Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Are new gtld's any good, and are they worth a punt ?

Justzed

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to forum and have dabbled a little with domains (not hit it big yet) ha ha !
I would be grateful to you experienced domainers for your opinion on for example 'cheap online.flights' or 'mensdesigner.clothing' ?
I don't own or want these names but interested whether the .clothing or .flights counts as a keyword, and is there much value in exact domain match these days ?
I have 5 domains in mind with same gtld, but at £20 a pop it's a £100 at stake.....
PS. The 5 domains collectively have 225k broad searches and 65k exact on estibot.

Thanks in advance hopefully, Z

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no market for these new extensions, stay away from them, you will end up wasting your money

ulterios

Don't look back, it's confusing!
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
As gilescoley said, stay away from these new extensions. There are only a very select few that are worth the money and these will only wind up being a waste of money unless you have an ultra premium name.

The renewals on these are usually much higher on most of them than the traditional extensions so they wind up costing you more at renewal time as well.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you're starting out, it is important to realize that domaining is full of newbie traps, and it is fueled a lot by the greater fool theory too.
Don't be a victim. Be always skeptical of what you hear and read, because the end-of-dot-com prophets and the sellers of new extensions usually have a vested interest and want to sell you something ;)

Now, it's okay to gamble a bit, but gambling is not the same as investing. You have to sort the wheat from the shaft, and look at things objectively, without hype and without blinders on.
Good luck :)

ulterios

Don't look back, it's confusing!
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Now, it's okay to gamble a bit, but gambling is not the same as investing.
Perfectly said Katherine. Too many people out there (especially the new domainers) think that buying domains is gambling, and if you are doing it right then it is not gambling.

You have to sort the wheat from the shaft, and look at things objectively, without hype and without blinders on.
Good luck :)
LOL, I love this part of your reply. I'm gonna have to remember this one! ;)

Nasrin Islam

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
well said katherine! thumbs up:)

but there are some people like me who wants to invest not to gamble but the reality is there is no .com prophet and 5 figure $ prophet ether available on my hand. Now what to do?

I got printing.gallery and its almost 2 years old. should I wait couple of more years to see its success or drop it for not to waist renewal money? please advice.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are the odds that you will eventually make a sale ? They are very remote, and it's already hard enough to sell .com domains. What is certain though, is that the renewal fee has to be paid every year. Essentially the odds are stacked against you. It's OK to gamble as long as your portfolio is not 80% new TLDs.
Losses are fine - they can be written off for tax purposes.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators