Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed appraisal formula - opinions please

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attilio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like to play with numbers.

Let's say SEX.com value is $3M (just a supposition)

On this base I calculated the following appraisal applying a "secret formula":

business.com 960k
health.com 1.85M
home.com 2.4M
media.com 75k
homefinance.com 126k
onlineartgallery 6.5k (I own this)

now what I would thank you tell me is not if each one of the above appraisal is good but if the values' proportions looks real or not.
In example business.com value is 1/3 of sex.com, is that a good estimation?
and what about other proportions?

Thanks,

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Attilio,

I think that .. SEX.COM

May be worth a few bucks more.

:)

...and i heard a rumour that business.com might have sold for slightly more than $960k.

Personally, I don't think appraisals can be done by "formula" except for traffic value only domains.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
...and i heard a rumour that business.com might have sold for slightly more than $960k.

Personally, I don't think appraisals can be done by "formula" except for traffic value only domains.

How would you appraise a domain then, if not by some formula relating to expected traffic inherently attributable to the domain itself. If we are talking brandable names, surely, other considerations (trademark availability, etc.) would make buying the domain first a short of reverse procedure ...

How about a formula with respect to traffic only names?

Most domains I've sold had nothing at all to do with traffic - the sales were based on vanity or descriptiveness for their marketing and as such the valuations were very subjective.

I don't sell based on traffic - but assuming I was then it would depend on the type of traffic attracted ( finance/gambling would outweigh freebies/mp3 traffic unit for unit) and the volumes.

Attilio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback but evidently I have not well explained my idea.

I agree that a formula o calculate exact appraisal of any domain does not and will never exists and I am the first one in believe that traffic/type-in/searches/etc.. are only few aspects of the value of a name (and in no few cases secondary aspects).

Made that clear I also think that working on numeric factors it could be possible to find out something like a standard index which could be used as part of the appraisal process and/or that could give a rough (very rough probably) idea of where a value of a name stands in comparison with other names.

I agree that on the examples I provided the absolute value of each single domain has not great meaning (though in my modest opinion the actual value of business.com is closer to 960k than to the 10M someone paid for it when all were, maybe, too much optimist about domain's value).

What I was asking is if, in your opinion, the value of each domain in relation with the others listed make sense or not.
That is, we could better ignore absolute values and simply say that SEX.COM value is X, in this case would be, in example, X/3 a reasonable appraisal for business.com?
Or 5/6X a realistic estimation for home.com?

Well, I should better play with my sons more than with numbers :)

BTW. according to my formula jobs.com value was over 2M, so the buyer saved almost 1.2M :)

Saludos,

I agree with safesys; most of the domains I have sold to end users directly were descriptive 1 or 2 word domains with no traffic. They were creative names.

domains are like art, and would you try and value a painting using a formula?

Maybe if you know of sales prices for similar domains you could, such as two/three letter names, or if the domain has traffic, you could use some kind of model. But other than that its all guess work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators