• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Are you a Domainer/Website Developer/Website Owner/Internet Entrepreneur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Roy

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
2,337
Reaction score
35
I was involved in a discussion yesterday that got me thinking (unusual I know, but it had to happen one day :lol:). The discussion was around the annual value of the domain business. In the end the other member and I amicably agreed to disagree on our opinions, it was obvious that we approached the valuation process from entirely different view points, hence the difference in valuations.

Anyhow this, as I said above, got me thinking. Am I still a domainer? Have I now progressed onto a different platform? I am now developing some of my domains, some as PPC sites and working towards full development of those and indeed others. So am I now no longer a domainer but a website developer or website owner? Or, because I have a mixture of domains that I sell (or try to at least) and also develop some sites am I better described as an internet entrepreneur (successful or not is not a concideration), someone who now looks for an opportunity to make money via the internet business?

If the later of the options then that would explain my holistic view of the industry, why I now am interested in total advertising spending on the internet rather than just PPC revenues (and similar). If this is the case then I think that many on this forum also are no longer 'domainers' as such, for many now have monetized websites, partake in affiliate programs, sell advertising space (banners, links, etc.) on their websites.

Some may think this is just a pedantic point, but actually it is quite serious in that it shows how domainers progress in the industry and how one person views the 'industry' as being worth a couple of billion dollars and another views the 'industry' as being worth so much more. This could also explain differences in valuations of domain names. There is obviously no right or wrong answer, but opinions on this would be appreciated.

So what are you?

Domainer?

Website Developer?

Website Owner?

Internet Entrepreneur?
 
Hi Touch,

Good reply, if I had included that option you would have thought of another option :lol:
 
MG, dcristo thank you.

But to save this post bottoming down into total uselessness please keep future posts to which of the 4 classifications would you class yourself as, and if possible reasons why?
 
sort of an SEO, sort of a blogger, sort of a domain/website owner + developer. is that vague enough? :)
 
Definition:

"Domainers are individuals and companies that make business with domain names (domaining)."

So you are still a domainer!

If you want to maximize revenue of your domains then you need to develop them, market them...

Billbo you are now doing this next step, this probably means you are no longer a newbie ... Yeah!


P.S:

Domainers are Internet Entrepreneurs but not the inverse:

You can be an Internet Entrepreneur and make a lot of money without having a site.

Exemple:

Some marketers having very good ppc skills may advertise merchants sites.
They just invest money in Adwords and Yahoo search marketing and manage ad campaigns.

...
 
Thanks for the questions BILLBO. I wish you had included DomainInvestor because thats what I consider myself.

I suppose I would fall under the simple heading of "domainer" and working toward Website Developer, then Website Owner, and then Internet Entrepreneur. I may not ever make the latter...lol.
 
a starving (artist) domainer who will one day be wealth off
 
I will put myself as an example to demonstrate my point of view.

We are all internet entrepreneurs. 80% of my online investment budget and go towards buying domain names from the aftermarket and expired market, which are later on either resold or held for passive ppc income. 20% go towards website development and advertising.

I consider myself to be a hybrid, 80% domainer and 20% developer.
 
I think I'm an Internet Entrepreneur - it takes in all of the above.

Online Marketer might also apply. Most of my activity revolves around using domains in one way or another because that seems to be where the best opportunity is right now. I've tried online marketing, network marketing, affiliate programs but those are much more time intensive with less return for the average person. There are so many things you can do with domains - I'm always willing to experiment to try and get a higher return.
 
I now find that I look at domains and think 'how can that be monetized' and 'what development potential has that domain and what would it cost to develop'. I now find myself not thinking that a domain name will cost $2/$6/$8/$20, etc., but I now think of the cost as registration fee or purchase cost and basic website cost as a whole.

It is strange but I have suddenly become medium term in my outlook, I of course would sell one of my domains if the price was right, but now before I register or purchase a domain I already have in mind how the domain will be developed and that is my initial goal 99% of the time. As I state in my signature I have 50 State domains all being worked on for PPC Templates (by the inhouse team here), already though I am well on the way with the planning to develop them into much bigger websites. I guess then that 'now' as Cybertonic kindly said I am 'no longer a newbie'.

I think I am now only looking at spending 10% on domains (only through lack of cash) the rest is going on website development projects for my domains. Perhaps that is why my view of the value of the market is holistic in nature.

P.S.
That does not mean I think I know it all, I definately do not!
 
All of the above. Diversification - the best way to make money.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom