Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Afternic.com AKA: Namebuysell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most everyone who frequents here knows that the Afternic.com domain name was bought and is now being used by namebuysell.com as it's primary domain name. It appears there are quite a few differences from the old Afternic as was run by Register.com. Here's the summary (good & bad) for former afternic users as I see it:

• No data went with the domain name. profiles, lists, memberships, payments, etc. all have to be redone.
  • Sellers now pay all fees, the opposite of the old AN. This is probably better to attract buyers.
  • Minimum Fee is $60, minimum bid is $75. This will probably mean that small sales will not occur there due to minimums and that fact that a $75 sale nets the seller $15, which is not much over reg costs. So much for volume sales. I'd speculate that free sites, eBay, and this forum will likely do the bulk of under $150 sales. It includes escrow, but it's mandatory on all sales. I personally prefer escrow.com for both reliability, reputation, price, and as a 4th party separate from the listing site.
  • Seller registration is now $1.95 and buyer fee is $1.00. This would be helpful over the old AN since it recently cost almost $50 to become a new seller and I think buyer as well. This should help getting both by being affordable to "test the waters".
  • Names listed don't expire. Unlike the recent changes at the old AN, names listed stay listed (for now). The old afternic was expiring them making it troublesome to relist and resort every 30-60 days. Easier on sellers, but could result in bloated and outdated database like the AN of a year ago.
  • Some chance at shared income from parked domains, or at least reduced closing fees if your domain refers them. I am not that confident in the tracking of this since it's not a third party. If you don't park there, I don't think this will work.
  • The site is NOT the old AN interface or backend. Just an old name and logo plopped onto another website. Former users may be confused by the changes and somewhat less refined look & feel. Some who don't know, may even think it's a scam site or it was hijacked.

Overall, It may have a chance to be successful for names over $200, but probably not low end names since it's too pricey. The only thing going for the site is the recognized name and probable links and traffic. I think changes for the better are just about balanced with changes for the worse and the combined bad reputation the name earned lately.

Just one person's opinion.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameBuySell.com should be really grateful to adoptabledomains for going over the site thoroughly enough to write this review. (I for one have not yet taken the time to do so.) Thanks adoptabledomains.

>This will probably mean that small sales will not occur there due to minimums

Ever since GreatDomains.com imposed a US$125 minimum charge on their commissions of 15%, low-hundred sales (not to say those sub-hundreds) were basically weeded out. Frankly, what is the point of making a few dollars out of an ownership transfer? It doesn't make sense even as a seller.

By the way, those folks at Register.com may want to take a closer look at the operation of NameBargain.com (another of their subsidiaries) which is still sending customers to AfterNIC.com with their "Make Offer" links. Or is it part of their deal that there will be residual traffic for a while? :D

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As your alternatives to auction (sell) your domains, visit www.domainbid.BIZ site. FREE to lists your domains.

Cheers,
tw

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
As a side note, I would recommend that we keep a keen eye on the REGISTRARS' up-and-coming auction/transfer/escrow sites. There may be many, or some consolidation in the industry and so perhaps just several ... but, in my opinion, these will be coming!
Make no mistake about it ... even the "new" Afternic.com will have plenty of competition in the coming months! Just an observation. Good Luck.

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
nameslave, I agree! We are grateful. Adoptable, well said. Even our weaknesses are pointed out fairly. (We're working on those.) Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators