Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Best extension in terms of investment?

Best Extension(s) for DName Investment?

• .COM

Votes: 47 68.1%
  • .NET

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • .ORG

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • .INFO

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • .BIZ

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • .US

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • .CO.UK

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • .CO.UK

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • .DE

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • .TV

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol @ DomeBase :D

As a side note, I agree with safesys, the sample data is too biased.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Omni

Ah... you mean that people who own domains with a certain extension are more likely to vote for that extension out of self-interest and bias the results?

CrucialDom

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Ah... you mean that people who are afraid that their .coms will be devalued if .info and .biz becomes a big success are more likely to vote for .com out of self-interest and bias the results? :D

CrucialDom

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nope I mean we lack end users' input (darn I'm doing first year stats in Uni now and it really isn't fun! :D)

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CrucialDom

Ah... you mean that people who are afraid that their .coms will be devalued if .info and .biz becomes a big success are more likely to vote for .com out of self-interest and bias the results? :D

CrucialDom

:D

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nope I mean we lack end users' input (darn I'm doing first year stats in Uni now and it really isn't fun! :D)

Hmmm... so appraisals from each other on DNForum are not worthwhile, but only those of the general public?

appraisals are based on what is occuring in the present, the poll is based on expectation/hope/crystal ball reading :)

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
appraisals are based on what is occuring in the present, the poll is based on expectation/hope/crystal ball reading :)

The present value of an asset is not based on expected future earnings from that asset?

There are lots more factors than just direct earnings from an asset that affects sales value - especially vanity sales (the bigger ticket stuff).

But taking just that single element, corporates know what they are getting with .com, they know its recognized and they know it carries prestige and good marketing roi (assuming its a good root term) - that's grounded in the here and now.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are lots more factors than just direct earnings from an asset that affects sales value - especially vanity sales (the bigger ticket stuff).

But taking just that single element, corporates know what they are getting with .com, they know its recognized and they know it carries prestige and good marketing roi (assuming its a good root term) - that's grounded in the here and now.

For a single period, Return on Investment is generally calculated as ((ending value - starting value) / starting value) - 1.

For multiple periods, Return on Investment is generally defined as the discount rate that sets the Net Present Value of current and future cash flows equal to zero.

If any investor wishes to pay more for an asset than the sum of discounted future cash flows in consideration of "vanity" or any other reason, they can do so, but it will have a negative Net Present Value. For profit-maximization, valuation should be based on the sum of discounted future cash flows.... which has everything to do with expectations of the future (and the risk or safety thereof).

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

well... guess I should get off my high horse and show a little respect to a moderator :)

I certainly agree that .com is a safer bet than the alternative extensions and provides alot more short-term reward for marketing dollars... you only have to market your second-level name, not overcome public inertia against the gTLD :)

live long... and prosper safesys ;)

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I looked at my stats for Physician.info today and saw that it received 250 unique visitors today! Looks like it was written up on the following newsletter...

http://www.llrx.com/buzz/buzz132.htm

This is just a small step, but hey, if more developed .INFOs begin to attract attention then the domainspace will blossom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom