Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Am I on the right track? all feedback appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

astonworth

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Having been reading on and off in this forum for the past week or so I've managed to pick up quite a bit of information that means I'm way ahead of where I was at a while back. I don't expect to be a domain god in two weeks but I'm trying to really make a go of this and want to make sure I'm doing things right...

I spent a lot of time yesterday (all night in fact I haven't been to sleep!) searching for domains and when I finally found ones that were available (.com) I asked myself a couple of times is it 'that marketable' the answer was usually no... One of them was a one word domain ending in the present continuous tense 'ly' and from reading in other posts here, I learnt that those are not very good. I did some keyword analysis using googles keyword tool and found that they had hardly no search traffic (like a couple of hundred a month) I then tried things from a different angle and instead of thinking of words first and then seeing how good the traffic was, I tried to think of some fairly 'nichey' terms to put into google keywords and then looked for words with high search traffic frequency.

Anyway the end result is I now have a two word domain in mind, although I have no idea what it means! I started with a root niche word and branched out, but one of the words isn't english and I'm not sure what it means!

Tests I've done that I've picked up from dnforum...

1. I search google for the two words using the format "word1 word2 (with the first speech mark, which I think searches for the exact phrase) and google returned just over 4,000 results.

2. This two word phrase has 20,000 approx search volume for January in the google keyword tool. The average monthly search volume is exactly the same, does that mean that google doesn't have data from previous months? If so, I'm guessing that this means the keywords are just starting to take off, is that the right way of looking at this?

Also and I think this makes a difference if I change the search mode from 'broad' to 'exact' it still shows 20,000 searches per month. I've noticed that some domains that I've read about on here, when I use the tool under broad they return far more results than when set to exact.

the .com with those two words in is currently available and my question is based on the above would this qualify as an ok candidate to add to my early portfolio?

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited:
Domain Summit 2024

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would suggest not to register a domain unless you know what it means, and why it may be valuable.

To answer your questions:
1. You should include quote marks before and after the search term
2. Google search volume may return results for a term in opposite order, ex. you will get the same search results for "debit cards" and "cards debit". Make sure your phrase is in the correct order. Also it is probably a good idea to use exact match.

astonworth

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So the lesson I've learnt here then is 20k monthly search frequency doesn't automatically = register the .com. Thanks thevirtual I held off awaiting feedback and am pleased I did now.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So the lesson I've learnt here then is 20k monthly search frequency doesn't automatically = register the .com. Thanks thevirtual I held off awaiting feedback and am pleased I did now.

Hi

what is the purpose for researching those terms?

are you seeking a domain for development or hopefully to resell?

i think if you're looking to "register to resell", then focus more on "why" someone would want to buy it from you.

if you're looking to buy and park it, hoping to get some traffic and revenue, then consider why people would type-in that term and how commercial the term/terms are.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think if you're looking to "register to resell", then focus more on "why" someone would want to buy it from you.

if you're looking to buy and park it, hoping to get some traffic and revenue, then consider why people would type-in that term and how commercial the term/terms are.
Agreed. I would even say: assume your domains are not going to sell, so only register domains that you are willing to develop :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

Agree with this assessment and line of thinking.

It is like a girlfriend vs. being single

When you have a girlfriend all you can think of is

Great! Now I am stuck with her. Wonder how I can dump her?

Just substitute the word her with the domain name.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
astonworth said:
I spent a lot of time yesterday (all night in fact I haven't been to sleep!) searching for domains
Now you are a TRUE domainer.
Get a partner that knows a few things about domains, this will save you lots of money and time.
I registered a similar name, it was the first name I ever hand regged.
DonationCharity.com
It had mad search results, and an overture score, that's a story for another time.
anyway, the name does not get much traffic or revenue parked, which was my goal for it, but it does make enough to renew every year.
you are on the right track, just be willing to invest and lose a few $$ before you get things figured out.
Like others have said above, remember to put your search term(s) between these: ""

astonworth

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks I really appreciate this feedback I'd be lost with out it thankyou!

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

Exactly - it depends entirely on your goal with the domain. I do quite well with multi word names when developed, just making a small profit off most on a month to month basis. But then again, I have my own servers & T1's. I can put as many names online as I want with no additional cost. If you need to pay someone to host it, it could be a losing proposition.

To try flipping a multi word name, especially in the current market, could be difficult, depending on the name.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
copper said:
It's very easy to lose $x,xxx - $xx,xxx real fast, real easy.

not hand registering names.
only with secondary market purchases can you to lose money like that.
anyone remember flowers.mobi ?

bizopsg

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks all of you for your views here I am also new and facing the same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom