Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Afternic...disappointed

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me say this, I have not had a trade at afternic or paid much attention to them until recently. MANY years ago was a forum member and did a handful of trades with members but that was it.

So a few months back I join up and add a handful of names for sale, why not.

Today I get an email, inquiry asking for a price on BLANK.com, both bin and floor. The name is a great one, 18 years old, generic, one word and good traffic daily. I know values but to ease your mind lol

I call the sales team directly to discuss and this is what follows.

Hi this is BLANK how can I help you.
Hi, I am calling because of an inquiry and wanted to discuss the bin and floor price.
Ok, what is the name and your username?
I tell him and mention my bin.
Oh no, that is way too much, that will never go for that!
I reply "what" really, you know I have sold 15 similar (said category) names for between $50k-$$$,$$$ each they were ( and I list them off). This name is at the top.
Oh, well good luck but I doubt it.
Ok thanks but here again is why you are wrong ( I list age, traffic, uses etc), and say bye.

I swear the time he was on the phone was 30-45 seconds before saying "it will never go for that". He did not know the age, the end user potential, traffic stats or comparables. I was saddened that it appeared his only goal before taking a breath was getting me down to make a trade. I understand sales, I have been in real estate for 14 years on top of the domaining but what a turn off it was. And they want 15% LOL

At least I can say Frank's DNS brokers WORK for you, I see it but this shows how different your rep's can be and how it can hurt you if weak.

Domain summit 2024

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't expect sales people know how to sell.
I got that email very often (request the price to set floor/Bin pricing). I only sold may be 2 out of 10 requests.
They call them sales people but they are actually just Customer Service.

Relax
Enjoy
Repeat

Last edited:

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, "price request" come in a lot at Afternic, going to have to get use to it if you're listing there. Much like the old $60 offers on Sedo all day. Few if any will result in a sale and the "sales team" will just tell you to set a floor, etc.. and call back in a few days to check the status or whatever.

Good luck though...

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have sold names through Afternic, but honestly I wonder if I would have sold them directly or through another venue anyway. Their fee is high and I don't feel like the salespeople are doing me any favors. I would much rather have people contact me by email or through my landing pages, and honestly I probably give people better deals on names that do so because I save on commissions. I am seriously considering just deleting my Afternic account all together.

Does anyone remember the old Afternic marketplace site? I used to love looking for names there, and that was actually where I made my biggest sale ever. It seems like their website has gone down hill and they now just try to sell the names through Registrars in their network.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Strange timing, I had a great experience just today - then again I was the buyer :D

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Over the past couple of years, I have had some very good sales with Afternic.

I have asked them to please quit contacting me for all these pricing options. At least once or twice a month I get emails regarding floor price, bin price, this price and that price.

Each domain listed is listed with a minimum offer set. I essentially told them that if they have had an inquiry but that inquiry was not at least the minimum offer, then please do not ask for a BIN. There is no point in defining all these options if there was never a real offer. To me, most are just tire kickers. Especially the floor price. Setting a floor price is, to me, pretty much the minimum offer.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had some good experiences with them in the past although this would've been at least a few years ago through offers that came in through their domain brokerage arm. They were solid sales amounts and didn't argue with the prices quoted.. in one case the opening offer was the actual price I was willing to accept as the salesperson did their research ahead of time, finding an old sales thread with appraised price and quote on it. No experience actually listing to sell on their site though which is what it sounds like your experience was. In either case, flatly saying that it won't sell for xx,xxx quoted without knowing all the facts is quite short-sighted and very premature. Its possible that the "sales" person is either new and uninformed with properly valuing domains, or just hasn't seen big enough sales yet to make that number seem realistic to them. Or, it could just be a traffic name that without supporting stats would appear to have much less value. Either way, no sales person should jump to such conclusions without first looking at all the relevant data.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have just sold a name through them. They contacted me with an offer. I declined gave my price and it was accepted.
Now it says (in my control panel) buyer has paid and I am to transfer the name to them and that instructions will be forthcoming. That was yesterday.
I have tried calling but get the "you are important" blerb and nothing after on hold for 35 minutes. I just want to make sure I am not missing a step anywhere as this is my first dealing with them....wait and see I guess.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forgot about this thread but thought I should follow up....all went as I was told it would. Funds rec'd with a 5 day delay after all approvals done

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators