Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Are Canadian Businesses "Getting It"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ian...that is very interesting....

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ian. Nice to see the direction being moved in.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Provider
I am buying today one .ca domain name for $8.5k just for my EGO

Is it mine? :dance:

I have no idea from who I bought. This is the first time I was buying from
the guy that was hiding and didn't want to reveal his identity. I got the
name now, so my ego is happy. At the same time my wallet is not vey
happy

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh my!!! You actually got a good price on that one.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Ian...I will paste it here for those who might miss it..

hopefully folks return to the bottom of page 1 to see the CIRA response

I do have an update on CIRA
--------------------------------
Ian,

I apologize for the delay in replying. Paul had forwarded your concerns earlier in December and I forgot to follow up.

We are currently finalizing plans for our Millionth Domain name registration event. There will be a significant push to involve the media through PR and advertising in order to expose the event, and by extension, the dot-ca brand, to a broad cross section of the Canadian public. We will also be allowing CIRA registrars, registrants, and Members to participate through other means.

In terms of specifics, as plans are not yet finalized, I am not at liberty to say. However, I can address one of your questions at this point. We will not be concentrating on the specific millionth registration but rather on surpassing the 1,000,000 domain milestone. Due to the way the registry operates we have no way of know exactly which domain will be the millionth active registration. Secondly, the system would be easy to game in order to become the millionth domain. That said, we are planning on profiling dot-ca domain holders and their domains as part of the celebration - details on how to participate will be released in January.

Finally, CIRA will be making a more concerted marketing push through 2008 and beyond so you will be seeing more promotion of dot-ca to Canadians. Stay tuned.

Best regards,

David Hicks

Director of Marketing and Communications
CIRA

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

ianccc

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We are asleep - see my earlier post
http://www.dnforum.com/f510/ca-pump-_n_dump-thread-263599.html

Collectively as a group (Aftermarket_CA) we need to create an online engine that we control that is marketed to the general public to increase awareness of the CA brand.
We will equally benefit in this!

Someone should start a thread about our new association – I even have a TAGLINE

“Your Country, Stake your Claim“

Or better yet

“CA, not just for California“
“Arnold doesn’t work here“

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just thought of something, why not put a link on all our developped .ca domains that says something like "Why use a .ca domain?", or "Canadians prefer .ca domains!". Have the link go to a page explaining all the benefits of using a .ca, examples of sales, examples of actual .ca sites, etc. Someone could come up with a template info article, and we could all use it, or write something up on our own. Right away all the traffic coming to our .ca's would be potential visitors to this page. People could do up their own page or forward to someone else's site. It's a start anyway, I may set something up this weekend. The page can be updated over time when something happens in the .ca market, like when we pass one million, etc. Not the same as a press release, but you could put a link to the site anywhere if you think people are interested.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just thought of something, why not put a link on all our developped .ca domains that says something like "Why use a .ca domain?", or "Canadians prefer .ca domains!". Have the link go to a page explaining all the benefits of using a .ca, examples of sales, examples of actual .ca sites, etc. Someone could come up with a template info article, and we could all use it, or write something up on our own. Right away all the traffic coming to our .ca's would be potential visitors to this page. People could do up their own page or forward to someone else's site. It's a start anyway, I may set something up this weekend. The page can be updated over time when something happens in the .ca market, like when we pass one million, etc. Not the same as a press release, but you could put a link to the site anywhere if you think people are interested.

Wonderful idea except I think most of us are PPC parkers and that isn't allowed. Although at the rate PPC is going....:sigh2: development is looming on our horizon

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lots of talk on this issue but there was no concrete plan of action.

How about we open a dialogue with this marketing manager at CIRA and see if we can influence their future marketing efforts.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Opening it up is only good for resellers. For those that develop, or outside of our circles - the general public, such a development is a very bad thing.

Far too many of the best .ca's are parked. Opening it up wouldn't change that either imo, and may just make it more ingrained as large outside domain holders flood into the market, whose main m.o. is parking.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The first to snap them up if they were unrestricted would be the folks in California...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom