Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anybody selling many domains, no matter what the price???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotDealers

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Resellers,

Is anybody selling many domains and if so, at what price range? As for us... the end of last year was really crappy, but January was a great month, February was pretty slow, but March picked up again.

One of the keys to our recent success is our "Make an Offer" attitude. Before we just had a set price and really did not accept anything lower. With the decline of the dotcom industry, we had to change our business strategy. Now we have a "Make an Offer" link on our site with a minimum $25 bid. Fortunately, out of the many offers, we have only received four $25 offers... most were over $100, which isn't great, but it is still a pretty high profit margin.

Most domains we try to get at least a couple hundred bucks for (some a lot more), but we still have a bunch that we would sell in the $25 price range just to lower our inventory.

Has anyone had any success with direct marketing? We have tried sending some direct emails to people that we think would benefit from our domains, but have not had any success at all with it. Most of our sales come from direct links from our domains to our website (people just typing in a domain).

We have also listed many domains on Afternic and GreatDomains. We have sold several domains at Afternic, but not one at GreatDomains. The only part I don't like about Afternic is the amount of time it takes to get paid. If you sell it yourself, you get the money right away, plus you save the buyer at least $50 in broker fees. Also, they have grown so big, it is almost impossible to get your domains seen anymore.

Okay... I better quit going on and on... I am just wondering how your businesses are doing and what marketing techniques do you find most successful?

Thanks,

Doug Dillard

Domain summit 2024

We are selling 3-5 domains a month right now, with prices typically between $2k and $10k. This is down a little on a year or so ago. We get about 10-15 unsolicited enquiries a day to purchase domains from us.

The buyers tend to contact us using the email link on our sites and the buyers are usually end users rather than resellers.

We've tried contacting people directly in the past and that has worked well on some domains but not others.

It all boils down to whether the domains have a mass appeal and are such that companies with reasonable budgets see a marked benefit in operating with the domain. Factors like the domain being the root of their company name (e.g. apple.com being the root of Apple Computer, Inc) or being one of the most desirable domains for their industry obviously impact this.

J

jimb

I can see alot of people who have these 4-letter domains, which mean nothing, will give them for $20 or less. I mean, I see alot of people who will just purchase huge amounts of these for like $6.00/domain and then sell them for $15. Its crazy, but I guess some people need to make a living :)

Jim

Originally posted by jimb
I can see alot of people who have these 4-letter domains, which mean nothing, will give them for $20 or less. I mean, I see alot of people who will just purchase huge amounts of these for like $6.00/domain and then sell them for $15. Its crazy, but I guess some people need to make a living :)

Jim

Yeah, the whole 4 letter thing got out of hand when a single person/company registered pretty much ever remaining 4 letter combo - this led to people believing that they MUST be worth alot.

This was a result of the same thing happening with 3 letter domains, all 17,576 were registered and its true some have sold well others are pretty useless (I have about 30 or so 3 letter domains left that generate very little end user interest or traffic).

People will reg all kinds of things and jump on trends - without really thinking about end users and how or if they would want to use them.

DotDealers

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey safesys,

Do you have a website where you list your domains? I would really like to see what you have to offer.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

I don't have a list as we sell mainly to end users who already know that they want a domain name we own either from the whois or from the link on the website itself.

The main sellers tend to be the 2 worders moreso than the single word domains.

I have a handful of 4-letter domains that are pronouncable at least and sold one for $500.

Other than that, I'm busy selling off what I've acquired and doing some buying if the name rings right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators