Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Auto Manufacturer's Name for Dealers? TM issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cbattles

Let's just say that I have a friend. This friend noticed a buying frendzy on eBay where for example the pair of domain names "Hummer-H2.com" and "HummerH2Rentals.com" sold for over $12,000. And that friend decided to make a quick buck by registering and selling similar names on eBay. Considering that dealers would most likely be the people buying names like "buyHummerH2.com," etc. is this a big TM issue or what? Forgive me for being uneducated on the subject.

Thanks

Domain Summit 2024

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that your "friend" research the potential TM on USPTO.gov ... and then have a real heart-to-heart as to whether he/she really wishes to either become a domain speculator or potential (depending on the research of the TM) cybersquatter. My two-and-a-half sense! ;)
Good Luck.

PS. I ain't no lawyer!

C

cbattles

It seems, from what I've read, that for example, a Hummer dealer would be able to use a site like "buyHummerH2.com" because a Hummer dealer is related to the company that makes the Hummer (the company that holds the trade mark.) And because they are related in the sense that the more money the dealer makes, the more money AM General (makers of the Hummer) makes - there is no trade mark issue.

But, I ain't a lawyer either. lol :laugh:

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cbattles, you are aware those ebay auctions were fake right?

S

Silverwire

Not a lawyer, but in the absence on one, my 2 cents:

yes, a dealer may be able to legally use the name. But YOU (err, I mean your friend) are not a dealer, and while I follow your logic, I don't think that the intent to sell to an "authorized" user protects you from action on the TM.

However, it is not illegal for you to sell the names if someone buys them before action is taken on th TM. But not a great strategy, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom