Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anatomy/Timing of a Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have another question for anyone interested in answering. I'm guessing some of these questions end up treading in the realm of semi-proprietary information, but I'll press on. Would anyone care to share some domain drop stat information with me? What I'm looking for is something like this:

Say I have a domain name called MYCOOLDOMAIN.COM that is dropping (or has dropped). Do you have access to the following dates? This is easiest if you had a Snap on a name, and if you took "snapshots" of the Whois record as it progressed.
DOMAIN NAME: MYCOOLDOMAIN.COM
REGISTRAR: DIRECTNIC
CREATIONDATE: 12-21-97
EXPIREDATE: 12-20-2002
REGISTRAR-HOLD_UPDATE: 12-21-2002
REDEMPTIONPERIOD_UPDATE: 01-30-2003
PENDINGDELETE_UPDATE: 03-02-2003
DROP: ? ( Estimated: 03-08-2003 )

This is the profile on a domain I have that hasn't dropped yet. It's drop cycle has taken about 42 days with the registrar DirectNic. It appears as if DirectNic put it on Registrar-Hold 1 day after it expired (quick action!) Anyone else have the numbers on any of their drops? I'd like to get a practical look at some of the numbers. If you prefer, PM me privately (otherwise, please post here). Also, no need to mention the actual NAME itself either (though the extension would certainly help).

Note: The "update" dates are all formulated by taking the "last updated" date in the record from the time the new status appeared.

Thanks,
~ Nexus

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Try www.duetoexpire.com and enter the domain name(s) into the demo. It seems the "drop" dates is not an exact science, but my script will give you an approx. date.

Enjoy!

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's nice, Think. I was thinking about doing something similar at some point. Good job! It would be a nice addition if you put "adjusted" dates in there if the current status of a domain is "Pending Delete".

Best,
~ Nexus

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, catcher. Good info. I guess I'm not looking to gain much by "sweating", I'm interested in the data though, just for perfunctory analysis. We have basic overviews that give us ranges, but I'm wondering about the bland un-scientific statistics that let me know what random samplings of domain records from different registrars give back. The *real* samples and not the generic anecdotes and rules that I've heard a few times.

The was a reporter that decided to take a Nigerian loan scammer to task, by responding to his e-mail and leading him around for a few weeks with questions and prodding, just to see what the anatomy of this scam was like using a live scam-artist as a test. Many people (though sadly not *everyone*) knows about the Nigerian e-mail/loan scam, but it was still very edifying to read someone step through the process of being scammed, short of actually sending the guy his bank account details (though pretending he did, asking if the fax or mail had been recieved).

While not something to "sweat" over I agree, its still interesting to read about detail-wise. I think however, that most people will not have this info in that much detail, so I'm thinking I'm probably out of luck.

Thanks again though.

~ Nexus

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi, Nexus.

Do you know where I can find the article on that reporter?

I've heard about the scam many times before, but haven't heard that reporter's story. Sounds very interesting! :D

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yesterday, I get the name at around 2 pm and it's 6 days afrer pendingdelete update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom