows reseller, and they provide excellent customer support via phone, email, and live chat. For help with domains acquired this way, visit http://myhosting.com/help/ ... and you can transfer the domain away to another registrar at any time, if you wish to.

The only reason a Tucows expired domain would end up somewhere other than with myhosting.com is if it was a Tucows expired domain that *dropped* and was picked up via a dropcatching services (like SnapNames and Pool) ... those could end up with whatever registrar the dropcatching service is using, and as we all know not every registrar offers the same level of customer service.

Thanks for the update.

whitey59

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sweetman...

I will hit you up with an email later today.

Thanks for the response, and I will post the resolution once done.

BTW, the hosting company was myhosting.com which I did not realize was part of Tucows. I may have deleted a bunch of the emails, but I am sure I can find some to forward to you.

Sweetman

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wanted to follow up this thread with an excerpt from the email I sent whitey59 after I had looked into the particular situation he had experienced.

"This was one of those "perfect storm" situations, which I am very sorry about. As I suspected, what appears to have happened here is that you never received the 'welcome' email from myhosting.com [the reseller that Tucows auctioned domains are transferred to], which would have given you details about who to contact, next steps, etc. Not surprisingly, and very regretably, without that information you were forced to try to resolve the situation on your own, but of course you weren't sure who to contact, etc. I don't know why you didn't receive the 'welcome' email from myhosting.com, but the normal process is that everyone who wins a Tucows domain in auction at NameJet gets sent one of those."

I went on to add that I recognize the current solution could be more domainer-friendly, and that is something I am working on. I hope to have an improved solution in place before the end of this year. To their credit, myhosting.com is a great company and normally very responsive to customer support queries, but I fully acknowledge that domainers would prefer not to have to contact myhosting.com to unlock their domain, get auth code, etc.

All that being said, I still think the process we have in place currently is better than some of the other options out there (where names you win in auction end up at some very sub-par 'registrars'), and the quality of expired Tucows domains that flow into the NameJet auction is very good, so I would encourage anyone who is interested in bidding on a domain to do so.

WebMaster

Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi HOPE,

Most Tucows expired domains flow into the NameJet auction (http://www.namejet.com) approximately 25-26 days after expiry. Make sure you put a bid on the domain before day 39 (39 days after expiry), otherwise you might miss the chance to get in on the auction.

Good luck, and happy bidding!

Bill

And there flows other expired tucows domains ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators