Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed AndroidOS.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedwell

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
AndroidOS.com

I registered this over 4 years with a view to creating a portal for my Android OS apps. Focus changed to iOS app development and I finally accepted I'll never get around to using it. The arrival of a beautiful new daughter a few months ago didn't make it any more likely to get worked on either :)

I've had a bunch of people express interest and some made offers but given how big Android OS is now, and will be in the future, it seems like this should be worth quite a lot.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Domain summit 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sold Android dot org many years ago. Android is now a trademark, so not sure how a trademark plus the term related to the class of the mark would be immune from litigation.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beyond any potential TM concerns, its a great name if it can stand on its own two feet and not be taken down by someone with a TM.

The site potential featuring android products and new releases is enormous.

Still...concerns about a TM is going to scare many away. No one wants to have to turn over or surrender a name after they have paid for it.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

The arrival of a beautiful new daughter a few months ago didn't make it any more likely to get worked on either :)
Just from this statement it is clear to see where your priorities are.

Congratulations!

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had a bunch of people express interest and some made offers but given how big Android OS is now, and will be in the future, it seems like this should be worth quite a lot.

Any thoughts?

I can't see how anyone other than Google would have any rights to the domain name. Android OS is a worldwide famous brand and they will come knocking eventually. If you get offers, seriously consider taking them.

svfox

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No its unsellable. Anyone you sell it to can come back and sue you.
Yes Google will come knocking one day with their lawyers and I advise you to give it up.
The only hope is if you somehow had it before they trademarked android and you don't have any ads on it.

Last edited:

yanhuang

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No its unsellable. Anyone you sell it to can come back and sue you.
Yes Google will come knocking one day with their lawyers and I advise you to give it up.
The only hope is if you somehow had it before they trademarked android and you don't have any ads on it.

Would you recommend him just throw up a parked page until Google comes knocking? Or will he get in trouble for earning money from that too?

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Drop the name, you would be stupid to sell a TM name, its just asking for trouble

Android was also developed in 2005, so it could be seen as a "bad faith" registration, as the OS was already developed before you registered the name

svfox

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If he regged it to just make money off the trademark then drop it. The judge would look hard at why he regg'ed it and what he did with it. Parking it isthe worst thing he could do.
If you have a site that can't be described in any other way because you want the consumers to know directly what you do. Like say AlabamaFordCars thent he judge is going to see if you are selling Ford cars. If you pass all the requirements the judge can and probably will rule based on consumer interests the domain is fairly used.
Why do you think lawyers take screenshots immediately. If he regg'ed it in bad faith just drop it.

speedwell

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone and apologies for the late reply. Having some medical issues with my daughter to deal with :(

I did intend for it to be a good faith site - just my AndroidOS apps that I wrote and perhaps others too.

If Google wants to take it, they only have to ask - I'd be happy to comply if they feel their trademarks are being infringed and of course, I have no interest in a legal fight for it.

I'll go ahead and contact their legal department and explain my position - if they let me keep it, I'll post back here.

Thanks all.

clown

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i disagree, dont drop the name. I would take the first 2 grand that came along for it.

clown

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
go put it up for sale here and dnf, also try flippa

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators