• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Another scam (or not) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought of a thousand different examples to illustrate the point that this guys' statement makes no sense.
 
stop wasting your time
 
I got two emails from this person and it smelt fishy so I'm happy I found this thread.
 
best way to deal with this scam is to tell them if there that intrested in the domain to get appraisal and u will knock the price of the appraisal off the final selling price. 99 times out of a 100 u will not hear from them again. However if they come back with they are not willing to pay for an appraisal due to the fact you might not sell. Turn it around and say they might not buy the name and u wont hear from them again.
 
Got one and deleted it.
 
im sooo glad i did some reserach on this before i fell for it.
here is an email i received.


"Michael Spillman" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book
To: [email protected] (removed to prevent "more" spam)
Subject: agoodspanking.net (sent 08/28/04)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 21:04:49 +0000 (UTC)



Hi,

I saw your domain listed for sale.

Is it still available for sale? Have you received any bids from other
buyers?

If it's still available for sale please email me your asking price.

If you have other good domains for sale feel free to email me the full
list with asking prices.

If I can afford your domain I will contact you. Please don't send me
multiple emails if you don't receive a reply from me and keep my email
address confidential.
Just email me your asking price. If I decide to buy I will contact you
as soon as possible.

I run a software development company. We provide custom software
development in Linux, Windows XP, MS Access, MS SQL, PHP and Delphi for our
clients in USA, Hong Kong, UK and Switzerland. Selling & buying names is
not my main business. Just another way to invest free money and make
some income.

Kindest regards,

Michael Spillman

CEO

MCSE, MCSD



and here is the body our exchange:

1000. Ok.

Do you sell a developed site or just domain name? We are mostly
interested
in domains without web content.

We need an appraisal for domains priced in your range.

Our partners (webmasters and domain owners) always recommend us to
verify an
independent appraisal first. It would be fair for both of us.

Do you have an appraisal certificate for your name? Please note that we
don't trust free or unprofessional appraisals. It can be an appraisal
certificate from www.FastDomainSales.com or www.GreatDomains.com or
www.HollywoodDomains.com. It does not matter because they were
recommended
to me by experienced experts.

Moreover,I have not found your names listed on those sites, so they are
really independent.


After we receive your appraisal we'll continue negotiations.

How do you prefer to get paid: PayPal, check or wire?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Michael Spillman

CEO

MCSE, MCSD
----- Original Message -----
From: [email protected] (removed to prevent "more" spam)
To: "Michael Spillman" <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2004 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: agoodspanking.net (sent 08/28/04)


> Hello,
>
> I am asking 1000 US OBO. note that this price is
> negotiable.
>
>
>
> i will only sell to US buyers and i will only accept
> money order or you may purchase the domain via
> SEDO.COM.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Omar
>



after reading this post i just sent a mail saying:

never mind.

no thanks


at first i felt like flaming him and how clever he wasnt buy using the same text email as the rest of the scammers do. he could have at least took the time to write his own version. its like the nigerian bank tranfer scam. you get an email on monday from king notumo mobutu saying he needs your help. then you get an email from ammbassator narime kalcata on tuesday with the same text cept' the names are swaped out.

i decided not to toy with this guy. who knows i could have pissed hime off and he add my name to some spams lists or hijacks one of my domains....

needless to say thanks Packrat for starting this post and to all those who responded. you guy have just prvented another scam.

thanks!

Omar
 
Thanks for that info, I will keep a look out
 
I also have received the M Spillman one also from [email protected]. I delete them without responding. I'm sure I've seen toughguy.net used on this scam a few months ago. Since they use the same text, but different emails addys, we might want to make is easy for future seekers to find this thread.

If DN members paste the names and email addresses they've received this SCAM from, future seekers might find it. Right now this thread can be found with searches for Spillman or Miller.

Anyway, just a thought. I like it when hoaxes and scams are stopped quickly before someone gets taken.
 
heh, same again ;) This time his name is Micheal Murphy :D

watch out!
 
I just got one from Michael Murphy too.

But what's the scam? Does he work for an appraisal company and make money when we rush off to pay for an appraisal?

Can anyone who's taken it a step farther let us know what happens?

pdkpl said:
heh, same again ;) This time his name is Micheal Murphy :D

watch out!

Here was my reply:

You should get an independent appraisal yourself if you want to establish the value.

Try here:

http://www.sedo.us/appraisal.php3?partnerid=xxxx

(Affiliate link removed for Forum purposes)
 
my guess is that he is trying to promote some of his appraisal sites, and or affiliated appraisal sites.
the strange thing is he laso suggests greadomains, which I seriously doubt he knows.
 
Yes - this guy is associated with two of the three that he mentions, and greatdomains.com doesn't do appraisals - sneaky.

Here is the invalid WHOIS information for one of the sites:

Registrant:
Inc, Eleview International (ALLFORDOMAINS-DOM)
Eleview International Inc
7426 Alban Station Blvd., Suite B-208
Springfield, VA 22150
US

Domain Name: ALLFORDOMAINS.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Inc, Eleview International (VXO40) [email protected]
Eleview International Inc
7426 Alban Station Blvd., Suite B-208
Springfield, VA 22150
US
703-934-7265 fax: 123 123 1234

Record expires on 28-Nov-2004.
Record created on 28-Nov-2000.
Database last updated on 6-Nov-2004 21:40:14 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS5.ALLFORDOMAINS.COM 212.23.76.201
NS3.ALLFORDOMAINS.COM 206.161.124.226


Here is the info for the other one:

Registrant:
Inc, Eleview International (FASTDOMAINSALES-DOM)
Eleview International Inc
7426 Alban Station Blvd., Suite B-208
Springfield, VA 22150
US

Domain Name: FASTDOMAINSALES.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Inc, Eleview International (VXO40) [email protected]
Eleview International Inc
7426 Alban Station Blvd., Suite B-208
Springfield, VA 22150
US
703-934-7265 fax: 123 123 1234

Record expires on 24-May-2005.
Record created on 24-May-2001.
Database last updated on 6-Nov-2004 21:58:49 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS3.FASTDOMAINSALES.COM 212.23.76.201
NS4.FASTDOMAINSALES.COM 206.161.124.226


seeker said:
my guess is that he is trying to promote some of his appraisal sites, and or affiliated appraisal sites.
the strange thing is he laso suggests greadomains, which I seriously doubt he knows.
 
Got one of these emails today, signed by 'Michael Murphy'. Good thing I read this thread some days ago. :laugh:
 
So what happens when you actually do an appraisal for him. anyone done that?
 
do you mean if anyone volunteered to pay him and get scammed???

I doubt it :-)
 
Got the same mail from john Martin today for one of my domains. Just searched here to see if the guy is from DNF and i found this thread. Good
 
thats the good think about this community and the search function!!!

dont you love it. We can beat the scammers at their own game
 
I did that - offered for $50, no answer.

Nodnarb said:
Post his email address. I'm sure we can get him some domain names! (Just kidding!)

Maybe you should respond to him with a low price just to see if you get a response. Like $10 and see if you can get a response that way. You can always say you left off a couple of zero's... :)
 
lol .. surprized .. no answer
 
Heh, I just got this yesterday form "George Bergman" email: [email protected]
exact same email as the first post in this thread, spamming for, now I cannot prove this nor do I wish to disparage a legit company: FastDomainSales.com
I told him to get an appraisal form someone HE trusted and I would deduct the appraisal price from the sale price. soo,,,, we will see,,,hahah, almost got me!
Thanks guys!
Charles
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom