Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Academical.com Advises.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tga

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Please appraise.

Academical.com
Advises.com

Thanks.

Domain summit 2024

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmm, nice attempt, but advices... thats not correct, and neither is academical.
Advice (is for both plural and singular) and academic is much better

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Advises must be a very old spelling that still exists in some dictionary. However, I think this spelling is unknown and unheard of to most people. I like the name Academical.com Should fetch somwhere in the region of $1,000 at least.

Good Luck!!

Originally posted by kvinsencius
Advises must be a very old spelling that still exists in some dictionary. However, I think this spelling is unknown and unheard of to most people. I like the name Academical.com Should fetch somwhere in the region of $1,000 at least.

Good Luck!!

"Advice" is the noun, "advise" the verb. When Ann Landers advises people, she gives them advice.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Academical.com is worth absolutely nothing. $0.

The correct word is "Academic". Although "Academical" is not techinically incorrect, it is very archaic. The Oxford English Dictionary lists it as rare, last cited in 1868!

academical has 40,800 pages on google and does seem to have some scope. $500-$2k if approached would seem reasonable, $15 on ebay.

advises.com i don't see any potential with.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
academical has 40,800 pages on google and does seem to have some scope.

This by itself doesn't (IMO) indicate that a domain is worth more than $0. Illiteracy is rampant on the web.

However, I am surprised at the number of organizations (at least a few) that have then word "academical" in them. So perhaps you can find a buyer after all.

i would say that the users of academical rather than academic were more likely to be educated to a higher standard and hence less likely to be illiterate. i never look at just the google numbers, I take into account the context its used in within the results.

my initial reaction was that i would be posting a "no value" reply - but the number of organizations and the elitist feel to the domain is what changed my mind.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
i would say that the users of academical rather than academic were more likely to be educated to a higher standard and hence less likely to be illiterate.

Academical may sound more educated, but it is really just an extra syllable. There is nothing that academical implies that "academic" doesn't imply. Academical does sound elitist, but elitist in a bad way. Academical is a word that someone might use when they want to sound intelligent, but is actually not. Thus I argue that it is a sign of illiteracy. I am currently a university student, and I can honestly tell you that I have never, ever heard the word academical used on campus.

Example:
# of times "academic" appears on the princeton.edu website: 12,000+
# of times "academical" appears on the princeton.edu website: 5
I think this speaks for itself.

Originally posted by dmorel
Academical is a word that someone might use when they want to sound intelligent, but is actually not.

I see what you mean with that and it makes sense.

maybe someone would buy the name for their organization to fuel their need to be perceived as intelligent?

I see "advises.com" as the stronger name, by a lot.

Anyone who gives advice, "advises." (Thanks goh for pointing out the difference here between the noun and verb form.)

Not in the same league as "advice.com," but still a domain with value.

Very appealing for anyone or any company that "advises"--lawyers and all sort of consultants.

Plug in "advises" into Yahoo and go through as many returns as possible to see the sorts of businesses that could use this word/domain.

Especially appealing for a one-person or small consultancy.

Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators