Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

developed AIMSource.com - Steady Growing Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

mccollin

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
impulse said:
It was hacked a few hours after I bought it. I had not even been given all the login info for the site (like the ssh login) at that point. Anyhow, you can close this thread.

- Eric
http://www.aimsource.com

This should be a lesson to anyone buying a site that you need to make sure you have a fair transition plan. I never give all the money to the buyer until I have been given control of the site and had an opportunity to check everything out. This exact same thing happened to me on a forum that I bought several months ago. I HAD been given admin rights to vBulletin and had started working in the forum. My payment plan was to pay half upfront, and give the rest after the domain had been pushed, and the control panel login info had been provided, so that I could backup the site and move it. The domain was pushed, and the control panel login info never came. The next day, the site disappeared, never to be seen again. I was told that the server had lost a drive or something... who knows. They did not have a backup of anything, and it would have been impossible for me to have made a backup, since I had no control panel access yet. I immediately requested a refund from the seller, which I received.

I can't believe the seller would hold the buyer responsible when no control panel access had been provided... you couldn't have backed it up yet. Passing of the control panel login is really when the site changes hands in my book. Plus, it was the seller's lack of good security measures which caused this to happen. If I were the buyer, I'd be wanting my money back on this one.... given the way this has been described.

As for not being able to backup a database, that's just not correct. How would the site have been moved? I bought, and then resold a multi-forum site where the database was several gigabytes in size. It took a long time, but it was backed up and moved. Not backing up a forum is really asking for trouble, since as was previously stated... the database is pretty much ALL the value of a forum site. And, I've seen this happen to quite a few of them over the years.

I hope everything works out here for both of you... the real bad guys seem to have come out on top with the other site. :-(

thomor25

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bull, it isn't nonsense, its business practice. I'm the one that sold the multi forums site to him and it was 6gb of sql data, yes 6gb and we were able to transfer ti fine. Obviously you didn't care enough about your site to make the effort for your sake and the buyers.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
taking the blame off of yourself just because it was officially sold to him the day before does not cut it. You didn't have backups etc. Saying that you shouldn't be responsible and this whole thread shows everyone on DNForum your reputation for future business dealings.

phrone

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When it's locked - you can still read it right? You just can't reply. I assume that you all know that I am much younger than the rest of you, and yes it's practice. Here's what I got out of this: My partner told me that he had a backup and did not know how to use it, so he would send it to the buyer. Did he send it? I don't know. I offered to take care of it and he said that he has it under control.

I guess this thread has ruined my reputation here when most of you don't know the whole situation. Judge how and who you want, but don't continue to cry and complain when Eric should be complaining if anyone.

mccollin

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
phrone,

Age is not really an acceptable excuse. If you truely are younger and care about your reputation, then your response to posts like mine above would have not have been, "that is nonsense", but rather, "cool, thanks for the advice... I learned a lot from this and will do things different next time... and find out how to do backups". I would think you would work something out that is fair with the buyer. Your attitude is that this is not your fault, or your problem.

I don't know the details, so I'm just posting based on what you and the buyer have said in public. You appear to have owned the site and sold it to him. You have admitted several times that you didn't take the proper precautions to secure the site, or back it up properly. What your partner did or didn't do is not relevant... since you have represented yourself as the owner... you were responsible. As a tip for the future, if you've never tested your backup, then you don't really have a backup. Whether he is complaining or not, I don't know... but I think that other people are interested in the outcome so they can determine whether they'd want to do business with you. Many dnforum members buy and sell sites on a regular basis, and track record is extremely important.

Your age has nothing to do with this. Either you deal with this the right way, or you don't. A 15 year old could do the right thing, and a 40 year old could do the wrong thing and cheat someone... we are talking about integrity, not age. I expect that there are many younger dnforum members that would be offended that you would use age as an excuse... because it then stereotypically affects their credibility in a negative way.

phrone

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do know how to do a backup, my partner told me he had a backup and had it under control.

I think this thread is being carried on just to ruin my reputation and I'd like it to stop as I'd like to stay here, and possibly make a few more sales in the future.

"I expect that there are many younger dnforum members that would be offended that you would use age as an excuse... because it then stereotypically affects their credibility in a negative way." You say that like the younger members in the domain business don't get a second look from the more expierenced members.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No one here is ruining your reputation but you. You keep trying to defend the problem instead of working to correct it.

Alexander

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Half of you who are posting don't even know half of the story. Please, if you don't know 100% of the story, then just shut up. I backed up the site every other day. My host uses Ensim Cpanel, so its more complicated then using regular Cpanel.

Secondly, I gave him Cpanel access. He had access to every single login and the domain was pushed into his account, THEN he sent me the money. So don't be saying that he didn't have the login info. ALSO I uploaded recent backups to the ftp server. I tried to install the backups. I couldn't do it, so I asked a couple friends, and they couldn't either. I know that I have some responsibility to try to restore the site. So please, shut up because you don't know whats going on.

impulse

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, the sellers did do everything they could to get the site working again, and I did have full control over it. It was "hacked" a few hours after I bought it. It was just a bad situation, but not really the sellers fault. It is just too bad their backup did not work. I woould buy from them again if they had another site for sale.

- Eric
Bored.com

phrone

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
impulse said:
Yes, the sellers did do everything they could to get the site working again, and I did have full control over it. It was "hacked" a few hours after I bought it. It was just a bad situation, but not really the sellers fault. It is just too bad their backup did not work. I woould buy from them again if they had another site for sale.

- Eric
Bored.com

Thank you Eric.

Can we lock it now since the buyer, the one who lost the site knows the truth and you all are just posting to criticize me / us.

2,981 views and 155 posts later and you might understand that we did what we could

samscripts

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you've probably already tried this, but just in case you haven't, have you seen if its possible to extract the mysql tables or data (containing all the previous forum posts, etc) from the backup file and reinstalled that separately (rather than using the cpanel restore function)?

I don't know about ensim backup, but iirc a cpanel site backup contains .sql files containing dumps of the database you can extract using winzip.

Sorry if you've already tried this, thought I'd mention it just in case.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators