Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Are Canadian Businesses "Getting It"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I look at all the offers I get I can tell you that almost everyone of them over the last few years have come from speculators. I can only recall maybe 3 that came from businesses.

You keep seeing headlines such as Rick's IReport.com where CNN purchased the domain for $750,000 or sport.co.uk sale announced today which went for $270,000 approx.

http://www.mediacorpplc.com/press/default.aspx?y=2008&id=293

Fact is I FREQUENTLY see these announcements from all over the world. Companies buying premium domains that represent their industry.

But not Canada.

We're getting pretty good coverage these days from places like the forums and dnjournal recording sales but it seems there is little else that makes the "mainstream news"

It seems to me it's time to start releasing "news release" articles that point out the advantages to owning the premiums in your particular industry.

If you were going to do that where would you start. Do any of you have contacts etc or have you used a news release service before?

Other ideas?

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you on this. While some businesses (multi-national) get it that owning a generic domain relating to their business is important (Scott Paper owning tissue.ca), I feel that we are behind. I have contacted many businesses with good domains that could help their online presence only to be met with resistance. However, I think this is going to change over the next year or two. News releases would be a good start as I think "mainstream" society has no idea.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I look at the .ca general market awareness as lagging behind the .com market by about a couple years.

You see some big .com sales to business out there, but I would say there is still a lot of businesses in the world that still don't get it (Cowboys.com story for example). Only the last year or so have there been big reported .com sales to end users - like Vodka.com. Many big businesses already own .com generics, there are lists out there.

For now, companies in Canada seem to like using domains like: getsmartnow.ca or shopbigtoday.ca for their promotions. I see a lot of those type names in advertising, almost like a 'throw-away' domain you let expire after whatever promotion you're doing. They'd be better off with a generic they can use forever and build traffic on.

The bright side is many companies have their own name in .ca (lays.ca, ruffles.ca) and some even have generics (cheese.ca). Sometimes I think of starting a site that lists all .ca's used for companies and advertising that I see on tv, newspaper, etc. because I think it would be a long list.

I think we need to hear more sales like the Yellow Pages one a couple years back, where they bought a few hundred .ca domains to use for local search online. A single, generic sale to a company would be even better.

I also think most generic domains will go to top end users in the end. For example, if a big company that sells insurance doesn't own insurance.ca, then a competitor will take it and use it (actually just checked and a big company does own it). Or a domainer will develop it - and make the name more valuable. Businesses will eventually see this reality and be more inclined to get the generics of their area. Don't know if this can be forced, or if it's just a wait and see type thing.

For another example, I own SportsNews(.)ca. This domain will either get developped by me some day, sold to another domainer for a good price, or bought by an existing newspaper, online site or tv sports channel. If you have good generics hold onto them as long as you can.

Another thought, companies run the risk of letting generic domain holders become their competition. Take Travel.ca for instance. With some work it could easily become a top travel business in Canada from nothing, taking market share away from all the travel booking companies out there.

Domainers who own great generic .com's seem more interested in turning it into a business now than finding a buyer, because a domain with a business behind it is much more valuable - the inherent generic value of a name and type in traffic it gets makes the business succeed easier than using some 'brandable' type name. Looks at Banks.com, Insure.com, CreditCards.com, Unicycle.com

Instead of creating more awareness to business to get sales, maybe a better idea is to form some sort of domainer/developper team that can create a network of functional business sites on generic .ca domains.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well said. I especially like what you said about "throw away" promotional domains used for short term marketing. There are still plenty like that available for 10-12$ that companies use instead of buying an "expensive" generic. Easier on the budget.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read an article where a guy summed it all up nicely. I believe it was DNJournal, this is from memory, details not quite accurate but the idea is correct.

His company bought ads in gaming magazines for $10,000 each month, full page back cover -this is a typical price.

At the time they could have bought gaming.com for $1000.

They would have received as much or more bang for the buck buying gaming.com for $1000, than they would have received in 5 years of advertising paying out $600,000.

If you want to convince business, it's the money that talks.

The enemy is the advertising industry, which is not a small enemy. Without sounding conspiratorial, who needs the advertising dollars - the media.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good point, if a company is willing to spend 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars, maybe millions, on advertising campaigns, then what is a generic domain for their industry worth that will give them targetted type in traffic, and easy memory recollection in advertising, forever?

One example - the Dallas Cowboys probably spend tens of millions on player salaries every year, but wouldn't pay 275k for Cowboys.com. So what is Cowboys.com really worth? Maybe generic domains are still way undervalued, and this would include .ca

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont think Canadian business is getting it, and I am not sure it will get it any time soon.
I think the age of our extension, and unability to reserve names freely by anybody is
holding us back. we need to wait for new companies to come to the market. All these
old companies could register easily any .ca names before 2001 when the regisry was
closed to general public. These old companies changed their mind recently, and they
maybe regret not registering names back then, but still I am not sure they are ready
to pay that much money for quality domains.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They are getting it slowly - but a little coaxing never hurts...

Canadian businesses and businesses doing business (say that fast 10 times!) in Canada do use .ca more often than not. But with under 1 million total registrations and plenty of decent domains for them to still choose from it may be a while before the after market really heats up.

In dealing with these end-user targets it must be impressed upon them the value of good domain names and how they can not only bring instant traffic for no further money outlaw, but how they can also save money down the road on less marketing/branding costs etc - AND if they so choose, they can always sell the domain later themselves for a profit.

Majority of my cold calls have also come from other domainers, but a close second are provincial governments. I've closed one deal (ND of course) for a nice return but bargaining with them can be a royal pain in the arse!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The bright side is many companies have their own name in .ca (lays.ca, ruffles.ca) and some even have generics (cheese.ca). Sometimes I think of starting a site that lists all .ca's used for companies and advertising that I see on tv, newspaper, etc. because I think it would be a long list.

Watching the football games on Sunday I started to mark down all .ca domains advertised each commercial break. I stopped after 20. Subway, KIA, Ford, GM, Sony, Virgin, starbucks etc etc etc.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One example - the Dallas Cowboys probably spend tens of millions on player salaries every year, but wouldn't pay 275k for Cowboys.com. So what is Cowboys.com really worth?

Seeing as how you brought it up many of you probably don't know I was one of the investors along with Eric, Rick & Sahar that acquired Cowboys.com

Because of our LLC confidentiality clause I can't say much but if you knew the reality of the domain it would go down in corporate history as one of the worst fumbles EVER! That being said I'm very happy they did fumble it :smilewinkgrin:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are we in the .CA domain business doing to heighten awarenes of the advantages of Canadian businesses owning a .CA name?
It doesn't matter if it is a great tool for them if they don't understand why.
We have to tell them that the .CA name will identify them as a Canadian company which is a big plus to people looking for Canadian goods or information.
We have to tell them that using a .CA name in Canada is NOT stepping down from .Com if they are a Canadian business. Just look at the all the realtors that are more than happy to use the .CA extension.

I can tell you now...if CIRA said they were going to add $1 to registrations, all of which would go towards marketing the benefits of the .CA extension to business and public in Canada...I would have no problem with it.

As far as companies using "throw away" names...it is the prices wanted for generics that convinces them to go to the "throw aways". And with the right marketing a good "common phrase" name can be very successful.

We have to stop looking at names for their Pay Per Click value when talking about corporate use...they want to sell their product. Type-in has value...otherwise you market/advertise the hell out of it....and the "common phrase" names work just fine for them....

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What are we in the .CA domain business doing to heighten awarenes of the advantages of Canadian businesses owning a .CA name?
It doesn't matter if it is a great tool for them if they don't understand why.
We have to tell them that the .CA name will identify them as a Canadian company which is a big plus to people looking for Canadian goods or information.
We have to tell them that using a .CA name in Canada is NOT stepping down from .Com if they are a Canadian business. Just look at the all the realtors that are more than happy to use the .CA extension.

I can tell you now...if CIRA said they were going to add $1 to registrations, all of which would go towards marketing the benefits of the .CA extension to business and public in Canada...I would have no problem with it.

As far as companies using "throw away" names...it is the prices wanted for generics that convinces them to go to the "throw aways". And with the right marketing a good "common phrase" name can be very successful.

We have to stop looking at names for their Pay Per Click value when talking about corporate use...they want to sell their product. Type-in has value...otherwise you market/advertise the hell out of it....and the "common phrase" names work just fine for them....

Some excellent points.

But the best you bring up relates to CIRA. What exactly are they doing. Has anyone ever seen anykind of ad for .ca from them.

I've run DB's of far more than a million items including names, addies, phones passwords etc etc etc. It took one person part-time to admin.

They require substantial server power to back up the queries but honestly how much do they really need?

For the $$$$$ they are getting should be seeing them far more proactive in advertising the advantages of the .ca extension.

There is a starting point. How about a letter(s) to the board of directors demanding they start spending some of the excess they're getting on some substantial promotion.

Lord.... a one page ad in the business section of the major papers across canada would cost them peanuts and inspire thousands of businesses to act.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a Ford franchise owner you expect Ford Motor company to do it due diligence in marketing to promote their brand..and you are paying for it in the transfer payments back to them for cars sold. It is a win/win for everyone.
I would think that as a registrar you would put the same pressure on CIRA to promote their brand. I don't think it is fair for us as resellers to expect CIRA to market the brand to help us resell our names:) but CIRA spending resources to advertise the brand would certainly bring more awarenes to those who have sites active and registrars who sell the names for CIRA...as well as encouraging other to get on board the .CA extension so that it is the one they want when developing for Canadian products/services..

I know this just skims topics that deserve more in-depth attention but I just wanted to put it out there...

This is not downplaying the obvious vale of a .Com name but simply putting a positive spin on the value of .CA in Canada when you are interested in reaching a Canadian market.

ianccc

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do have an update on CIRA
--------------------------------
Ian,

I apologize for the delay in replying. Paul had forwarded your concerns earlier in December and I forgot to follow up.

We are currently finalizing plans for our Millionth Domain name registration event. There will be a significant push to involve the media through PR and advertising in order to expose the event, and by extension, the dot-ca brand, to a broad cross section of the Canadian public. We will also be allowing CIRA registrars, registrants, and Members to participate through other means.

In terms of specifics, as plans are not yet finalized, I am not at liberty to say. However, I can address one of your questions at this point. We will not be concentrating on the specific millionth registration but rather on surpassing the 1,000,000 domain milestone. Due to the way the registry operates we have no way of know exactly which domain will be the millionth active registration. Secondly, the system would be easy to game in order to become the millionth domain. That said, we are planning on profiling dot-ca domain holders and their domains as part of the celebration - details on how to participate will be released in January.

Finally, CIRA will be making a more concerted marketing push through 2008 and beyond so you will be seeing more promotion of dot-ca to Canadians. Stay tuned.

Best regards,

David Hicks

Director of Marketing and Communications
CIRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators