Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

closed Advice Needed - Been contacted by PI Firm

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

siaver

Domain Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello board members,

I was contacted today by a lady that said she wanted to buy the domain name gseek.com for her son's band. I said I didn't have a price in mind at the moment and would get it appraised. She then goes on about not knowing about such services etc..... The funny thing was she knew phone number and said she would email me (didn't ask for email address) so obviously knew how to get whois contact info.

After she hung up, I did a reverse search on the name.... came up as Stratagies Unlimited out of NY (she said she was in NY) after not finding too much info on that name, I did a search on the address that was associated with the name..... what came next was a surprise: Kessler International ( A large Private Investigation Firm) and shortly found this afterwards

Kessler International - Domain Name Acquisitions

So now I'm curious, anyone have any dealings with this firm?
Can you guys give me a good end-user price for the domain gseek.com?

also, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Frontline

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well they obviously want it for someone, while she maybe telling the truth about it being for her sons band or she may actually be trying to get it for a customer. I'd ask for $500, but its all up to you. Let us know how it goes.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain does not make much sense at first look but may have a value for the party interested in it. Ask for $500 and see how much they are willing to pay.

URLtrader

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do business with (potential) liars?

I don't know if I would feel comfortable about that.

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They want to hide their ID because if you knew who they were, you may charge more! Therefore if their ID is consealed they have a better chance of a fair price. Nothing too sinister about that.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have dealt with them in the past. I actually sold a name directly to Mr. Kessler which he was purchasing on behalf of one of his clients. It was just under 5 figures and he was actually great to deal with. Sent me a bank check for the full amount via fedex and asked that I sign an agreement to transfer the name which I happily did.
This was back when transfering a name was a pain in the ass.
I suggest calling their office in NYC and simply ask if they are interested in the name.
Gl

John

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aggieuk said:
They want to hide their ID because if you knew who they were, you may charge more! Therefore if their ID is consealed they have a better chance of a fair price. Nothing too sinister about that.

I agree, this is a common practice.
I received an email once from a @ yahoo email address, and when I checked the sender's IP( I do that from time to time, to be sure :-D) , I got a big corporation as well:)

Phantom

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cha-CHING!!!

No one retains the services of a firm like that unless they are serious and have a big budget.

Question is, how to find out how big. You could try auctioning this on Ebay.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For an Investigation company they don't train their people too well. All they had to do was block caller ID on the line they make these domain inquiries on, and you never would have known it was them. I'm not surprised though. Incompetence has become the rule, rather than the exception. Ask for 1K to start things off.

smonline

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tough call, but I wouldn't let it go for a firesale price.

Who knows? Think of Google's new gmail. How much is that domain worth now?

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WHAT??!!!??

You mean people say things that aren't true when trying to buy my names? You mean 97% of the people writing me from yahoo accounts AREN'T really "students" or "a shoestring startup with only $100 to spend"??? With dying grandmothers? And sick dogs? Say it ain't so! :)

I should start a file of sob stories I have received, some have been kinda funny. Might make a good web site one day :)

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
obviously they are trying to snoop around and see who you are and infact acquire the domain for a few bucks if possible... if you have no use for the domain and dont mind getting rid of it you can easily make a few hundred bucks, if you had some other plans for it you should explain to them the value/potential of it which you have in mind, of course you can make a story up and try and get a few thousand bucks as well... if i was you i'd go for all or nothing, its a risk but surely it pays off now and then :)

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
smonline said:
Who knows? Think of Google's new gmail. How much is that domain worth now?

Yeah... hah... could be Google is the client and wants gmail, gseek, google, etc!

Ask for $1 Miieeeeeeellion dollars!

;)

-Wesley

p.s. on a serious note: I wouldn't let it go for $50 or even $200 as suggested earlier.
But, that's just me. Good luck!

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I reckon puravida has a good point -- could be a search engine outfit using the Google G*** model -- I'd hold out for bigger bucks -- you can always drop. On the other hand, if you go in low you can't up the ante. Best way forward is to not appear to be in a rush. I've got a similar thing going on one of my domains d-c.net and I have NO idea what thay want it for but I've been offered $600-ish for it. It's a constant dilemma. As a few of you will remember and I'll bring it up again as it's in context; I turned down $140,000 for wapmail.com in 1999 :(

smonline

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
puravida was just being a smart a** on my last post.

No, no meeeiillioonnn dollars... but how much you want to bet there's going
to outfits trying to capitalize on Google's gmail concept. IMHO gseek may very well fit into that category.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
smonline said:
puravida was just being a smart a** on my last post.

No, no meeeiillioonnn dollars... but how much you want to bet there's going
to outfits trying to capitalize on Google's gmail concept. IMHO gseek may very well fit into that category.

I wasn't being a smart a**

Do you have no since of humor? Read the p.s. on that post.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting!!
When i dealt with these guys the offer from them started at $5000.

Hopefully they will start you at $50k!

GL

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom